Tips on drilling into tile

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I need to mount a towel bar in my shower. I know I have to get the right bit to drill into the tile (ceramic). What I’m wondering is how best to start the drill bit. Obviously I can’t use a punch to give myself a starting dimple like you do with metal. How do you get the hole started without it moving off your mark? Also, do you start with a small pilot hole or just go with the size called for (probably something like 1/4 inch depending on the plastic anchor)?

I just use a carbide drill bit. No pilot hole. I just start, using a very slow speed applying a good bit pressure on the drill and it doesn't walk off the mark. Make sure you are perfectly perpendicular to the surface. If you are worried about the bit moving off the desired location, a couple strips of tape, one over the other, may help with that, however I never bother with that. Also, use one of the various types of toggle anchors for this application.

Last edited:
And a spray bottle of water to keep every thing cool. Don't drown, just cool and flush away cutting debris. A old towel on floor prevent the better half from giving you an earful.

I just use a carbide drill bit. No pilot hole. I just start, using a very slow speed applying a good bit pressure on the drill and it doesn't walk off the mark. Make sure you are perfectly perpendicular to the surface. If you are worried about the bit moving off the desired location, a couple strips of tape, one over the other, may help with that, however I never bother with that. Also, use one of the various types of toggle anchors for this application.
+1. Maybe I’m lucky but I’ve never had a problem drilling into ceramic, brick or tile. A purpose made bit in good condition and patience is the key to me. Go slow, don’t press hard, let the bit do it’s thing. I like the tape idea, I’ll have to add that practice next time I drill into tile or similar.

Thanks. Hopefully picking out the towel bar will be the hardest part.

Best drill bit is diamond. Keep cool with water as stated above. Regular masonry bits can crack tile especially when drilling porcelain tile.

Best drill bit is diamond. Keep cool with water as stated above. Regular masonry bits can crack tile especially when drilling porcelain tile.

No need for diamond on ceramic tile. Save that for glass and porcelain. Don't use masonry bits for ceramic tile. Use carbide bits for ceramic tile.

Back
Top Bottom