How to Make Evil Childproof Caps Easy to Open

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Sometimes the little things make us smile.

This morning DW asked me to take the @$%& cap off her mouthwash bottle. While I opened it, she said I wish there was a way to bypass the $#&@ childproof feature. We don’t have kids living with us.

And it couldn’t be easier. I used a utility knife instead of clippers.

The link below shows how to easily remove childproof features from all sorts of containers, not just the one pictured here. Too soon old, too late smart - only took me 60+ years to ask myself the simple question.

Life is good again…

https://www.instructables.com/How-to-make-Evil-Childproof-caps-easy-to-open/

Attachments

• IMG_2868.jpeg
    IMG_2868.jpeg
    401.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2869.jpeg
    IMG_2869.jpeg
    594.9 KB · Views: 4
That's a good idea, I've always just resigned myself to the stupidity for us, as we don't have kids here either.

I guess, saving the "fixed" cap for the next container would work in many cases as we buy the same product repeatedly since we like it.

Just have to remember to put it away (like other things) if little kids come visit.

No problem with the Listerine caps, but in recent months these have been driving me crazy. The DW can't get the lid off and I struggle with them. They changed something?
Campbell-s-Chunky-Soup-Beef-Soup-with-Country-Vegetables-15-25-oz-Microwavable-Bowl_80513dfd-21ec-4579-804a-d9c957241855.91c9ebaea92cd9babe65d3b030573ade.jpeg

And I thought I was the only crazy person to reuse the prior bottle cap. The local pharmacy offers non-childproof caps, but they don't fit well and go flying if you push them off. So now I swap pills into the prior bottle version that did not have this problem. It feels like product usability has been forgotten.

Opening the metal pull tab is not the problem. Getting the $%$#$%8\*$ red top off is the problem. They have changed the red cap design from what you see in the video above. In the past it was simple to remove the red cap, just like in the video, not so anymore.

There must be trick but until I figure it out (too lazy to look for the answer on line) I'm using a flat blade screwdriver as a pry bar.

Last edited:
My medicine has been coming with a reversible lid. Screw it on one way, and it's 'child (and anyone with weak hand) resistant", the other way and it's regular screw on.

But OP tip is great for products w/o that feature. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I come across one.

-ERD50

Opening the metal pull tab is not the problem. Getting the $%$#$%8\*$ red top off is the problem. They have changed the red cap design from what you see in the video above. In the past it was simple to remove the red cap, just like in the video, not so anymore.

Video? I'm not seeing a video...

On the gas cans I bought “No-Spill”, they have an aggressive mechanism to keep the cap from turning off (to fill the can). Thankfully, I was able to grind down the plastic stop and make it usable again. These things just go overboard as they engineer them for the lowest common denominator in society.

Last edited:
On the gas cans I bought “No-Spill”, the have an aggressive mechanism to keep the cap from turning off (to fill the can). Thankfully, I was able to grind down the plastic stop and make it usable again. These things just go overboard as they engineer them for the lowest common denominator in society.
+100. I did exactly the same with mine (pic below) after ONE trip to fill it - ridiculous. You could hurt yourself trying to open the @#$% thing! Much better ever since. I will say the No-Spill feature was well worth it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 2.00.45 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 2.00.45 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
Video? I'm not seeing a video...

I saw it. I guess whoever posted it just deleted the entire post?

I guess it wasn't directly related to the problem (metal cap vs red cap), but kinda weird to just go 'poof' rather then edit and say 'never mind, different problem' or something. Makes us question our memories!

It's in my history, if you are curious.... wait, a topic for the TIL thread - Today I learned, if you watch a youtube video that was embedded in a thread (as opposed to watching it in youtube), it doesn't register in your history!

edit/add: search "cambells chunky bowls lid removal youtube" and it should come up (starts out "okay this is going to be the stupidest how-to video you've ever seen unless you like eating these microwave soup bowls like I do") - who knows, maybe some posters ARE having problems with the metal tab part?

-ERD50

Last edited:
Sometimes the little things make us smile.

This morning DW asked me to take the @$%& cap off her mouthwash bottle. While I opened it, she said I wish there was a way to bypass the $#&@ childproof feature. We don’t have kids living with us.

And it couldn’t be easier. I used a utility knife instead of clippers.

The link below shows how to easily remove childproof features from all sorts of containers, not just the one pictured here. Too soon old, too late smart - only took me 60+ years to ask myself the simple question.

Life is good again…

https://www.instructables.com/How-to-make-Evil-Childproof-caps-easy-to-open/

Hi Midpack,

Thanks for sharing this life hack! I'd read a similar online article some time ago and tried it.

I use tin snips to remove mouthwash cap tabs, gets the job more safely than a utility knife and more quickly than nail clippers. But your post reminded me to try the new trauma shears on the next bottle cap. That would be easier, because the trauma shears are already in the bathroom.

I've tried the thumbtack/toothpick hack, and it is a big hassle. Just get a replacement cap. For Rx, I'd ask at the pharmacy for a non-childproof cap.

For non-Rx, shop online. It may be easier to buy a replacement pill bottle then to search for the right size cap. I label and date the replacement bottle before I forget what's in it. No fancy labels, just painter's tape and a permanent marker.

I guess it wasn't directly related to the problem (metal cap vs red cap), but kinda weird to just go 'poof' rather then edit and say 'never mind, different problem' or something. Makes us question our memories!

-ERD50
Yep, it's gone and I forgot (well maybe) who posted it. I should have copied their post in my response. :facepalm:

Yesterday morning Dw made french toast and ask me if I could open the new bottle of Log Cabin syrup. I got the bottle and proceeded to twist, no luck,then got a rag to get a better grip, nope,then went to get pliers to try. Then DW says "run some hot water over it", which worked! Ohh but then it had the white seal on it that you are supposed to just grab one of the tabs to rip it off! no go on that either. I finally took a knife and stuck it in to make a hole,put cap back on and was able to get some syrup on my toast. My 72 year old fingers are not as strong as they were before and DW is even worse than me!

Utility knives are a no-no for this job. Instead, use small snips to notch and bend back the over cap from underneath. The easy to use cap falls out.

I hate those seals. Just pull on the little tab, you know the one that's so little you can't grab it. Then proceed to remove the seal in many little pieces. AARRGGHH!!!!
Almost as bad as the shrink wrapped plastic on ear drop bottles.

For gas cans, you can buy the "old school" spouts on Amazon. They even come with a vent plug you can install to make it work like normal. Those are easily among the best purchases I've ever made. Turns the new "spill and splash" tanks into something which allows me to reliably transfer fuel.

Does anyone have "the best thing since sliced bread" for glass jar lids - spaghetti sauce, maraschino cherries (got to have those for our occaisional evening cocktail), jam, pickles, etc.? And, not just those gripper sheets/things. Something with a mechanical advantage to multiply the torque.

As I age I sometimes wish one of our sons was around when DW asks me to open a jar, especially the oldest, his arms are as big as my legs!

For gas cans, you can buy the "old school" spouts on Amazon. They even come with a vent plug you can install to make it work like normal. Those are easily among the best purchases I've ever made. Turns the new "spill and splash" tanks into something which allows me to reliably transfer fuel.

I agree that most gas cans today need to be modified, however, I’ve been very happy with the “No-Spill” brand (see post #10). The valve works very well.

Does anyone have "the best thing since sliced bread" for glass jar lids - spaghetti sauce, maraschino cherries (got to have those for our occaisional evening cocktail), jam, pickles, etc.? And, not just those gripper sheets/things. Something with a mechanical advantage to multiply the torque.

I've found the technique that Venturer mentioned of running warm to hot water around the rim of the container/cover interface works the best. Maybe 10 seconds worth of hot water and then regular effort may be used to remove the cover, or you may have to use the assist of one of those grippy, dimpled rubber sheets.

edit/add: search "cambells chunky bowls lid removal youtube" and it should come up (starts out "okay this is going to be the stupidest how-to video you've ever seen unless you like eating these microwave soup bowls like I do") - who knows, maybe some posters ARE having problems with the metal tab part?

-ERD50

Saw it. Thanks.

midpack--thanks for the video. Good info.
Luckily, our pharmacy puts the reversible lids on, so I flip our over.

There are electric jar openers you can buy. My Mom had one that worked well

Look on 'amazon for "higher torque can opener" they have one for seniors and those with arthritis. I am considering getting it. Those floppy gripper things don't work for me.

Does anyone have "the best thing since sliced bread" for glass jar lids - spaghetti sauce, maraschino cherries (got to have those for our occaisional evening cocktail), jam, pickles, etc.? And, not just those gripper sheets/things. Something with a mechanical advantage to multiply the torque. ...
Screw-on/off lids? Strap wrench. Cheap and effective. $10-15 on Amazon for a two-wrench big/small set. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=strap+wrench

I agree that most gas cans today need to be modified, however, I’ve been very happy with the “No-Spill” brand (see post #10). The valve works very well.

Thanks for the recommendation. There are so many out there to choose from, and I guess there's been a lot of experimentation by manufacturers trying to meet the (stupid) California CARB standards. The vast majority are a miserable failure, IMHO.

It seems the ones which succeed in not splashing fuel all over, take forever to dribble the fuel out so slowly that my arm gets tired and I risk dropping the whole thing, or splashing it around when I try to reposition my stance.

Luckily, at this point I have what amounts to a lifetime supply of gas cans. Better still, I was able to score four, six-gallon cans before they stopped making those. As far as I know this is still considered a portable tank under federal law. I always wondered what they think we're going to do with that extra gallon, which made them switch to five-gallon cans.

As I age I sometimes wish one of our sons was around when DW asks me to open a jar, especially the oldest, his arms are as big as my legs!
Use a flat metal bottle cap opener to break the vacuum seal first. Usually the lid screws right off afterwards. Mine is on the non-business end of an old can opener.

Attachments

• comboopener.jpg
    comboopener.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom