Tipping house keeping

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I read where a national hotel chain is going to put envelopes in the rooms to remind customers to tip the house keeping staff.

Isn't this just another way to raise prices without seeming to be raising the cost of a room? In effect they are shifting the job of paying their employees onto the customer.

Moreover, why don't they start paying their house keeping staff a descent wage so tipping is unnecessary? IMHO, they are using tipping as an excuse to knowingly underpay their staff.

Or am I just being an old curmudgeon? Get off my lawn!!!!

Maybe we should be more like Europe, add the darn thing to the bill.

I am on the road staying out 150+ nights per year. Usually I leave a couple of bucks for housekeeping. However if the hotel took steps to encourage this I might just have a few words with the manager.

Last edited:
Not only is it transferring the employment cost to the customer, but the employer is also transferring the employment cost to the taxpayer, as very low wage employees are eligible for tax credits, and food stamps, etc.

I never understood the tipping for housekeeping. I can't recall tipping in the US but suppose I might if they did something special for us. I expect the housekeepers to do the bare minimum and do it well. Anything less is a serious failure of the hotel management to ensure adequate lodging conditions.

Next thing you know, they'll be wanting us to tip outhouses.

What I wonder is this: who picks up the envelope with the money in it?...I would guess it is not the person who is cleaning the room. The head housekeeper, in many cases, checks the rooms before the "cleaner" comes.

hmmm, two recent tipping threads... I wonder if there is a tip jar for this forum? :angel:

Back
Top Bottom