This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
It rained on us twice this morning! Rain only totalled ~ .1-.2"
But the temp dropped down to 75! First time I've seen it below 80 for at least two months? With the cooler temp outside, I got the garage temp to just drop out of the 90's with doors open. But then I had to leave, and now its back up in the 90's, both garage and outside. Will probably be well over 100 today again, and with added humidity from the rain.
We are getting pretty close to the all-time record of number of days 100 or over. At this point, it's been sooo hot this year, I want to break the record, not fall a day or two short after suffering all this time.

At 11:15 our temp is only 96 - seven degrees cooler than at the same time yesterday. I may have to put on a jacket...
September forecast tells of glad tidings for you.
4 days of possible rain and sub 100 temps...Happy Everything!!:dance:

Earlier this a.m. we got a little rain. Right now it's cloudy and 82 degrees. :)

I imagine by this afternoon, it will be 107. :(

Truly, I hope you in Texas experience a generous amount of rain this fall and winter. I have heard about the withered plants, and the stressed animals:( I hope things turn around soon.

California is just as vulnerable to heat waves. Especially this time of the year, we are all pretty wary about fires. We just hope we can maintain and try to relax until the fall rains come.

Where are our daily rains today? We need them.

There was a strong smell of smoke all over town this afternoon, due to a 1300 acre bog fire out in Bayou Sauvage, a wild swampy area in eastern New Orleans.* The fire is so intense and goes so deep into the swamp that apparently only a long, hard rainfall will put it out. We have had rain virtually every day since mid-June, but none today. :(

Meanwhile, school children aren't permitted outside at school, joggers can't jog, and in the hot, humid, still air the smoke seems to linger forever. Brown smoke covers the city, looking like west coast smog at its worst. I was concerned about breathing at the gym even with air conditioning, but my workout with weights was OK. I wouldn't want to be doing cardio in the smoke, though.

*Actually Bayou Sauvage is so remote and hard to penetrate, that for example it is reputed to be a dumping place for dead bodies, acccording to some. There is no access to get firefighters in there.

The good news: It's raining! The smoke is gone and the fires should be completely out soon. We can breathe again, and it has even cooled down a bit.

The bad news: It's raining! Tropical storm warnings, with 12"-20" rain predicted to fall on New Orleans this weekend. Glug, glug.

The bad news: It's raining! Tropical storm warnings, with 12"-20" rain predicted to fall on New Orleans this weekend. Glug, glug.
I'm really disappointed you're keeping all that rain for yourself and not sharing a drop with the folks 500 miles west of you. Not nice.

The good news: It's raining! The smoke is gone and the fires should be completely out soon. We can breathe again, and it has even cooled down a bit.

Oh W2R!
I do hope you are above the flood area...take care.

Here in No. California, it is dusty and dry. We are in fire season now, and long for our first good downpour:clap:

I'm really disappointed you're keeping all that rain for yourself and not sharing a drop with the folks 500 miles west of you. Not nice.

:LOL: I'll stand outside and blow in a westward direction, if that will help. ;)

Oh W2R!
I do hope you are above the flood area...take care.

Me too, and thanks. I'm 2.4 feet below sea level, which is about average around here I guess. My house has never flooded before, although houses all around me have, so I hope it doesn't flood this time.

Now they are saying 15"-20" of rain are predicted. The state of emergency due to the swamp fire was cancelled yesterday, and another state of emergency due to the expected rain was called. It's only drizzling, so far.

Last edited:
Me too, and thanks. I'm 2.4 feet below sea level, which is about average around here I guess. My house has never flooded before, although houses all around me have, so I hope it doesn't flood this time.

Now they are saying 15"-20" of rain are predicted. The state of emergency due to the swamp fire was cancelled yesterday, and another state of emergency due to the expected rain was called. It's only drizzling, so far.

Louisiana has certainly had enough this year in dealing with water problems, especially considering what happened back in May, with all that water being manufactured up north and then coming downstream. Texas has been a tinder box this year, hottest that I can remember since we arrived in 93. When it comes to natural disasters, I don't know whats worse: floods/hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, forest fires, etc.

W2R, hope those rains don't create a problem for you and that maybe you can send a little bit our way. We'd be happy to take it!

Hoping for rain in Texas from us as well. Dad lives in San Antonio and when I talked to him yesterday he told me all of his trees are dead and the grass is crispy and blowing away.

Hoping for rain in Texas from us as well. Dad lives in San Antonio and when I talked to him yesterday he told me all of his trees are dead and the grass is crispy and blowing away.
We live about 90 minutes north of San Antonio, and it's the same here -- looking out our kitchen window to the half-acre we have behind the house, almost all the trees have lost their leaves or have had all of them turn brown. A couple of trees have fallen in heavy winds after dying earlier. The grass crunches when you walk over it. It's horribly depressing and no one sees an end in sight. Even folks who aren't at all religious are encouraging others to "pray for rain."

I'm 2.4 feet below sea level, which is about average around here I guess.
Heck and I was worried being just 400+ feet above sea level (90 miles west of NYC).

We're worrying about that "super tsunami" forecast from the Canary Islands, sometime in the future, just traveling "the pond" and landing in our back yard...

I have my surfboard ready just in case (it may take me to Kansas)...

It's horribly depressing and no one sees an end in sight. Even folks who aren't at all religious are encouraging others to "pray for rain."

Dad said the prediction is that the drought will last at least another couple of years. I hope the people who's jobs depend on rain can hang on.

My aunt (dad's sister) has 5,000 acres in San Saba county and runs about 2,000 head of cattle. They've been having to feed the herd all year because there is no grass. :(

Dad said the prediction is that the drought will last at least another couple of years. I hope the people who's jobs depend on rain can hang on.
Equally worrisome is the possibility those of us depending on a well for water will end up having dust come out when we turn on the faucet...

Equally worrisome is the possibility those of us depending on a well for water will end up having dust come out when we turn on the faucet...
Or if, like me, you live in a town where the municipal utility's only water source may stop flowing completely, leaving an entire city without running water. DW and I have seriously been talking about where we'll go if the town runs out of water. It would have to be a place we could rent short-term and take a dog and two cats.

Or if, like me, you live in a town where the municipal utility's only water source may stop flowing completely, leaving an entire city without running water. DW and I have seriously been talking about where we'll go if the town runs out of water. It would have to be a place we could rent short-term and take a dog and two cats.

I had no idea that entire towns and people's wells were that dangerously low! I'm so sorry to hear that and while I'm not 'religious' I'll pray for rain...it sure can't hurt!!

Strangely enough, heavy smoke from the swamp fire out in the east returned this afternoon, despite moderate rainfall for most of the day. How bizarre. One would think that either we would have to endure the fire, or the rain, not both. :duh:

Strangely enough, heavy smoke from the swamp fire out in the east returned this afternoon, despite moderate rainfall for most of the day. How bizarre. One would think that either we would have to endure the fire, or the rain, not both. :duh:
The Apocalypse is approaching. Locusts will be next.

DD

PS Stay safe.

The Apocalypse is approaching. Locusts will be next.

DD

I think I am beginning to know how Job felt. :dead:

On this evening's news, the explanation given is that the stronger winds we are experiencing due to T.S. Lee are pushing the smoke around and responsible for the stronger smell.

But I like your explanation better. :D

DblDoc said:
PS Stay safe.

Will do our best. :)

The news is kind of hinting that this storm may be a problem for New Orleans ("New Orleans Levees face test."), but my impression is that that is just news hype, and that there is no danger ("The system was designed to be able to protect against the impact of a 100-year storm, and this storm is nowhere close to that," Col. Fleming told...").

Does that sound right, W2R?

My sense of it is that the Corps did some work on the levees, taking their own sweet time, and didn't really fix everything that was damaged by Katrina. However, they claim that the levees have never been more secure, blah blah blah. The Corps is not too popular around here, generally speaking.

So far, T.S. Lee doesn't seem to be too bad, though, at least here in New Orleans where we have the pumps/drainage system. I think we have had about 4" of rain so far, which is not unusual around here. It is predicted to stick around for a couple of days so I'm sure it will rain more. Storm surge is predicted to be just 1-3 feet in Lake Ponchartrain, which borders New Orleans.

So yeah, there's a lot of hype going on, both about the storm and about the current strength of the levee system.

This morning I was awakened at 5:00 AM by a robocall from the Parish (=county), saying that there was a tornado warning and to immediately take cover. What a way to awaken! Turns out that no tornado was ever spotted but the rotation inherent in all tropical weather was the reason for the warning. Then that warning was cancelled and another one immediately began, so I got another robocall at 7:15 AM about that one. No tornados anywhere nearby (or anywhere that I know of) all morning but almost the whole region has been under various tornado warnings for hours.

No flooding in my area so far, although during the heaviest rains there was about 6 inches of water in the street moving quickly. It never got to the sidewalks and is gone now. Gusty winds, on and off.

Last edited:
I'm hope you folks in NO are more than ready for this and even worse. I hear lots of improvements have been made to your levy and flood control systems, like this recently completed project: GIWW & West Closure Complex (click on the video to see details of building and installing some big-@ss water pumps).

My nephew worked on this project and has some interesting stories to tell about what happened the first - and second - time they tested the first installed pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom