TIPS CEF anyone?

Htown Harry

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm looking toward putting a modest slice of my bond allocation into a TIPS fund. As I often do, I'm surveying to see what might be the pros and cons of an individual issue vs. a mutual fund vs. a closed end fund.

Any investment would be in tax-deferred accounts. My time horizon is 5 yrs. +.

One option that caught my eye was a PIMCO mutual fund that in theory holds TIPS targeted for 2019, which is somewhere near my FIRE date. However, the actual duration of current holdings is closer to 3 years. The fund's small size, a .79% ER and a fat sales charge pretty much rule this one out for me.
PIMCO | PIMCO Real Income 2019 Fund

Morningstar has a good overview of six closed end TIPS-heavy funds here:
CEFs for Inflation Protection

Their most current CEF Weekly Update lists both WIA and WIW as "relatively inexpensive" based on current discount (over 10%) vs. historical discount (5% and 8%, respectively).
http://news.morningstar.com/pdfs/cefw090211.pdf

WIA and WIW are also discussed here in a Seeking Alpha column:
Using CEFs to Buy TIPS at a Discount - Seeking Alpha

I'm leaning toward WIW because there is a major holder named William H. Gates III (aka Cascade Investments) that has increased holdings aggressively, purchasing about 1.9 million shares over the past two months. WIW - Stock Quote for Western Asset/Claymore Inflation Linked Opportunities & Income Fund - WIW Stock price - real time stock quote for Western Asset/Claymore Inflation Linked Opportunities & Income Fund I figure Bill Gates can afford better financial advisors than I can...and if he's working on a plan to take the fund open-ended there is a possibility of a windfall return.

I am sure I've zeroed in on a pretty good choice in the CEF universe, but I'm unsure how to go about comparing to a low-cost mutual fund (the baseline comparison might be VIPSX) or buying a few individual bonds.

Any comments or advice welcomed.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what your goal for this money is. You state your horizon is 5 years. What happens in 5 years that you want to use this money for?

I have 1/3 of my bonds in VIPSX. It's my hedge against unexpected inflation. My horizon is (hopefully) decades when I/Spouse die...

DD

I'm having a hard time figuring out what your goal for this money is. You state your horizon is 5 years. What happens in 5 years that you want to use this money for?

I have 1/3 of my bonds in VIPSX. It's my hedge against unexpected inflation. My horizon is (hopefully) decades when I/Spouse die...

DD

Sorry for the confusion - In general, like you I am interested in creating some protection against inflation eating into bond values.

5 years is my approximate FIRE date. I also hope to have a much longer horizon for yours truly and DW :)

I'm familiar with CEF's, their mechanics and the pros and cons.

I'll rephrase.

Seems like my first choice is individual bonds (perhaps laddered) vs. a fund.

Choice #2 - If a fund, does a CEF TIPS fund hold any special advantages or risks beyond those inherent in CEFs generally?

Choice #3 - If I choose a CEF for the usual reasons, how about WIW in particular?

Got it.

Bogleheads has a very detailed breakdown of rolling ladders vs funds here:Rolling Ladders versus Bond Funds - Bogleheads

Can't help with the CEF stuff. My brief look at them failed the TANSTAAFL sniff test but maybe there are compensated risks there worth exploring.

DD

As I see it, there are two primary benefits to owning a bond fund 1) Instant diversification 2) Low cost (retail mark-ups on most individual bonds are terrible).

In the case of a pure TIPS fund, neither of those two reasons apply in my view. Diversification is mooted by the fact that you're deliberately investing in a specific class of bonds of a single issuer, US Government TIPS. Low cost also doesn't apply because you can buy TIPS at auction without paying brokerage commissions. Plus, you don't have to pay a fund manager fees to sit on your bonds.

Add in the benefit of being able to manage maturities (asset/liability match) with individual bonds and I'm hard pressed to think of a reason why I'd want to own a TIPS fund. Simplicity, I guess.

Low cost also doesn't apply because you can buy TIPS at auction without paying brokerage commissions.

All of the funds I would be investing would be from IRAs or other tax-deferred accounts, so I don't think this would be accurate in my case. I'd need to go through the brokerage desk at Vanguard, correct?
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/buying-tips-directly-in-ira-26353.html

Looks like the fees would be low for a newbie Voyager client using assistance to buy at auction ($15 per bond), but not so cheap for existing issues ($50-125). If I was confident enough to try a DIY online order, it would go lower: to free for auction bonds and $0.75 per $1000 for existing issues.
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/whatweoffer/stocksbondscds/feescommissions

Figuring out the comparison between these fees to build a ladder vs. a fund's expense ratio sounds like w*rk, so I'm definitely leaning toward a fund for choice #1. This quote from the article DblDoc provided sums it up nicely for me - I'll pay a convenience fee for the time savings and liquidity.
"For treasury bonds (including TIPS), which are assumed to lack any credit risk, the diversification of a fund adds little benefit over a rolling bond ladder. Therefore the expense ratio is merely a convenience fee (or perhaps a small liquidity premium). For a low-cost Treasury fund, however, that fee may be reasonable and is a matter of personal preference. If the greater liquidity and lower demands on investor time of a fund are not desired, the preferred method of investing in Treasuries is to purchase individual bonds at auction (which is generally free), assuming the spread over equivalent off-the-run issues is not too large"​

I'm leaning toward WIW because there is a major holder named William H. Gates III (aka Cascade Investments) that has increased holdings aggressively, purchasing about 1.9 million shares over the past two months. WIW - Stock Quote for Western Asset/Claymore Inflation Linked Opportunities & Income Fund - WIW Stock price - real time stock quote for Western Asset/Claymore Inflation Linked Opportunities & Income Fund I figure Bill Gates can afford better financial advisors than I can...and if he's working on a plan to take the fund open-ended there is a possibility of a windfall return.
Look carefully at that fund. It has been several years, but I looked at it for the same reason that you did. I rejected it in favor of buying TIPS directly, but I cannot remember exactly why. Many of those WA/Claymore Funds are pretty expensive

Ha

Last edited:
Treasuries is to purchase individual bonds at auction (which is generally free), assuming the spread over equivalent off-the-run issues is not too large"

The highlighted comment has it exactly backwards. New bond offerings typically come at a discount (higher yield) to existing bonds - they have to otherwise folks would just buy the existing bonds. So TIPS sold at auction, for zero commission, are actually better than free.

Back
Top Bottom