This weather is awful - 2022 to ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could not believe my eyes when buckets of rain fell in our neighborhood yesterday afternoon. Not sure of the total amount, but it had to be around .5"-1" in my estimation:dance:.

^^^ Same here... Rained "hard" for about 30 minutes and then a good steady rain for another two hours... We really needed it... I don't know how much it rain since when I checked the rain gauge it had a big crack in it (I guess from all the summer heat)

Now it looks like the forecast "highs" for the area are going to be down 5 to 7 degrees for the next +10 days from what they have been.. (back to normal summer temps):)

This drought and high heat killed off a couple of big trees near the house... I guess I'll be out there with a chainsaw in a few months taking those down. :(

Last edited:
^^^ Same here... Rained "hard" for about 30 minutes and then a good steady rain for another two hours... We really needed it... I don't know how much it rain since when I checked the rain gauge it had a big crack in it (I guess from all the summer heat)

I gave up on rain gauges as none of them seem to last for long. I now check rainfall amounts using this website:

https://www.iweathernet.com/total-rainfall-map-24-hours-to-72-hours

You can literally zoom in to your back yard. I've compared what it reports to my neighbor's rain gauge and found it to be very accurate.

^^^^ That looks pretty interesting... I'll give it a try.

Looks like the 2022 Atlantic hurricane season is getting started soon.. And yeah, I don't like the way this one is headed, but it's a very long ways off still.

That disturbance, "Danielle-to-be", DIED!! :dance: :D The NHC gives it 0% chance of developing in the next five days.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Hoping the rest of hurricane season is mild. Meanwhile, the weather here is lovely (IMO). High yesterday was only 89F, and it rained 0.4 inches. More of the same, please! :D

I gave up on rain gauges as none of them seem to last for long. I now check rainfall amounts using this website:

https://www.iweathernet.com/total-rainfall-map-24-hours-to-72-hours

You can literally zoom in to your back yard. I've compared what it reports to my neighbor's rain gauge and found it to be very accurate.

I don't know how well that would work in the Panhandle of Florida, to much spotty rain coming in from the Gulf. Often we can have a pouring rain storm a mile away and nothing at home, or vise versa. If the weatherman says it will rain, he is right, it does rain somewhere in the area, just not where you are.

I don't know how well that would work in the Panhandle of Florida, to much spotty rain coming in from the Gulf. Often we can have a pouring rain storm a mile away and nothing at home, or vise versa. If the weatherman says it will rain, he is right, it does rain somewhere in the area, just not where you are.

We had spotty showers yesterday and we got very little at our house while a friend a couple of miles north of me said had more than half an inch in his rain gauge. The website showed 0.68 for his location and 0.17 for us.

Looks like our friends in south Texas may get some rain over the next couple of days.

two_atl_5d0.png

That would be welcome. :)

Let us hope that it's not another Houston flooding situation. We have friends who lost two houses there during the recent couple of floods. It's either feast or famine sometimes.:(

^^^^^
I doubt Houston will see any rain from this disturbance. It's ~300+ miles from Houston now and heading away. Towns like McAllen and Brownsville will probably get some rain but hopefully it will keep moving (as forecast) so it shouldn't be to bad. (Although you can get a flash flood anywhere in Texas when something like this passes through your area, especially if it stalls for a day or so.)

Last edited:
Neighbors say they are looking forward to it!

We got 6 inches of rain overnight in early June and then almost no rain thereafter.

Last edited:
Let us hope that it's not another Houston flooding situation. We have friends who lost two houses there during the recent couple of floods. It's either feast or famine sometimes.:(

Nah, we will never get another 53" rainstorm.....:rolleyes:

Actually, 30" causes flooding....:LOL:

Nah, we will never get another 53" rainstorm.....:rolleyes:

Actually, 30" causes flooding....:LOL:

Yeah, after losing their house the first time, our friends asked themselves "What's the chance we'd get another XX inches of rain ever again" - and rebuilt in the same spot. Big mistake.

Yeah, after losing their house the first time, our friends asked themselves "What's the chance we'd get another XX inches of rain ever again" - and rebuilt in the same spot. Big mistake.

We are proud of our BIG rainstorms here.....remember, everything is BIG here. Ya just gotta know where to build your house!:D

No flooding where we are!

We are proud of our BIG rainstorms here.....remember, everything is BIG here. Ya just gotta know where to build your house!:D

I've owned three houses on the southeast side of Houston over a period of 30+ years and never had any of them flood...The streets have flooded bad enough that we couldn't get home several times and even had water half way up the front yard a few times but never had any water come in the house. In all three cases, other homes did flood within ~1/2 mile of us from time to time, so I was just lucky I guess.

Last edited:
I've owned three houses on the southeast side of Houston over a period of 30+ years and never had any of them flood...The streets have flooded bad enough that we couldn't get home several times and even had water half way up the front yard a few times but never had any water come in the house. In all three cases, other homes did flood within ~1/2 mile of us from time to time, so I was just lucky I guess.

Yeah, it seems the south side gets the deep water and you were in a good spot. Where we are, The Woodlands, north side of Houston, Harvey's water filled I-45 just south of us. Our surface drains go south and we just don't flood here.

Candidly, I always thought it was kinda foolish to rebuild in the same place, but it's not my house (or money.) YMMV

Candidly, I always thought it was kinda foolish to rebuild in the same place, but it's not my house (or money.) YMMV

They do the same thing in California when houses burn to the ground from wildfires.

Our last hurricane took out all the summer houses on Crystal Beach....everything gone and I mean nothing there to pick up. Go there now and it's all rebuilt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom