This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a wildfire in the Sierras in the American River Canyon near Foresthill. Yesterday it was 100+, and today it will be a bit cooler - hopefully the firefighters can get the flames under control. Yesterday about 200 acres burned. Today the fire covers 317 acres. It's smoky outside - unhealthy. Time to sit tight...iced tea sounds nice. I think I go over my emergency list.

Stay safe and prepared, I am a Wildland Firefighter, but the brass has us stay local this year. I have had 2 wildfires in two years come within 1 mile of my homestead. We were evacuated last year while I was on patrol protecting my own property with a 2k gal tender(water tanker), when it happen.

Stay safe and prepared, I am a Wildland Firefighter, but the brass has us stay local this year. I have had 2 wildfires in two years come within 1 mile of my homestead. We were evacuated last year while I was on patrol protecting my own property with a 2k gal tender(water tanker), when it happen.

This morning the fire was at 317 acres and 20% contained. It is now 7:00 PM, and the fire is over 700 acres, and 10% contained. The terrain is very steep and brushy. The temperature turned out to be 106 around here this afternoon. So far, so good - no homes have been destroyed. It looks like we are in for some smokey days ahead.

antmary said:
It sure does look sad to see the corn fields having such a bad time of it. I truly hope it rains soon!

Yes, be prepared to pay more for your corn :(

The soybeans seem to be handling it OK.

I remember some play called "The Rainmaker". We need one of those (who can really do it)!

Another record breaking day: they are predicting 100 with high humidity here in St. Paul. It was already 80 and sticky when I got up at 4:30 this morning. So tired of the extreme heat!

Another record breaking day: they are predicting 100 with high humidity here in St. Paul. It was already 80 and sticky when I got up at 4:30 this morning. So tired of the extreme heat!

Just hang in there - it helps me to remember that Summer Solstice is over, and autumn is 7 weeks away. I will dance the day that the rains come and wash all the smoke from our air.

We are getting lots of rain, and I hope you get some too, soon.

We have had intermittent torrential rains for the past week or so. This has been great - - and no tornados or flooding at this point, here, and it has cooled things down. There are times when it is advantageous to live in a humid/wet climate, and I don't really mind it at all (especially after reading about the wildfires out west). Of course, most of us down here have webbed feet. :LOL:

We are getting lots of rain, and I hope you get some too, soon.

We have had intermittent torrential rains for the past week or so. This has been great - - and no tornados or flooding at this point, here, and it has cooled things down. There are times when it is advantageous to live in a humid/wet climate, and I don't really mind it at all (especially after reading about the wildfires out west). Of course, most of us down here have webbed feet. :LOL:

Your air sounds absolutely delicious! Hopefully the Robbers fire will be under control by this weekend. But, the smoke will be around for awhile because it is so dangerous for the firefighters down in the canyons. I think it's time to get out my gratitude list to keep my spirits up!

Last week at this time it was 106 degrees. Today it is 80. The fire is 70% contained, and the delta breezes are back - our air is clean! Hats off to the firefighters....

Last week at this time it was 106 degrees. Today it is 80. The fire is 70% contained, and the delta breezes are back - our air is clean! Hats off to the firefighters....

Fantastic news! I am glad for you :)

We actually got about 20 mins of rain yesterday but are back to near triple-digit temps today. However, based on what I read here from other people, maybe that's not so bad.

Its supposed to be 105,107,107 Friday through Sunday in my part of California.

What the heck did I move to Texas?

Its supposed to be 105,107,107 Friday through Sunday in my part of California.

What the heck did I move to Texas?

Those temperatures are brutal. I hope you can stay inside in the air conditioning.

By now it is down to 89 here in New Orleans, because of the rain this afternoon.

It's "inside afternoons" for the kitties the next few days. I hope the rains come early this year - lots of fires burning in the Sierras:(

We almost lost our old house in the tahoe fire a few years ago. Really dry again. When it's this hot I get all my outside work done before noon.

We almost lost our old house in the tahoe fire a few years ago. Really dry again. When it's this hot I get all my outside work done before noon.

It is 4:00am; I decided to stay up. I'll work in the garden until it gets unbearable - around 9:00am! I don't care for the gym, so my weight-lifting will consist of shoveling pebbles into the wheelbarrow, and placing them in strategic areas around the perimeter of the house. Hot afternoons are good naptimes. Then maybe work on a watercolor....

We just had heavy (but brief) rain. I can't believe it, I had forgotten what it looked, sounded, or smelled like. It's too late for corn, but I think beans will be loving it. Hopefully a sign of things to come at the end of this brutal summer!

Yeah we don't get rain where I live in the summer. Kind of miss it since I grew up in the Midwest. Miss those summer thunderstorms. Corn crop just is hammered from what I understand. Even in California they are taking advantage of the headlines. Sweet corn went on sale for .44 cents an ear. :( I suppose if I head to the local farms I could get it a bit cheaper.

Yikes! Isaac is bearing down on our little winter home near Tampa. Thankfully the managers are good at communicating with owners. hope out place isn't destroyed before we even have a chance to enjoy it!

Hopefully it will stay away from your home - the latest track has the center over the gulf. I'm actually hoping it comes up here through Georgia. We could use the rain. Plus I love a good storm.

My wife's home country of Taiwan just had Typhoon Tembin cross the southern tip and is making a crazy loop to hit Taiwan again!

wp1512.gif

timeasterday said:
Hopefully it will stay away from your home - the latest track has the center over the gulf. I'm actually hoping it comes up here through Georgia. We could use the rain. Plus I love a good storm.

My wife's home country of Taiwan just had Typhoon Tembin cross the southern tip and is making a crazy loop to hit Taiwan again!

Oh wow. What are the odds of the same Typhoon hitting twice!

Isaac looks like it might swing East once it hits land. You may get your wish :)

RitaR551, I hope your Tampa home stays safe and sound.
We could sure use a good soaking rain! They just put out a fire that was 2 miles away as the crow flies.

RitaR551, good luck and I hope that Isaac spares your winter home and neighborhood in Florida. At least you are safely away from the area. Doesn't sound like there is much more you can do from there, except wait and hope. :(

I agree with those in areas experiencing drought. It would be nice if they had more rain, and other areas less. We had an inch today in my neighborhood, and 2.4 inches yesterday, and generally we have had a lot of rainfall this summer. I don't mind it but we really don't need this much. It is always best not to have the ground completely saturated when a tropical storm or hurricane might be headed this way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom