There must be a tremendous amount of profit for vendors of Medicare Advantage Plans!

Whenever I see a washed up has been actor or athlete hawking medicare advantage plans, reverse mortgages, or walk in tubs I always google their name with the word “alcoholic” after it. Like “Kelsey Grammer alcoholic”, “Joe Namath alchoholic”, Mike Ditka Alcoholic”. And you would be amazed at what turns up, and in what percentage. It’s not 100%, but it makes for some interesting reading. And it begs the question, “why in the world would anyone take advice or suggestions from any of these people?”

I haven’t seen any of these ads and didn’t even know that Joe Namath was still alive.

No cable TV, no broadcast TV, no streaming service that includes ads, no radio. No Medicare Advantage ads!!!:clap:

I do not watch TV, and this is the 1st time I hear the name Joe Namath.

And it begs the question, “why in the world would anyone take advice or suggestions from any of these people?”

They test these people out for credibility with the target audience- I know that because I get the occasional e-Rewards survey with questions on how credible various celebrities are for a certain product or service. Maybe the people who believe them remember them for roles they played on TV ("This is Dr. Frasier Crane. I'm listening") or their athletic accomplishments.

Capitalism at work is a thing of beauty!! If it grinds on you, record your shows and fast forward through Joe Namath like I do.

Vw

Whenever I see a washed up has been actor or athlete hawking medicare advantage plans, reverse mortgages, or walk in tubs I always google their name with the word “alcoholic” after it. Like “Kelsey Grammer alcoholic”, “Joe Namath alchoholic”, Mike Ditka Alcoholic”. And you would be amazed at what turns up, and in what percentage. It’s not 100%, but it makes for some interesting reading. And it begs the question, “why in the world would anyone take advice or suggestions from any of these people?”

Perhaps some of us believe in second chances?

All those actors plying sales on those commercials indicates to me that they are at the ends of their careers and Washed Up. I see them as panhandlers and a fragment of what they were. Why don't they just ride off into the sunset? Hint: Ego.

I think it is less about ego and more about easy money.

I remember seeing a reality show where a ballplayer was paid $20,000 to show up at an event for 10 minutes to brush his teeth as a "live" advertisement for a toothpaste. In addition a limo was provided to pick him up and drop him off, he lived about 30 minutes away.

You should watch some international TV overseas, you'd be surprised at the amount of actors of all ages doing commercials for all sorts of things. It is easy money.

A famous Hollywood agent said this famous quote: "There is no such thing as bad publicity". As long as enough of the public seems their fame in a positive light, there is little in there personal lives that would dissuade them. Murder, child molestation, or rape - crimes which harm others - are the only thing. But "personal demon" types of issues do not impact their popularity. In fact, it can enhance it, as they can be viewed as someone overcoming or trying to overcome the issue.

I too am sick of Joe Namath and Medicare ads. Jeesh--do we need a Medicare ad every 15 minutes for the last 45? ish days. grrr

It could be worse. Think about the poor folks in Georgia...they have been enduring non-stop political ads FOR MONTHS ON END! :cool:

Apparently not if you live in rural or semi-rural areas. Our county (population 40,000) is losing its last available plan at the end of this year. There were about a dozen plans available here a decade ago, so I hear.

I have family that lives in Alaska and there is no such thing as a Medicare Advantage plan in the ENTIRE state.

All those actors plying sales on those commercials indicates to me that they are at the ends of their careers and Washed Up. I see them as panhandlers and a fragment of what they were. Why don't they just ride off into the sunset? Hint: Ego.

I don't know...look at Tom Selleck; "Blue Bloods"...it's in the 11th season (and ranked #7 in the rankings...so probably not going away anytime soon) and is syndicated. And I see re-runs of the original Magnum PI fairly often, so I have a hard time thinking that he's suffering financially.

Last edited:
It could be worse. Think about the poor folks in Georgia...they have been enduring non-stop political ads FOR MONTHS ON END! :cool:
Let me just add that the GA mailbox fliers have been unbelievable! So I haven’t been totally cut off.

Maybe Joe should stop hawking Medicare and return to the 0-12 Jets!

Let me just add that the GA mailbox fliers have been unbelievable! So I haven’t been totally cut off.

Oddly enough, my DW is still getting the occasional flyer from some far flung PACs and we moved from there in 2018. We are both registered to vote in our new state but I don't get the mailers.

So for us that get "stuck" paying two or three times more than the "standard" $144 monthly rate, (a.k.a. IRMAA) does the insurer get the extra money or does the government keep it?

If they don't, I wonder where that money actually goes? :angel: NNTR

Oh no, Car-Guy, the gobmint never gives more than it has to!

They pay the same annual rate for each beneficiary enrolled in Medicare Advantage (cost of care is the same regardless of the premium paid). So you pay $350 a month for Part B Coverage - Medicare pays the plan $144 and the rest goes into the Part B Trust Fund.

- Rita

:confused: That’s Bob Eubanks.

P.S. I’ll stick with yoga, thanks.

The internet? says he's worth $25 Million, does he need to hawk such a silly item?
I've been known to stand in front of the TV, stand on one leg while making body movements to keep my balance up to par.

Based on the amount of Ads on TV during Enrollment Season, that do not come cheap. There must be a big kickback to Agents/Services that pay for them.

Let alone the cost of Joe Namath's and Danny Glover's Fees!

Same goes got Carshield and other Car insurance programs (That Clark Howard and most of the smart money advises against)

If the insurance companies channeled that money in our healthcare cost and quality, it would make for a better healthcare world.

Really Grinds my Gears.... Sorry. Other than the fact I am sick of Joe Namath's whiney voice.

Every time we see Broadway Joe, my wife says the same thing. We're on traditional Medigap instead of Medicare Advantage plans. I'm leery of any program that's pushed so hard in advertisments.

Oh man, you missed this,

But the licensed PSYCHOLOGIST said it's good to go! And hey...he even has a PhD! :facepalm:

These ads make me sick to the stomach, especially after my incredibly smart father was duped by these shysters the last couple years of his life.

Oh...and a little rant. They say the phone number as, "One eight hundred eight six OH..." "OH" is NOT a number.

Attachments

• scam.jpg
    scam.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I haven’t seen any of these ads and didn’t even know that Joe Namath was still alive.

No cable TV, no broadcast TV, no streaming service that includes ads, no radio. No Medicare Advantage ads!!!:clap:

Was going to say we could see who our Boomer members are. :) No shade! Just I haven't watched TV with ads on it for over 2 decades now aside from a couple super bowl events and the like.

Was going to say we could see who our Boomer members are. :) No shade! Just I haven't watched TV with ads on it for over 2 decades now aside from a couple super bowl events and the like.

Technically I’m a Boomer. Late Boomer perhaps.

Oh...and a little rant. They say the phone number as, "One eight hundred eight six OH..." "OH" is NOT a number.
Oh NOoooo! Say it isn't so!
What about "Eight oh oh, three two five - three five three five"?

I think non-Boomers know who Joe is. He, uh, went very viral about 17 years ago.

17 years ago? Wow, maybe I need to reel this back. The kids DON'T know who Joe is!

Not to mention "Eight six seven five three oh ni-ee-yine!"

Oh NOoooo! Say it isn't so!
What about "Eight oh oh, three two five - three five three five"?

I think non-Boomers know who Joe is. He, uh, went very viral about 17 years ago.

17 years ago? Wow, maybe I need to reel this back. The kids DON'T know who Joe is!
Well, I totally missed that! All my hazy memories are from the 1900s.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom