This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
You folks in Texas, hope you stay out of harms way and keep dry. :)

Here in central Texas, NWS projects us to get 7-10" rain. Areas to the southeast of Austin, as much as 35" according to some models. Plus high winds.fingers crossed and hopeful..anyway, today I learned

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Here in central Texas, NWS projects us to get 7-10" rain. Areas to the southeast of Austin, as much as 35" according to some models. Plus high winds.fingers crossed and hopeful..anyway, today I learned

Now THAT is a hurricane graphic I can understand! :LOL::LOL:

You folks in Texas, hope you stay out of harms way and keep dry. :)

+100

I hope everyone in the path of the storm stays safe, and that the aftermath (loss of power, etc) does not persist too long. :(:(

Last edited:
At Baylor/St Lukes hospital in the Houston, TexasMed Center - raining heavily. I doubt that I will be able to revisit here tomorrow, especially if there is street flooding.

At Baylor/St Lukes hospital in the Houston, TexasMed Center - raining heavily. I doubt that I will be able to revisit here tomorrow, especially if there is street flooding.

Great to hear the encouraging news about DW. Does the hospital have a recliner that they can put in her room so that you can stay overnight? Or is there any family accommodation? Do ask.

Great to hear the encouraging news about DW. Does the hospital have a recliner that they can put in her room so that you can stay overnight? Or is there any family accommodation? Do ask.

She's in a lot of pain today as that is expected. I could stay overnight in a recliner, and I offered, but she wants no guests until she is a bit better. Her SIL also volunteered to spend the night but she wants no company right now.

I stayed for 4 hours today and headed home to deal with the hurricane Harvey which will be hitting the Texas coast tonight.

She's in a lot of pain today as that is expected. I could stay overnight in a recliner, and I offered, but she wants no guests until she is a bit better. Her SIL also volunteered to spend the night but she wants no company right now.

I stayed for 4 hours today and headed home to deal with the hurricane Harvey which will be hitting the Texas coast tonight.

Okey dokey....if she's grumpy, it's probably a sign she's getting better. I wish you all the best with storm preparation. Harvey has arrived at a very inopportune time!

Was watching cable news and one of the guys talking about how much rain is coming said...

There is an area larger than the size of Delaware that will have 24 inches of rain... so, think about adding two feet of water on top of the state of Delaware!!!

And that does not come close to the size of the area that will get 10 to 24 inches...

BTW, for the people up north that had super storm Sandy.... they say this storm is stronger than that storm...

Okey dokey....if she's grumpy, it's probably a sign she's getting better. I wish you all the best with storm preparation. Harvey has arrived at a very inopportune time!

Yeah, she's real grumpy today as the pain blockers are worn off and she is taking Tylenol 3, which is demonstrating to be marginally effective. Her nurse was going to see if the surgeon would up the pain med to Tramadol.

Clearly, I was in the way today as there was a lot going on with tests, etc. I was good to visit and if I can get a clear indication of no flooding over the 50 miles to drive to the Med Center tomorrow, I'll go back.

Aja8888, she is probably safest at the hospital during the hurricane. Take care and get some rest if you can, before the hurricane arrives. I guess that is sometime this weekend, but I'm not sure when.

I came here to post that our hearts are with Texas and Texans as this Category 4 hurricane with so much potential for flooding, hits. I fear the flooding in Houston could be catastrophic. Take care, everyone.

AJA, Assuming Mrs. AJA is still improving since you've gone home. With the storm in your area, would the hospital release her this weekend as you suggested in an earlier post?
I have the Weather Channel on, watching Jim Cantori being blown around. Keep safe, Texans.

Aja8888, she is probably safest at the hospital during the hurricane. Take care and get some rest if you can, before the hurricane arrives. I guess that is sometime this weekend, but I'm not sure when.

I came here to post that our hearts are with Texas and Texans as this Category 4 hurricane with so much potential for flooding, hits. I fear the flooding in Houston could be catastrophic. Take care, everyone.

Well said, W2R.

Don't mess with Texas, Harvey!

Was watching cable news and one of the guys talking about how much rain is coming said...

There is an area larger than the size of Delaware that will have 24 inches of rain... so, think about adding two feet of water on top of the state of Delaware!!!

And that does not come close to the size of the area that will get 10 to 24 inches...

BTW, for the people up north that had super storm Sandy.... they say this storm is stronger than that storm...

:LOL: Cause everythings bigger in Texas!

AJA, Assuming Mrs. AJA is still improving since you've gone home. With the storm in your area, would the hospital release her this weekend as you suggested in an earlier post?
I have the Weather Channel on, watching Jim Cantori being blown around. Keep safe, Texans.

Good question and I don't have the answer. Although one nurse today told me that her supervisor told all the nurses on for the weekend to bring a couple of clean changes of uniforms.

The worst that can happen is flooding of the main thoroughfares and then they will be closed until they drain off, which could take several days. Remember, it's flat as a pancake here and all the land drains via culverts, sewers and bayous. If drainage systems get blocked, the backup will be into the streets and highways.

Good question and I don't have the answer. Although one nurse today told me that her supervisor told all the nurses on for the weekend to bring a couple of clean changes of uniforms.

The worst that can happen is flooding of the main thoroughfares and then they will be closed until they drain off, which could take several days. Remember, it's flat as a pancake here and all the land drains via culverts, sewers and bayous. If drainage systems get blocked, the backup will be into the streets and highways.
Med Center garage levels below street level will likely flood. We know there are now gates/doors/dams to try to prevent that, but those things haven't worked 100% successfully in the past.

It will be a tough decision for patients about to be discharged: Which will have more life-threatening flooding: Hospital or Home?

And don't forget: Houston is not expected to see rising waters until a few days from now.

Best of luck to All!

Good news that your wife is recovering from her op and is well enough to tell folks to get lost and leave her in peace. Take good care of yourself and drive only when safe to do so, the last thing your wife needs now is for you to get hurt.

As you know, my son lives near you and I've been chatting with him last night and this morning. He thought he might have to drive to Dallas and man the office at the Disaster Recovery centre for his bank. The banking systems had already been switched to the DR centre at the start of the hurricane season but they still need folks to run and monitor the overnight processing and the main ops centre in The Woodlands, which may have extended power outages over the coming days.

His co-worker, who lives 40 miles south and well into Harris County, took on that DR role and left yesterday. My son will complete his weekend shift but expects to be called in on Tuesday or later as co-workers traveling in from Houston may struggle to make it in because of flooding.

Good news that your wife is recovering from her op and is well enough to tell folks to get lost and leave her in peace. Take good care of yourself and drive only when safe to do so, the last thing your wife needs now is for you to get hurt.

As you know, my son lives near you and I've been chatting with him last night and this morning. He thought he might have to drive to Dallas and man the office at the Disaster Recovery centre for his bank. The banking systems had already been switched to the DR centre at the start of the hurricane season but they still need folks to run and monitor the overnight processing and the main ops centre in The Woodlands, which may have extended power outages over the coming days.

His co-worker, who lives 40 miles south and well into Harris County, took on that DR role and left yesterday. My son will complete his weekend shift but expects to be called in on Tuesday or later as co-workers traveling in from Houston may struggle to make it in because of flooding.

Thanks Alan, I won't be heading to the hospital to visit until its safe.

I just saw the Buffalo Bayou is predicted to be above flood level in a day or so and the level is predicted to be higher than when storm Allison flooded the city. The next two days may be tough here.

Thanks Alan, I won't be heading to the hospital to visit until its safe.

I just saw the Buffalo Bayou is predicted to be above flood level in a day or so and the level is predicted to be higher than when storm Allison flooded the city. The next two days may be tough here.

Hopefully the hospitals in the med center learned their lesson from Allison and moved the electrical stuff from the basement. (the electrical stuff including the backup power stuff was in the basement and got flooded out, meaning patients had to be carried out down the stairs.

Last edited:
Hopefully the hospitals in the med center learned their lesson from Allison and moved the electrical stuff from the basement. (the electrical stuff including the backup power stuff was in the basement and got flooded out, meaning patients had to be carried out down the stairs.

I once worked in a hospital where there was a serious threat of flooding in the basement. They immediately evacuated all technology dependent patients to a hospital across the city, on higher ground. In any event, no power was lost, but acting proactively was a good decision.

Last edited:

I hope so too, as my DW is in the cardiac recovery floor of the Baylor/St. Lukes hospital in the med center after heart surgery Wednesday.

I hope so too, as my DW is in the cardiac recovery floor of the Baylor/St. Lukes hospital in the med center after heart surgery Wednesday.

She will be mostly resting on and off for the duration of her hospital visit. I sent you a private message. If I can help in any way (since I have had the same kind of surgery 4 years ago) let me know.

Take care and look forward to hearing about your wife's recovery over the next several weeks.

After sleeping 10 hours, and feeling like I could have slept another three, I stumbled sleepily to the computer and lo and behold, the NHC posted the graphic below for Nate's path. Oh goodie (not). According to the graphic, at 8 AM Sunday it will be a hurricane right on top of us here in New Orleans.

But, never fear, there is still an excellent probability that it will either disintegrate or not be any more than a Category 1 if that. And also, the NHC has a less-than-great record of predicting hurricane tracks in the Gulf, before they even enter the Gulf. So it really could end up almost anywhere, and not necessarily here.

OK, OK, I'll go get gas and money, but that's about all that I plan to do. I can bring in the yard stuff on Saturday if it still looks like Nate is going to be our hurricane.

Meanwhile, the weather is great. :) 81F right now with 0% chance of rain.

Attachments

• Nate.jpg
    Nate.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom