Today I Learned (TIL)

O2Bfree

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Some forums have a thread called "Today I Learned" where members post interesting facts they discovered that don't necessarily warrant their own thread. I did a quick search here and didn't find such a thread, so I thought I'd start one to see if it sticks.

TIL that some 400 million years ago giant mushrooms called prototaxites lived on the earth. The columnar organism, verified as a fungi in 2007, grew up to 29 feet tall! Makes the plate-sized shrooms sprouting in my yard seem quite humble.

Last edited:
TIL about the Grand Union Canal in England that runs from London to Birmingham (among others) and the many narrow boat/longboats that traverse it.

Today I learned that next April's total solar eclipse will pass right over Cleveland. I have been meaning to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame so I snagged and Air B&B before everything is sold out. A lot of hotels already are.

The weather is a total gamble, but the R&R show will go on in any event.

Some forums have a thread called "Today I Learned" where members post interesting facts they discovered that don't necessarily warrant their own thread. I did a quick search here and didn't find such a thread, so I thought I'd start one to see if it sticks.

TIL that some 400 million years ago giant mushrooms called prototaxites lived on the earth. The columnar organism, verified as a fungi in 2007, grew up to 29 feet tall! Makes the plate-sized shrooms sprouting in my yard seem quite humble.
At first I almost didn't reply, when I saw your "where members can post their interesting facts", but then I saw your mushroom post so i guess mine is OK:LOL:.

TIL some diseases are caused by proteins not being folded properly (e.g. Mad cow disease). Who knew?

I learned the same thing from Nova a few days ago. I was reminded of "the giant mushroom forest" from Journey to the Center of the Earth. Also learned that leaves evolved to allow more surface area for stotmata when CO2 levels fell in the atmosphere during the late Devonian period ~370 million years ago.

that there is a pine barrens area in my state, never knew that, but I am somewhat new to the area...so

While taking puppy out early AM today, I learned we have a resident owl in neighbors tree.

I learned the same thing from Nova a few days ago. I was reminded of "the giant mushroom forest" from Journey to the Center of the Earth. Also learned that leaves evolved to allow more surface area for stotmata when CO2 levels fell in the atmosphere during the late Devonian period ~370 million years ago.

That's where I saw it too. Nova is still a pretty good show, though sometimes now days I think they get carried away with dramatic music and graphical interludes at the cost of more informative content.

I learned that long ago a native Australia tribe used Killer whales to help them hunt whales.
The Killer whales acted like hunting dogs, and their reward was to eat the whale tongue and lips and the people got the rest.
This type of killer whale is now extinct.

I learned that long ago a native Australia tribe used Killer whales to help them hunt whales.
The Killer whales acted like hunting dogs, and their reward was to eat the whale tongue and lips and the people got the rest.
This type of killer whale is now extinct.

I can see that—killer whales are so intelligent, being part of the dolphin family.

Kinda prosaic, but I learned that after using a toilet brush you can put the seat down on top of the handle so it drains and dries before it gets stuck back in the covered brush holder.

Kinda prosaic, but I learned that after using a toilet brush you can put the seat down on top of the handle so it drains and dries before it gets stuck back in the covered brush holder.

Thanks, I learned that getting tips like this here just makes my new single life more complete! :cool:

:facepalm: Now why didn't I ever think of that? I'm always trying to balance it on the end of an empty TP roll in the trash can to keep it out of the hair that's in there while it dries.

That works until you replace a toilet with one with a lightweight plastic seat and lid...we learned that when we replaced a toilet.

TIL that UB-40 did not write Red, Red Wine. It was a cover of the song by, wait for it………..Neil Diamond!

That's a great tip! Thanks!

I just swish off anything on it in the toilet bowl then a final rinse in the bathtub.

I've known about that wonderful tip for a couple of years now and I can't remember for sure where I learned it. If I had to guess it was probably from a cleaning person I follow on Instagram.
I did share it in an Amazon Vine review last year with photos.

Attachments

• 616wBQ575UL.jpg
    616wBQ575UL.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
TIL that UB-40 did not write Red, Red Wine. It was a cover of the song by, wait for it………..Neil Diamond!

Sticking with the music theme.....
TIL one of my favorite Rod Steward songs-"(I know) I'm Losing You" was first done by The Temptations and not long after by Rare Earth, all before RS did it. Both covers are better than the original, IMO.

Last edited:
I learned that it only takes about 10 minutes to replace the filling guts of a toilet.
Our old one started going weird, just as the tank was getting full it would stop/fill/stop/fill/stop/fill etc.
I had a spare in the basement so grabbed it and it was so easy, I wondered why I waited a week to do it :)

Back
Top Bottom