There are some positives to the pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I traveled and telecommuted the last 13 years of my career as my assigned office was over 300 miles from home. I think companies will have happier, more motivated and productive employees.

I "worked" with many people in the firm that I never met... just by phone and email. While I think it is nicer to meet colleagues and break bread a bit, it isn't necessary to have a productive work relationship IME.

Importantly, we've seen a noticeable and dramatic drop in air and water pollution as a result in the drop off of activity and hopefully we'll be able to retain some of those improvements for the sake of the planet.

^ Gotcha. Will working from home with buying less cloths, less fuel, less lunches out etc. etc. what effect will that have on a growing economy?

Just looking for thoughts on what effect with millions working at home have on economy?

I sure can see the benefits for worker and for company, what will it do for down town etc.?

I happened upon a radio show I used to love- it's a phone ads program from a very rural community barely in listening distance. People sell everything- things you wouldn't think anyone would want. Some notable items this week- fresh fish for canning, fighting chicken chicks, a rear tractor tire, and a blue nosed mule broken to harness. Also lots of guns and farm implements, livestock and guns. We don't want anything but we all love to listen including my kids.

Last edited:
Here is a hypothesis... with so many employees working from home.... if it works well some companies may question why they bother to own or lease so much expensive office space and may downsize their space dramatically to a much smaller office, allowing employees to work from home and having occasional team meetings as needed by renting space at a conference center near to corporate headquarters. Lower costs for the employer and happier employees... not so good for lessors though.

I still have a modest legacy position in a REIT fund which has a huge unrealized cap gain. I’m expecting REITs to be hit very, very hard by this. Commercial, retail, you name it.

I still have a modest legacy position in a REIT fund which has a huge unrealized cap gain. I’m expecting REITs to be hit very, very hard by this. Commercial, retail, you name it.

I sold my REIT position yesterday. I've been in Rick Ferri's Core 4 portfolio for a while, it has been fine, but I too think REITs might be the worst place to be for the coming year.

I sold my REIT position yesterday. I've been in Rick Ferri's Core 4 portfolio for a while, it has been fine, but I too think REITs might be the worst place to be for the coming year.
I decided to ride it out. I can wait 10+ years. I haven’t added to it in years and it’s now a small position compared to the rest of my portfolio.

Well, that's good news about the dogs getting adopted. Even if some of them get returned to the shelter later, the rest will have found homes.

I laughed at the line about "dogs are happy, cats are not."

As for the original question, I'm enjoying the fact that avoiding people is the socially responsible thing to do. It's refreshing to feel that indulging my introversion is doing the right thing.
I admit we’ve been enjoying the peace and quiet. I haven’t been lonely either, but I have my DH sheltering with me, so that makes a big difference.

People sell everything- things you wouldn't think anyone would want. Some notable items this week- fresh fish for canning, fighting chicken chicks, a rear tractor tire, and a blue nosed mule broken to harness.

I'd heard of a "blue nosed gopher" from Roy Rogers, but never a blue nosed mule and had to look that one up. The things I learn on this forum!:)

Optimism is the ability to see good in any situation, no matter how grim. Many of the posts have cheered me up. That's worth something. I think quarantine is working and worth some sacrifice. Isn't it valuable to make it easier to bear?

Yes, and thank you!

Whatever positives there might be are heavily outweighed by the negatives for this pandemic. Millions of lives will be seriously damaged, and given the desire to stay locked down indefinitely, millions more will follow. The finger-pointing will rage on for years (it's already ugly now).

Last edited:
Whatever positives there might be are heavily outweighed by the negatives for this pandemic. Millions of lives will be seriously damaged, and given the desire to stay locked down indefinitely, millions more will follow. The finger-pointing will rage on for years (it's already ugly now), and what little chance there might have been to come to some sort of common ground politically in the US has been obliterated by COVID-19.

Can't agree with the last sentence. Reach common ground politically?

Hahaha

Covid did nothing to change the 0% chance that was ever going to happen.

Yeah, never gonna happen. Those days are gone forever. Trench warfare rules!

Whatever positives there might be are heavily outweighed by the negatives for this pandemic. Millions of lives will be seriously damaged, and given the desire to stay locked down indefinitely, millions more will follow. The finger-pointing will rage on for years (it's already ugly now).
I agree the positives are outweighed by the negatives. But it's still a good idea to count your blessings. I am a lucky woman, and I know it. I am enjoying the extra time with my family. I know it comes at a horrendous cost. My mom almost died. Millions are out of work, but if the choice is being at home and enjoying it and being at home and not enjoying it, why wouldn't you? A smile and some gratitude costs nothing and it's good for your blood pressure.

^ Gotcha. Will working from home with buying less cloths, less fuel, less lunches out etc. etc. what effect will that have on a growing economy?

Just looking for thoughts on what effect with millions working at home have on economy?

I sure can see the benefits for worker and for company, what will it do for down town etc.?

Agreed... less fuel (and less pollution as well), less lunches out, less clothes... but knowing American's propensity to spend that money saved will most likely be frittered away on something else rather than saved so it'll just be spent on different stuff.

Yes, of course, but that doesn't mean a horrible situation has no positives at all.

Most things in this world have both positives and negatives. If we ever see only one or the other, we are probably not looking with an open mind.

Sometimes, the overwhelming negatives are easier to deal with if we can spend a bit of time focusing on the small positives.

I have seen news articles how the air quality has improved so much in large metro areas.

Those of us who are concerned about being tracked by facial recognition cameras can now roam free once again, wearing a handsome new mask! As long as they turn their cell phones off, lol.

I just saw this in the headlines. Never thought the drug cartels would be negatively impacted.
Cartels are scrambling': Virus snarls global drug tradeCartels are scrambling':

We've discovered some other brands of things we like. We usually buy coffee at World Market, but can't because it's closed. We found a Community Coffee blend that we like, and another brand at a local grocery that we like too.

The pandemic has brought to the forefront heroes that rise to the task needed. One hero, my favorite, General Todd Semonite (Army Corp of Engineers) did an amazing job organizing temporary hospitals around the country. I loved his "GET-R-DONE" attitude. A truly inspirational, fun to watch, totally positive attitude. You just knew he'd get the job done while watching him speak, with his eagerness in how to do it. He deserves the Congressional Medal of Honor for his leadership. I want to give him a big hug!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom