Tomorrow I give notice to retire!

Congrats!

Your thread made me realize my 3 year retirement anniversary is next month. I retired Feb 2012, at 56. Those 3 years have flown past!

Congrats to you both. Its inspiring for me. I have 17-18 months to go and now work 80% of FT.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Regarding that box, when I retired I took a couple of boxes home. Some of it was my personal stuff, but a lot of it was things like awards (little Lucite trophies or plaques), diplomas, work related books, and a bunch of little knick knacks and doohickeys I had accumulated over my career. I took the boxes home, stuck them in the garage, and then a year or so later I threw most of it out. The books I donated. It's amazing how totally unimportant this stuff becomes once you are off of the treadmill.

I used to have what I called a "Wall of Shame" where I collected all that kind of junk. Mostly awards, cheap trinkets, and other swag that employers hand out thinking it makes a difference.

The worst one was when I used to work at HP and they spun my division off into Agilent. They gave everybody some kind of stock option for 100 shares, and a Lucite block engraved with "Founder's Grant" on it. 100 options...big f'ing deal. I think the things were underwater the entire time I worked there, so I never exercised mine. The Lucite block was worth more than the options.

When I last moved, I decided I didn't want to pack all that junk, so I threw it all away. Good riddance.

Congrats to BBQ-Nut and 2B! Best wishes and looking forward to hearing about the next stage of life!

It's also nice to hear about 2 people taking this step because the time is right for them, but that generally have good things to say about how they've been treated.

Congrats to BBQ-Nut and 2B! Best wishes and looking forward to hearing about the next stage of life!

It's also nice to hear about 2 people taking this step because the time is right for them, but that generally have good things to say about how they've been treated.
Thanks.

On Thursday my boss came to me to see how difficult it would be to transition someone else on to the instrument data sheets. Typically, this would be easy but the client has not provided consistent information to complete them. Documentation is inconsistent. I said my departure is totally at his discretion but he just needs to understand that anyone coming in cold will be a deer in the headlights.

We've got several people rolling off projects without charge numbers to go to. Since I'm leaving he'd really like to get my charge number for someone that's staying. It's typical to be somewhat slow around the end/beginning of the year but it looks like this is the real deal. It's clear we don't have the jobs coming to keep everyone busy.

I'm expecting that I'll be gone either next Friday or the one after. :dance:Overhead is to be avoided even if the poor sap taking over for me gets a mess to deal with they don't understand.

I'm expecting that I'll be gone either next Friday or the one after. :dance:Overhead is to be avoided even if the poor sap taking over for me gets a mess to deal with they don't understand.

Sounds like a bit of a surprise here. Are you ready to go that soon?

Overhead is to be avoided even if the poor sap taking over for me gets a mess to deal with they don't understand.

Isn't that how most 'transition' into their new workscope?? :D

It was for me in just about everything I did:facepalm:

I'm on a gentle glide path to next Thursday.

Everyone I've talked to has congratulated me on a plan well executed and a bit envious.

Some older 'dinosaurs' like myself (in the job field our company has decided not to pursue anymore) are planning their own exits - and my decision is adding weight to their own tipping point.

4 days to FIRE....

Woohoo! Congratulations. I know you are a conscientious person, but they don't need you and you really really don't need them. Enjoy!

4 days to FIRE....

Congratulations! I am very happy for you. Sometimes the anticipation is the best part, but not in this case!

It's true what people say, retirement just keeps getting better. Enjoy your new found freedom.

Sounds like a bit of a surprise here. Are you ready to go that soon?
I am ready to be gone now. My open transition offer to my boss was entirely a courtesy based on his conduct towards me for the last decade. I feel I owe him the transition he wants. I don't believe I owe him another assignment that might go another year. My resignation 5 January was based on keeping my SERP payment out of 2014 which would have killed me on income taxes.

I have a nice Cave chilling in the fridge. It will be ready when the times come. The sooner the better.

Well - it's now 'official' - FIRE'd today!

Went in for my last day, wrapped up my farewell email to some co-workers, said goodbye to others, put the last of my personal belongings in a bag, turned in my badge and walked out the door.

Reality is settling in that a new chapter is finally here!

Went in for my last day, wrapped up my farewell email to some co-workers, said goodbye to others, put the last of my personal belongings in a bag, turned in my badge and walked out the door.

congratulations and welcome to the club.

BBQ-Nut,

So excited for you and what adventures await you! Thank you for sharing your story with us. It has been inspiring.:dance:

Awww, you must be so happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Congratulations!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Congrats BBQ. How's your first day of freedom?

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Hope to be joining you sooner rather than later.

Enjoy your new found freedom and a brand new chapter in life :cool:

Congrats BBQ. How's your first day of freedom?

Very low key...loving it!

My DW is taking the day off to help me celebrate.

We are going to a local winery to enjoy the day, sip some wine, stroll the shops, stop at the Farmer's Market there to pick up something for dinner.

I was just told my last day is 27 February. :dance:

My boss came into my office. I started the converstion by saying the worst of the messes of my part of the project are resolved and someone could take over for me. My boss said that he wanted me to stay with it until th end of February which would be less disruptive to the client.

Back
Top Bottom