Today I Learned (TIL)

For all you frequent flyers, today I learned there's a secondhand store in Scottsboro Alabama that sells items from luggage lost by airlines.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/unclaimed-baggage-lost-luggage-store-scottsboro-alabama/

At the Unclaimed Baggage Center in Scottsboro, Alabama, lost luggage finds a new lease on life. This unique store stretches over a city block, filled with items from unclaimed airline baggage. Visitors here can find anything from a glitzy Rolex and a 1980s-style keyboard guitar to rare movie props, ancient violins and designer clothes.

Bryan Owens, who inherited the business from his father, describes the store's inventory with a hint of wonder. "If these bags could talk, what a story they'd have to tell," he said.

Among the unusual finds are suits of armor. "We've had more than one suit of armor come through, believe it or not," Owens said.

Airlines typically have a 90-day window to reunite lost bags with their owners. After this period, the bags are deemed lost, and the airlines compensate the flyers. Owens then purchases these unclaimed bags by the truckload. The contents, ranging from wearable items to electronics, are cleaned, data-wiped and priced for resale.

"The thing that separates us from a thrift store is thrift stores are things that people, people don't want anymore. These are items that we have that people didn't wanna part with," said Owens.

The store has seen its share of valuable items and sentimental items including a $22,000 Rolex and wedding dresses.

TIL a 42 mile long conveyor belt is currently being built to deliver proppant (sand) from Texas to New Mexico.

Atlas Energy Solutions is building the Dune Express, the area’s first long-haul overland proppant conveyor system, to optimize delivery from the company’s sand mine in Kermit, Texas, to the northern Delaware Basin in New Mexico.

West TX is a windy place so the desingers had to figure out how to keep the sand from being blown from the conveyor.

...the project team tested the stand and conveyor in a wind tunnel to develop a design where the proppant would stay on the belt.

“The first 2 or 3 days of testing didn't go too well. We filled that wind tunnel full of sand, but we finally landed on a design that ensured we did not lose sand.

We also drove a mock-up of the system to Washington state and tested it in front of a jet engine with water to simulate sideways rain. The sand stayed dry. It is a proprietary design that keeps the elements out and the sand in.”

The "Dune Express". Love the name. :)

Atlas Energy’s Dune Express Proppant Conveyor Rolling Into the Permian Basin

TIL that the baby carrots sold in bags are very often not really baby carrots.

https://www.delish.com/food-news/a43181414/dont-eat-baby-carrots/

They’re not actually “baby.” The package might claim otherwise, but most carrots sold as “baby carrots” are just regular carrots that have been cut into two-inch pieces, shaved, and polished down to that snackable size.

They can develop this weird white film and get slimy. Because these carrots are now entirely composed of cut sides, they’re more prone to drying out and developing carrot blush, a thin white film that forms due to dehydration. Or, even worse, they can get slimy inside the bag, even before it’s opened. Which is just downright gross.

I remember finding many bags of these slimy buggers abandoned in the fridge at the office.

TIL a 42 mile long conveyor belt is currently being built to deliver proppant (sand) from Texas to New Mexico.

West TX is a windy place so the desingers had to figure out how to keep the sand from being blown from the conveyor.

The "Dune Express". Love the name. :)

Atlas Energy’s Dune Express Proppant Conveyor Rolling Into the Permian Basin

While a 42 mile conveyor maybe a record, my former employer used covered conveyors up to 8 miles to transport coal from the preparation plant to power plants as well as from pit mouths to preparation plants since the late 1960's. Easier to maintain outside instead of underground, less regulatory scrutiny, bigger faster conveyors.

I eat lots of carrots and lots of those are the baby carrots sold in little one pound bags. Not one of the reasons in the article are reasons why you "should never eat" them.

Today I learned that my 457 ROTH rollover starts the 5 year clock over. Somehow I never understood that and thought the 8 years I've had the 457 ROTH was enough. Always learning something new!

Today I learned there's still a phone number you can call to get the time:

202-762-1401

It's eastern time, in 24-hour format, and not the same staid female voice I remember from the days of dial telephones, but the service is still available. According to AARP, the number received more than three million calls in 2015.

^^^ Wouldn't it be quicker to just check the time on your phone before you dial that number?

^^^ Wouldn't it be quicker to just check the time on your phone before you dial that number?

I read there's a spike in calls when daylight savings time begins and ends. People wondering if their phone switched or not. And certainly some people still don't have phones that show the time.

I read there's a spike in calls when daylight savings time begins and ends. People wondering if their phone switched or not. And certainly some people still don't have phones that show the time.

I just compare to my microwave or oven and see of the phone is 1 hour off. Then I know the phone switched.

Dunno - the flashing twelve hasn't been much help..

But it's right twice a day, so you just have to catch it at the right moment. For the AM/PM thing, just look out the window to see if it's light or dark.

Well, there are still lots of people who don't have a cell phone. Many of them don't even want one.

NASA introduced a new fast airplane. Looks like a Platypus.

Today I learned that my mom, who died in 2022, has some unclaimed money from United Healthcare sitting out there in the hands of the Department of Revenue. I downloaded the form and will send in all the paperwork to claim it.

There's a little for my dad too, but I'm not sure I can claim it because I don't have the necessary paperwork since mom handled all of his affairs after he died.

Back
Top Bottom