How to Make Evil Childproof Caps Easy to Open

Use a flat metal bottle cap opener to break the vacuum seal first. Usually the lid screws right off afterwards. Mine is on the non-business end of an old can opener.

When I was a teenager (yes, there were still dinosaurs back then), I learned to simply bang the jar or bottle top on the table a few times (upside down), then open it. Same principle. Nearly always worked.

Does anyone have "the best thing since sliced bread" for glass jar lids - spaghetti sauce, maraschino cherries (got to have those for our occaisional evening cocktail), jam, pickles, etc.? And, not just those gripper sheets/things. Something with a mechanical advantage to multiply the torque.

As I age I sometimes wish one of our sons was around when DW asks me to open a jar, especially the oldest, his arms are as big as my legs!

I usually jam the skinny end of a teaspoon up under one of the ridges, and that often yields a little pop and releases the pressure.

Other than that I recommend you make your best brute force face, and use a towel, and just go for it.

When I was a teenager (yes, there were still dinosaurs back then), I learned to simply bang the jar or bottle top on the table a few times (upside down), then open it. Same principle. Nearly always worked.
I’ve done the same successfully many times, though sometimes I have to resort to some other means.

In restaurant kitchens, we'd often open the lids of large, one-gallon jars by tapping them (in the direction of unscrewing) with the back end of a large meat cleaver. The blow would dig into the metal a little, and the cleaver had enough mass to start the lid turning just enough to get it started.

Tried it at home a few times, but it's harder to hit it at just the right angle with the smaller jars.

Does anyone have "the best thing since sliced bread" for glass jar lids - spaghetti sauce, maraschino cherries (got to have those for our occaisional evening cocktail), jam, pickles, etc.? And, not just those gripper sheets/things. Something with a mechanical advantage to multiply the torque.

As I age I sometimes wish one of our sons was around when DW asks me to open a jar, especially the oldest, his arms are as big as my legs!

My son got me this for Christmas a couple of years ago after I developed some severe arthritis in my hand. Works like a champ. https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Restaurant-Automatic-Seniors-Arthritis/dp/B089SNZD4N/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1IHWVBGG3VMNU&keywords=battery%2Boperated%2Bjar%2Bopener%2Bfor%2Bseniors&qid=1699673955&sprefix=battery%2Bjar%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-5&th=1

Miss Molly, That looks like the best opener yet. My wife always asks me for Christmas ideas and I never know what to tell her. Now I have one.

Cheers!

My parents had one on their counter as they aged. They just used it on all jars, why not? I assume we’ll have one someday too…:blush:

Thank you Miss Molly I just ordered one of those openers and it says it will be here tomorrow by 10pm. I'll let you know how it does. now I have to put it in the "Last thing ordered from Amazon thread"!

Yay! When using it at first I just tried briefly pressing the button and nothing happened. You have to keep pressing the button until it turns the top and you hear it break the seal.

Back
Top Bottom