This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
The poor things are probably learning to eat nectar in popsicle form as we speak.

We got the Cubs, worst team in history in any sport, I think. :ROFLMAO: Enough said.

Not true! And, they'll all set to win the World Series this year, no doubt! I'm already saving up for tickets.

Think I'll go dig out a Steve Goodman album and listen to "Go Cubs Go" a couple dozen times!

The following song recorded by Elsa Lunghini was a hit in 1988 and reached #2 on the hit chart. I guess it appealed to younger people, but I still like its rhythm.

Jour de Neige / Snowy Day

Tout doux tout doux/ Softly softly
Comme un rêve un peu flou / Like a dream a little fuzzy
Froid dehors et chaud dedans / Cold outside and warm inside
Descendre en courant l'escalier / Coming down the stairs by running

Quand tout même le ciel est blanc / Even when all the sky is white
Comme le papier plié / As the folded paper
D'un secret / With a secret
Pressée sans savoir pourquoi / Rushing without knowing why
Filer déjà sur mon vélo / Already spinning on my bike
La longue écharpe après moi / The long scarf behind me
Le coeur en plein galop / Heart in full gallop

Jour de neige / Snow Day
Dans un grand pull qui me protège / In a large sweater that protects me
Première neige / First snow
Vertige en moi comme un manège / Vertigo in me like a carousel
Jour bien tendre / Very tender day
Comme ce quelqu'un qui vient m'attendre / Just as someone who comes waiting for me
Au bout du chemin / Down the trail
...​

YouTube - Elsa Lunghini - Jour de neige

Not true! And, they'll all set to win the World Series this year, no doubt! I'm already saving up for tickets.

Think I'll go dig out a Steve Goodman album and listen to "Go Cubs Go" a couple dozen times!

I do love the Cubs, but I do hope past performance is no guarantee of future.... (the last Cubs game we went to was also attended by Mr. Bartman.)

It hasn't gone below freezing yet here, but the humidity sure makes it feel cold outside! I wore a sweater AND a jacket when we went out earlier. We are expecting some rain later today and tomorrow night's low is predicted at 32F.

I'm sure glad that I don't have to cover my plants for freezing temperatures like I had to do several times in January. They only get that protection from overnight freezing when it isn't raining, because I am such a princess. :D .

Last edited:
I was in college in Oneonta NY (out of reach of the worst of this TG) when this happened. My Mom saved the letters I wrote to her about feeling like I was trapped near the Arctic Circle. ;)

Welcome to H*ll in western NY and parts of Canada.

Blizzard of 1977 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I drove through that blizzard, from Detroit to D.C.; in an MG; took a week & AAA & getting the car towed & repaired.

Looks like Houston has ice today too! That might be fun - for her! Be sure to remind her that the stuff is very slick.
Yeah, sure, just like she pays attention to all the other things I used to remind her of. I'm outta that business.

She's been through the "raised-in-Hawaii" ritual of taking speed-skating lessons at the Ice Palace, so hopefully she has enough survival skills to get through the winter.

Heh-- Rice just canceled Thursday afternoon classes so that all the local staff can hurry home and bunker up for... what, a snow flurry? Their website says they "might" open for Friday classes.

I bet she's glad she's not going to college in Pittsburgh, South Bend, Annapolis, or Troy (NY)...

Finally got the driveway completely clear!

Attachments

• Jan 2011 Snow 001.jpg
    Jan 2011 Snow 001.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 4
  • Jan 2011 Snow 004.jpg
    Jan 2011 Snow 004.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Jan 2011 Snow 008.jpg
    Jan 2011 Snow 008.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 3
Heh-- Rice just canceled Thursday afternoon classes so that all the local staff can hurry home and bunker up for... what, a snow flurry? Their website says they "might" open for Friday classes.
Well looks like Houston got another ice storm this early AM so I would think no classes. Yep, canceling for a snow flurry is silly, but ice? That stuff is awful.

Audrey

Our blizzard in 1966 happened on 2 March. Here are some pics of the digging out process. The one of the guys standing on the snow was taken from the third story dorm window. As you can see there is bare ground visible in the distance the wind piled up the 22 foot deep drift on the north side of the building.

Yowzzzzir! Like I said, this last 'blizzard' is just a little dustin' !

-ERD50

I am so sorry for everybody locked inside during this awful weather but I also want to thank them for the incredible uptick in ebay sales that happened on Wednesday & Thursday !:)

Well looks like Houston got another ice storm this early AM so I would think no classes. Yep, canceling for a snow flurry is silly, but ice? That stuff is awful.
Yep, Rice canceled classes for today. Much of that was because the Houston school system canceled their classes so lots of workers had kids at home on a Friday. But there are rumors that black ice has caused over 200 traffic accidents, and the city is just trying to keep everyone off the streets. I notice that Leo & Htown Harry haven't been posting much this week.

But it's good that today's a "no class" day. For reasons of her own, our daughter decided to tackle 22 credit hours this semester and I suspect that she has some catch-up homework & studying to take care of.

I just don't get it, we just had a serious blizzard in Chicago, the temp is 8 degrees right now and one of my neighbors is replacing his front double door entry. He has this gaping hole and I'm sure he'll be heating the outdoors for at least another 3-4 hours. I'm not sure why he couldn't wait another month or two or even summer when it'd be a lot warmer than today.

I talked to my daddy last night and told him our forecast called for snow...less than an inch. I told him that probably meant at least 4 inches. Well...that's what we got plus a bit more. :rant: Five inches of snow on top of two inches of ice.

DH had an appt with the oncology doc this morning at 10. Once again the appt had to be rescheduled because of the weather. ...sigh..

I just don't get it, we just had a serious blizzard in Chicago, the temp is 8 degrees right now and one of my neighbors is replacing his front double door entry. He has this gaping hole and I'm sure he'll be heating the outdoors for at least another 3-4 hours. I'm not sure why he couldn't wait another month or two or even summer when it'd be a lot warmer than today.

That's hilarious! I know why - because he had the day off!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Audrey

Is your neighbor married? If so, I think I know how something like this might happen . . . Not from personal experience, of course.

Has to be married.

Don't know any single guy who actually give a hoot about the looks of the front door. When I was single, the only requirement was that it close. Once DW showed up, the front door got replaced pronto. I did veto the winter changeout.

Friday afternoon at 42 degrees it was warmer here than in Dallas; tonight's forecast is a bit different:
* HAZARDOUS WIND CHILLS EXPECTED AFTER MIDNIGHT INTO MONDAY MORNING.
* WIND CHILL VALUES OF 25 TO 35 BELOW CAN BE EXPECTED.

samclem said:
Is your neighbor married? If so, I think I know how something like this might happen . . . Not from personal experience, of course.

Yes, he's married w/2 teen kids and a dog. This really shocked me, he put in 2 disrupted and a 6 panel wood (or wood looking) colored door. Thought it looked nice. Then, I see it the next day, and he had it completely covered in a white aluminum storm door w/sidelites encased in white too! Is it me or is it common to clash the colors like this? I would've gone w/almost all glass or brown colored aluminum. The storm door is made of very wide white borders that just ruins to front door view now!

I forgot to add, it was 20 degrees and they touching up the white paint outdoors too!

Yes, he's married w/2 teen kids and a dog. This really shocked me, he put in 2 disrupted and a 6 panel wood (or wood looking) colored door. Thought it looked nice. Then, I see it the next day, and he had it completely covered in a white aluminum storm door w/sidelites encased in white too! Is it me or is it common to clash the colors like this? I would've gone w/almost all glass or brown colored aluminum. The storm door is made of very wide white borders that just ruins to front door view now!
Yep, I agree with your choice of storm door colors. Actually, I'm not a big fan of storm doors--they seem to always be in the way, they don't offer much of an energy advantage if he real door is a modern, well-insulated one with good seals, and they cost money. If I had a wood door that needed protecting from the wet AND if the sunlight didn't hit the door causing it to overheat behind the storm door, I'd consider one.

He might have selected the AL storm door due to the dog noseprint issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom