Today's Grocery List

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
A partial list from today's grocery shopping.

8 oz. baby portabellas $.99
2 lbs kiwi fruit $.99
4 head pack of Artisan lettuce $.25
8 oz. blueberries $.99
1 lb. strawberries $.99
1 lb. baby carrots $.99
1 lb. Roma tomatoes $.99
Bananas $.44/lb
8 oz. swiss cheese block $1.59
12 oz. pkgd salad mix $.69
10.5 oz. Sunflower seeds $1.39
14 oz. fig newton cookies $.99
20 oz. Pkg honey oat cereal $1.19
large cucumber $.49
2 lbs green grapes $1.78
3lb ground turkey $1.99/lb.
750 ml bottle Winking Owl Shiraz $2.89
4 pack organic avocados $2.79
6 oz. low cal yogurt $.39
1.5 qt. lactose free icecream $2.29
1/2 Gal. lactose free almond Milk $2.29

Some sale prices, others regular price.

Are you sure you did not pull a receipt from 1996?

My guess is you have an Aldi's where you live. Grapes are $2.99 a pound and leaf lettuce is $1.99 a head at Safeway out here. I did pick up a 2 pound package of strawberries at Sprouts this morning on sale for $1.98. Leaf lettuce was $0.88. The cheapest bananas are $0.79 per pound.

We went to Costco today with a two-item shopping list (turkey and lemons) and came home $80 poorer with twelve items :LOL:

Last edited:
where's the beef?

$3 wine? hope you are just cooking with that....

I did notice yesterday that bananas here had risen to 57¢ Canadian, which equates to ~ 44¢ US, (although they were at 37¢ Canadian a couple days ago.)

You must let us know how the Winking Owl tastes - (googled looks like that's an Aldi brand?). I was at WF this weekend and picked up a $2.99 bottle of Three Wishes Pinot Grigio because I figured I have to try that! Came home read the reviews... looks like the most I will do is cook with it.

But wow if those are current Aldi prices - the baby bellas alone at publix are $2.50!

I consider myself an Aldi's pioneer and I just can't believe how fancy the newer stores are. They are expanding here. I usually go wherever they have milk on sale since we now need two varieties of lactose-free and 2 half-gallons for $6 is the best I ever found. Went to Aldi's last week and they have it for 5.40 (regular price).

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Did most of the list by memory... so a few differences...
FWIW... the receipt:

The "baby lettuce" @$.25... referred to the 4 head packages of Artisan lettuce... close out... not the regular price which is $2.49
Most expensive was the prunes.
DW had a separate basket with some meats and the Shiraz... which, by the way I like.... Have you tried it?
http://www.metasip.co/why-a-3-wine-from-aldi-is-worthwhile/

Attachments

• receipt - Copy.jpg
    receipt - Copy.jpg
    593.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Impressive list, imoldernu. We don't have any Aldi's in our area, but I can get somewhat close to those prices with shopping at 99 Cent Only and Grocery Outlet stores. How much do you spend in a month on groceries for two?

The cheapest bananas are $0.79 per pound.

I don't know if this is all Trader Joe's but our local TJs sell bananas for 19 cents each with an average weight of 8 ounces. The Grocery Outlet price is usually 25 cents each.

Here's mine.

Candy bars, baked goods, tequila and rye whiskey, fillet mignon and bean sprouts. Benihana steak tonight with margaritas. German chocolate cake for dessert - :)

Attachments

• groclista.jpg
    groclista.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 31
I won't post my receipt-the diet police would use it for evidence.
But the prices on milk have dropped to half at all stores but Aldi's is 1.49 per gallon. Dairy farmers must be hurting.
Wegmans steak prices for butcher counter were 18.99 lb. Ouch

I won't post my receipt-the diet police would use it for evidence.
But the prices on milk have dropped to half at all stores but Aldi's is 1.49 per gallon. Dairy farmers must be hurting.
Wegmans steak prices for butcher counter were 18.99 lb. Ouch

$1.49 a gallon for milk? It's just about $3.00 a gallon here. I should start bootlegging milk.

cherries
berries
squash
wine
nuts

All from Costco this time. Either that or Trader Joe's usually.

Here's mine.

Candy bars, baked goods, tequila and rye whiskey, fillet mignon and bean sprouts. Benihana steak tonight with margaritas. German chocolate cake for dessert - :)

Fourteen bucks for protein and eighty-six on carbs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Yeah Baby!

The booze will last longer than the meat - :)

Lucy will get some too;

19600865329_e161345652.jpg

She just loves tenderloin sauteed in garlic butter!

She's a healthy looking girl don't ya think?

Odds are I'll outlive her. I'll be ~72 and she'll be dead at 14. The downside of dogs.

Maybe I'll die in my sleep tonight and Lucy will survive. But at least I'll go with Benihana steak in my belly and my girlfriend has a key.

How are your arteries and what are you having for supper tonight?

Last edited:
She's a healthy looking girl don't ya think?

Odds are I'll outlive her. I'll be ~72 and she'll be dead at 14. The downside of dogs.

Maybe I'll die in my sleep tonight and Lucy will survive. But at least I'll go with Benihana steak in my belly and my girlfriend has a key.

How are your arteries and what are you having for supper tonight?

I'll play:

Out with my two friends as we go every Wednesday night (25 years now) unless one of us is out of town. Our trip is walk the golf course for an hour then head to the 19th Hole for "Big Ass Beers" and chicken wings. Oh, we have a ton of popcorn too.

Our DW's?... well they do "whatever"....which could be playing Bonko with the ladies or going to Willie's Ice House.

I'm not sure if any of the wings or popcorn is "healthy", but we are still doing OK for our ages. :LOL:

The Benihana "steak & sprouts" were very good. Medium rare and very tender and flavorful. Lucy seemed to agree, she ate 25% and really fast too, I couldn't even get back here and sit down before she demanded her after supper game of tug.

Attachments

• BHstk&sprts0001.jpg
    BHstk&sprts0001.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 9
This morning went shopping and brought back...
3 lbs "grape" tomatoes
4 lbs large tomatoes
2 lbs okra
1.5 lbs asparagus
4 lbs japanese eggplant
basil
rosemarry
Total cost $0
Shopped in backyard garden. :D

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom