This weather is awful - 2022 to ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's the Cablelock pier which uses a cable at the center of the pier to keep the column straight.

And there's the horizontal tensioning system that is installed before the slab is poured.

This is how the cables are tensioned after the concrete has set.

Last edited:
My only experience with slab foundations and clay soils involved an industrial structure, not a residence.

The company I spent 27 years with built a printing plant in San Antonio TX in the early 90's. The facility was built on a sloping lot, with the production floor on a slab on the upper part of the slope and an adjoining two-story administrative/office section of the facility on a separate slab on the lower part of the slope. The end result was the production floor and adjoining second story of the offices were on the same level, and the main entrance and other offices were on the lower level.

Turns out the place was constructed on some very expansive clay soils and within 18 months the two slabs had shifted so that the floor of the office section of the plant was seven inches higher than the production area floor. I think the cost to get everything level again and keep it that way was just shy of $1M.

View attachment 46967Looks like we now have Tropical Storm Idalia, which is expected to make landfall as Hurricane Idalia on Wednesday, around Cedar Key in the Big Bend area of Florida. I have also read speculation that Georgia and South Carolina may experience significant impact as well.

Better get those preparations finished up! We are all hoping for the best for everyone in Hurricane Idalia's path. Right now the NHC says it's too soon to know exactly what the specifics, such as intensity and path, may be at landfall. Just basically look out 'cause here she comes.

I am trying not to breathe a huge sigh of relief quite yet, because when it comes to hurricane trajectories, well, it's never over until it's over. :ermm:

On the bright side (maybe?), my suburb has a 51% chance of rain tomorrow.

Attachments

• Idalia Aug 27.jpg
    Idalia Aug 27.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 21
Supposed to be 88 today, but air quality is still moderate and hazy.

Well today we are forecast to hit ~108 again but there's a 30% chance of rain (ha). But tomorrow and most of next week we are forecast to only get in the upper 90's. :dance: Time to break out the arctic parkas again.:LOL:

Looks like we now have Tropical Storm Idalia, which is expected to make landfall as Hurricane Idalia on Wednesday, around Cedar Key in the Big Bend area of Florida.

I am trying not to breathe a huge sigh of relief quite yet, because when it comes to hurricane trajectories, well, it's never over until it's over. :ermm:
The NHC must feel pretty good about the path of this once since it's been about the same for the past few days, even as a depression.

Good luck!

The NHC must feel pretty good about the path of this once since it's been about the same for the past few days, even as a depression.

Good luck!

Thanks! All the local New Orleans meteorologists seem pretty certain that you are right, that this is the path.

Me, after Katrina I tend to be a bit of a nervous Nellie.

There were at least 1/2 dozen. This work goes fast in soft soil. They dig as hole where the columns will be set and then start pushing concrete slugs down one at a time (build a column) until stopped. Then the house is leveled on them. Quite simple. And a civil engineer signs off on the report.

Sounds like what they had to do here at the Old Homestead several years back. There was an old cistern under the foundation (what's up with that??) and the house was sinking into it. Quick fix (not cheap as I recall.) Old Homestead should last as long as we need it - I hope.

But what I really wanted to say: Our hot spell (upper 90s) finally broke and we're going all the way up to the upper 70s today here in the midwest. Very nice! AC isn't running any more. YMMV

A miracle happened yesterday in our DFW neighborhood, got .35" of rain and now the cooler temps have arrived which are seasonable compared to the everyday 100 - 110+ heat warnings.

Attachments

• 370548062_696331885846210_182016573335795108_n.jpeg
    370548062_696331885846210_182016573335795108_n.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 18
^^^^
About the same here... And an amazing lighting display that went on for hours. Nearby town was without power for hours too.

^^^^
About the same here... And an amazing lighting display that went on for hours. Nearby town was without power for hours too.

We had some lightning too, but did not last very long. I was a bit worried it would hail, but thankfully nothing.

A miracle happened yesterday in our DFW neighborhood, got .35" of rain and now the cooler temps have arrived which are seasonable compared to the everyday 100 - 110+ heat warnings.

I'm so envious! Maybe the same is about to happen here. Yesterday's high was 107F with no rain, but today is supposed to be "much cooler", with 53% chance of rain. Sounds like heaven!

I'm so envious! Maybe the same is about to happen here. Yesterday's high was 107F with no rain, but today is supposed to be "much cooler", with 53% chance of rain. Sounds like heaven!

Ugh. Sounds unbearable.

We ended up with .15" of rain here in Central Texas yesterday. Of course it would be less than the DFW area as we're sitting well within an "Exceptional Drought" zone. At least the temperatures dropped off, much like you indicated.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/currentmap/statedroughtmonitor.aspx?TX

Currently sitting at 51 consecutive days at 101+F, with the average high for those 51 days a bit over 106F. But it looks like we might not reach 101F today at our two closest weather sensors. Still above our average high for this time of the year.

Last edited:

We saw the storms north of us last evening but never got a drop of rain. But it's only 93 F right now so I guess we are enjoying the cool weather!:LOL:

Finally getting a few cooler days below 80, and even expecting a bit of rain possibly Thursday! Fingers crossed for some measurable moisture, we need it.

^^^^^
95 here.... Back to normal, at least today.

Only 81 here due to the hurricane.

It's only 100 F today. Things have cooled down a bit. :(

Same here, although our high today was even lower - - 95F, and yesterday it was only 96F. It thunderstormed and rained 1.3" here yesterday, whee!!! and today it's thunderstorming as I type this, with orange and yellow over us on the radar. Nice to have a break in the weather. :D

Same here, although our high today was even lower - - 95F, and yesterday it was only 96F. It thunderstormed and rained 1.3" here yesterday, whee!!! and today it's thunderstorming as I type this, with orange and yellow over us on the radar. Nice to have a break in the weather. :D
Can I hate you *and* be happy for you at the same time? I would give almost anything to end this drought of the past 3+ years here in Central Texas. It's going to take more than a few, normal rainy months to do that.

Below is the drought map for the CONUS, Texas, and Louisiana. We're well within the dark red (D4) blob in the center of the state, which represents the largest area in the CONUS under a long-term drought condition. Looks like a good portion of Louisiana hasn't been faring much better.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap.aspx
https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/currentmap/statedroughtmonitor.aspx?LA

Last edited:
Can I hate you *and* be happy for you at the same time? I would give almost anything to end this drought of the past 3+ years here in Central Texas. It's going to take more than a few, normal rainy months to do that.

Below is the drought map for the CONUS, Texas, and Louisiana. We're well within the dark red (D4) blob in the center of the state, which represents the largest area in the CONUS under a long-term drought condition. Looks like a good portion of Louisiana hasn't been faring much better.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap.aspx
https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/currentmap/statedroughtmonitor.aspx?LA

At least we are not buried in snow and at -25 F with a 30 mile per hour wind. ;)

(when I was chasing oil wells in N. Dakota, that was some of the fun weather)

High today was a mere 107F. No rain, of course. Oh well, at least it wasn't (quite?) as hot as some parts of Texas. :D

I temporarily changed my avatar in honor of the recent hot weather.

107 in New Orleans? Dang, that’s just crazy!

Been hailed on twice - the last two days, high altitude CO for you. The hail was so small, smaller than peas. Barley sized hail maybe? I guess that’s considered sleet except it’s not winter.

Last edited:
I'm beginning to think Fall has arrived. It didn't break out of the 70s today. Almost too cool at night now - AC doesn't know what think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom