Therapeutic program to reverse cognitive decline

RAE

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I came across this interesting small study (from 2014) recently, and thought perhaps others would be interested. They attempted to reverse mild cognitive decline in 10 people through changes in diet/lifestyle and supplement regime, and were apparently successful (to various degrees, anyway) with 9 out of the 10. The basic diet was designed to minimize inflammation and minimized insulin resistance, so it eliminated most highly processed foods and boosted intake of vegetables, non-farmed fish, and other real foods. The program also has an exercise component, and includes taking various supplements, stress reduction, increasing sleep quality, etc..

This is from the article:
Just as for other chronic illnesses such as atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease, the goal is not simply to normalize metabolic parameters, but rather to optimize them. As an example, a serum homocysteine level of 12 μmol/l is considered to be within normal limits, but is well documented to be suboptimal [27]. Similar arguments can be made for many other metabolic parameters.

And this is from the Summary
:
A novel, comprehensive, and personalized therapeutic system is described that is based on the underlying pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease. The basic tenets for the development of this system are also described.

Of the first 10 patients who utilized this program, including patients with memory loss associated with Alzheimer's disease (AD), amnestic mild cognitive impairment (aMCI), or subjective cognitive impairment (SCI), nine showed subjective or objective improvement.

One potentially important outcome is that all six of the patients whose cognitive decline had a major impact on job performance were able to return to work or continue working without difficulty.

Aging

That's interesting. Those persnickety processed foods seem to be to blame once again.

That's interesting. Those persnickety processed foods seem to be to blame once again.

What, you mean Smartfood isn't *really* making me smarter as I age? Aw, shucks!

Oh well, with N=10 I guess it's still not written in stone.

smartfood-white-cheddar-cheese.tmb-.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom