The resignation letter

Mine was very brief.."just the facts". Like W2R I sent an email to my colleagues expressing my appreciation for having worked with them, but the letter for HR was very brief.

It seems some of you write the letter to HR, and some to your boss. I guess that if you work in HR, they are the same, but otherwise, what is the correct protocol? I always assumed that you wrote to your boss. However, my situation was not typical.

My letter was addressed to my boss but it was a formality to fulfill HR requirements.

I think you resignation letter needs a little warmth. Maybe you could include something like - Thank you for the opportunity to be a part of this institution for the past _ years. Warm thoughts and best wishes to all of you.'
If you don't have warm thoughts then just 'best wishes to all of you.'

I think you resignation letter needs a little warmth. Maybe you could include something like - Thank you for the opportunity to be a part of this institution for the past _ years. Warm thoughts and best wishes to all of you.'
If you don't have warm thoughts then just 'best wishes to all of you.'

My RIF notice wasn't particularly warm...

Congratulations and good luck with your future plans.

When leaving a firm (with or without contract) I always had a short letter such as yours that I handed to my supervisor and had a cc for the HR office that the supervisor could deliver. That way my supervisor had the first news and it became their duty to deal w/HR. By the time HR reached me they had the news and I didn't need to go through further dialogue.

Again, a very "neutral" thank you was all I added beyond what you have written and felt the least said was the best.

A coworker just retired.
He gave two week notice. Had a letter printed out for his boss - but his boss called in sick on d-day... so he gave it to his former boss. (they work closely together) He let the other managers (and his bosses boss) know by email.

It was direct. "This is to notify you that I will be retiring on Nov. 1, 2013. Please let me know what I can do to aide in the transition."

Our work requires a letter for HR. But you turn it in to the boss - and the boss submits it to HR.
(I've scoured the internal websites for all policy stuff related to retirement, quitting, severance, RIF, etc... never know when that info will come in handy.)

I added "Thanks" to the end of my resignation letter and sent it by email to my boss last Thursday. On Friday we had a short chat, but he was ill and said that he wanted a longer conversation on Tuesday...... That's today. He hasn't stopped by so far, and in fact his entire lack of managerial aptitude is one of the reasons I'm leaving. Academia isn't know for its outstanding managers, but my group is pretty much anarchy he's so hands off. That can be good sometimes, when there's lots of cash around, but when things are tight it's a liability. I feel I'm leaving a disfunctional sinking ship. See why I want to keep the resignation letter as short as possible.

Last edited:
Short and sweet, that's good.

Given my boss is a-hole, I want to write all the reasons why he has screwed up many of his employees' life. I want to write managing by fear & intimidation is poisonous approach in dealing with his subordinates. I want to write he is the main reason I am quitting. Yadi, yadi, yada. But it would only lower me to his level and I will probably stick with your approach.

This is just a business transaction. All you need to do is give a date, say you are quitting, and sign it. You can add all the fluff you want to, and it is still just fluff.

The manager probably appreciates a letter because when he gives the letter to HR, HR knows that it was your idea to quit and not the manager's idea.

I have never understood all this agony over how to quit a job. Employers routinely terminate people without agonizing.

I have never understood all this agony over how to quit a job. Employers routinely terminate people without agonizing.

Perhaps if one worked in a small business, partnership, etc., but with megacorp, totally agree!

Perhaps if one worked in a small business, partnership, etc., but with megacorp, totally agree!

Yes. In smaller places where one might have a personal relationship with the owner(s) managers, or coworkers, one might use a softer touch. But with a megacorp, just do what is required.

Short and sweet, that's good. Given my boss is a-hole, I want to write all the reasons why he has screwed up many of his employees' life. I want to write managing by fear & intimidation is poisonous approach in dealing with his subordinates. I want to write he is the main reason I am quitting. Yadi, yadi, yada. But it would only lower me to his level and I will probably stick with your approach.

I agree. My bosses are clueless and pushing me out but as a young sailor, I learned the following quote the hard way...." Never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Ha! It might feel good, but they will reap what they sow........you need to carry around any more baggage......just smile and move on!

Back
Top Bottom