The resignation letter

nun

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm done. I'm 3 months away from retiring and today I've decided to hand in my resignation.....I work in academia so 2 months is expected notice and they like more if possible. So what did you include in your goodbye letter. Here's mine....it's pretty boring

I have decided to leave the university and thought that I should let you know as soon as I made my decision.
My last day will be in early February 2014, although I still have to coordinate that with HR.

Sounds good. Like yours, mine was very matter-of-fact and brief, and I think that fits the purpose.

A few days before retirement, I sent out a lengthy e-mail to everybody I had ever worked with, thanking them, telling them my plans, and so on. The resignation letter is not an appropriate place for all that, though, so that is why I like the one you wrote.

Congratulations!

I added some nice language about assisting with transition and thanks for the experience, etc. Seemed too short without that. YMMV.

To me there's a difference between a mid-career resignation letter and a retirement letter.

The last resignation letter I wrote was in 1999 from my first Megacorp, when I was only 33. At that point you don't burn bridges in case you wanted to be considered for re-hire in the future. Plus, I liked my boss so when I wrote her the letter I explained that I was not leaving because of any specific dissatisfaction with my current situation other than the opportunity to learn newer and more relevant technologies. And I thanked her and the company for the opportunity to develop my career and build my skills.

If it were a retirement letter I would have just said something like "So long and thanks for all the fish."

I'm sure it felt good to hand in the letter, if only to solidify in your mind that you're moving on to better things. Congratulations. I'm sure it will be very adventurous for you!

To me there's a difference between a mid-career resignation letter and a retirement letter.

The last resignation letter I wrote was in 1999 from my first Megacorp, when I was only 33. At that point you don't burn bridges in case you wanted to be considered for re-hire in the future. Plus, I liked my boss so when I wrote her the letter I explained that I was not leaving because of any specific dissatisfaction with my current situation other than the opportunity to learn newer and more relevant technologies. And I thanked her and the company for the opportunity to develop my career and build my skills.

If it were a retirement letter I would have just said something like "So long and thanks for all the fish."

Well my letter is sort of a retirement/resignation letter......I'm 50/50 as to whether I'll find another j*b. I'm pretty pissed off with the politics of where I work right now so I don't want to get into long expositions for fear that I'll let some silly comment slip or be hypocritical and leave saying "I hate to go but" etc. Best to keep everything simple and just tell everyone I'm retiring.

Nun - I really like yours - short and to the point. Here is mine with a few name changes

Dear Moe, Larry & Curly;

In accordance with the terms of my Employment Contract, I am hereby giving 6 months written notice of my desire to terminate the contract. As previously discussed, DW is retiring in 2013, and I’m putting the wheels in motion so that I can retire when she does.

I will do whatever I can to provide a seamless transition of my duties during the next 6 months. If acceptable to you, I am currently open to limited part time work beyond April 1, 2013.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Nun - I really like yours - short and to the point. Here is mine with a few name changes

Dear Moe, Larry & Curly;

In accordance with the terms of my Employment Contract, I am hereby giving 6 months written notice of my desire to terminate the contract. As previously discussed, DW is retiring in 2013, and I’m putting the wheels in motion so that I can retire when she does.

I will do whatever I can to provide a seamless transition of my duties during the next 6 months. If acceptable to you, I am currently open to limited part time work beyond April 1, 2013.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Nice, did you go part time?

6 months notice is a lot, my contract is 2 months with a statement that as much notice as possible is desired. I was going to wait another month, but I know that I don't want to work here any more so why wait.

Yes I did go part time - agreed to 48 weeks of 20 hrs a week between 4/1/2013 and 4/1/2014. In exchange, the company bought my remaining shares of company stock.

6 months is a lot for a notice, but that is what all of our owners had in our employment contracts from more than 20 years ago.

I agree that giving your notice now is a better idea than waiting since you are sure of your decision. I wish I would have given my notice earlier

Good move, nun. Now you'll have more time to help people on the forums.

I didn't write a letter. I took the Director out back by the bike sheds and made him an offer he couldn't refuse. Gave 5 months notice. Due to the companies' circumstances at the time, it was going to take that long to negotiate approval with HR. You won't be surprised to hear it was timed to reap what I thought would be maximum benefit for both US and UK tax years due to a fairly hefty redundancy payment. It didn't turn out that way since my leaving was in 2006 (think introduction of 'stacking' rules in late 2006, retroactive for the whole year).

Keep it short and sweet. This is not the place to discuss your reasons: if they want to know, they can do an exit interview. Personally I like to be as clear as possible on the date. If you are meeting the terms of your contract with respect to notice given, why do you have to clear it with HR?

Here's how I would write the same letter:

Dear Professor _______

After careful consideration I have decided to resign my position as Professor in the Department of ________. My last day of work will be February 28, 2014.

Sincerely

Nun

Assuming I don't "get retired" before I choose, I doubt I'll write a letter. I'll tell my boss a month or two ahead, depending on the status of any grants/projects I'm involved with.

I suppose there may be some requirement to notify HR, and definitely the pension folks, but my immediate supervisor is the only one who would notice I'm gone, if anyone... :LOL:

My letter will be something along the lines of this:

To: xxxx

This is to inform you that my last day with X-corp will be MMMM DD, YYYY.

Signed by happy me!

My original plan was to give 2 weeks notice even though they'd like a month. By not giving a month, I technically lose the opportunity to come back (as if I would). Unfortunately, plans change and I'll likely give more than 2 weeks, as I don't want to be involved bringing a new person in for a coworker's job and then leaving them without any training.

Oh, and I planned to email it in. I go back and forth between wanting to see their reactions/body language or being impersonal about it. If it was my prior boss, I definitely would have talked about it.

Assuming I don't "get retired" before I choose, I doubt I'll write a letter. I'll tell my boss a month or two ahead, depending on the status of any grants/projects I'm involved with.

FYI, HR in some places require an official signed letter of your resignation. They like to file paperwork. My boss gave a coworker a hard time for a letter. She didn't understand it and he didn't explain it very well. I think it made her think they wanted her out earlier than her retirement date.

I'm done. I'm 3 months away from retiring and today I've decided to hand in my resignation.....I work in academia so 2 months is expected notice and they like more if possible. So what did you include in your goodbye letter. Here's mine....it's pretty boring

I have decided to leave the university and thought that I should let you know as soon as I made my decision.
My last day will be in early February 2014, although I still have to coordinate that with HR.

First and foremost, congratulations!

In my case, this looks a lot like my first paragraph. Short, yes, but no sweetness there. And the absence hints at some bitterness. I had a couple more paragraphs thanking them and telling them why I was retiring. This appears to have saved me from an exit interview since there was no hints of being a disgruntled employee.

FYI, HR in some places require an official signed letter of your resignation. They like to file paperwork. My boss gave a coworker a hard time for a letter. She didn't understand it and he didn't explain it very well. I think it made her think they wanted her out earlier than her retirement date.

I'm sure there will be paperwork, but probably not a letter per se.

Depending on where you work management may walk you the day you give notice. When I hand them my notice I will be prepared for that potential response.

FYI, HR in some places require an official signed letter of your resignation. They like to file paperwork.

Mine was an e-mail. I drafted it, called my boss to tell her, and then followed up with the e-mail.

When I resigned, I asked for an appointment with my boss. I didn't want her secretary to be the first to know, so I said it was about a HR matter. My boss was extremely busy and I was given an appointment in two weeks. I did not want to wait that long! I prepared the letter and hand delivered it to her office. Then I sent her an email with a PDF copy of the signed letter. That certainly got her attention and I had an immediate phone call!

My resignation letter was brief. I know I posted it in another thread a year or two ago, but I'll post it again for the benefit of those who are newcomers. I wanted to hand it to the head of my division, but he was at a long meeting so I gave it to his two immediate subordinates, my two managers.

"This is to inform you that I am resigning my position at [Megacorp]. My last day will be Friday, October 31st, 2008.

Please begin the process which includes the paperwork I will need to complete so I can have a prompt and orderly transition of my savings plan assets to the accounts of my choice. Because I am paid on a lag basis, I would also appreciate it if you and HR can arrange for my last paycheck to be given to me as soon as possible after my last day because that will speed up the paperwork [Savings Plan Administrator] needs to get before they can disburse the funds to me."

I still get chills reading it again. :)

Long story but mine started out as a conversation and ended up with me convincing them to fire me with a severance package. So the letter was actually written by them.

Wow, how strange that you posted this yesterday.

Because yesterday I also thought about how and when to give my notice.

I plan on giving a six month notice, because it will certainly take that long to recruit and bring up to speed my replacement. And I am willing to assist in that transition.

And just last night I was discussing with DW how I was either going to give that notice at the end of this year effective 7/1/2014, or in June effective 12/31/14, and that based on recent events it would be sooner rather than later.

So your post and this thread are extremely relevant for me, and I've benefited from the suggestions thus far.

Mine was super short. Gave them my date and said I enjoyed working there and to thank my boss for her support. Which gauled me as she has been the least supportive boss, but I don't burn my bridges!

Back
Top Bottom