thermostat problem

What is a thermostat? (Sorry, bad and annoying Hawaiian joke.:blush:) But seriously, regarding the electric company messing with your central air: Hawaiian Electric has a plan in which they will install (at their expense) a device which allows them to turn off your electric hot water heater when ever they want to - but assured only a "few times" a year and only for an hour IIRC. For this privilege, they give a $3 rebate on EACH and EVERY month's bill. I jumped on that big time.

I look for much more of this kind of "shifting" in the future. It can give very significant savings to the electric company. Even a "captive" system such as exists on Oahu - no real "grid", just base power plus peak-use power generation - will benefit from shifting. If one of the gas turbines does not have to be turned on, that is huge. YMMV

We can get either a T-stat controlled by the utility or an override hooked to the compressor or water heater. You can select 50,75 or 100% cutback on the AC and the credit is up to $25/mo. You can also cancel out of the cycling event once or twice per year (e.g. If you were having a party). We have the AC override switch and use Lux programmable t-stats. Our water heater is gas and does not qualify.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

You and I know that. But how many average homeowners would? And how do you do that remotely?

The point is a KISS thermostat is not subject to these issues.

-ERD50

Unfortunatly not even hvac techs get this right all the time. One time a new inside unit was installed, but both the wires were set so the outside unit ran all the time, and the heat strips would not come on if it got cold enough inside. (the lack of a jumper for the second). I do suspect you can find a video on youtube telling how to jumper a failed thermostat.

Back
Top Bottom