TPMS sensors: replace them?

CardsFan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My 2012 Altima has served me well. Nothing beyond batteries, oil changes and tires.

I now get a light that says the TPMS has a problem. Google search says probably the batteries are going (they have a 5-10 year life).

If I were keeping this car for a while, I would probably forgo replacement. After all, I survived 35 years of driving without them before they were invented.

However, I am going to buy a new car in a few months, and sell the Altima to a friend's daughter for the granddaughter who turns 16 in April. The car will be sold with a very generous "friends and family" discount.

I want it to be a safe vehicle, so I think I will do this first.

Has anyone done this? What did it cost? Internet says maybe $250 for all 4. I will get quotes tomorrow, but interested in other's experiences.

I had the same problem of recent. Took the truck to Discount Tire and they used a tool to measure the signal (battery strength) on each tire for free. All were OK. It was mentioned that to replace they were around $40/ea.

Mine turns out to be the tire pressure monitor receiver. Part only is $500: smaller than a deck of cards.

Bill, I thought I filed my TPS reports?

Whoops, wrong thread. Carry on.

(Apologies to "Office Space" fans.)

Seriously, Discount Tire checks ours too. Cars are 13 and 14 years old. Somewhere in that time, both cars had "rebuild kits" applied.

It's just part of the story with these new sensors.

10 years old and at least one has failed... Sounds like it's time to replace them all, if you want them to continue to work reliably.

I'd take it to a place like Discount Tires. Ask for their TMPS service and ask for a quote before they start... Takes about as much time as it does to change a set of tires.

Last edited:
I never replace my TPMS sensors. I just accept the little idiot light that's now always on in my older cars. I used to check pressure periodically in my pre-TPMS cars and now just stay in the habit.

Thanks all. I will check with Discount tire for a test and quote.

If one is bad, I will replace them all.

Just hope it is not the $500 receiver.

one or some are bad in my prius. I checked the price for replacement and it ended up with a price I was not willing to pay. so I just check my tires like before tpms and let it go at that. I have no plan on selling the car so that could make a difference. true that if i was selling to family I might think differently and have it fixed. I do not know if young people pay attention to tires, my grandaughter called me one day and said her car was stuck going up a hill in some snow we had and I told her I would drive in and see what was going on. turns out she had a flat tire and the tire was spinning on the rim and not getting traction. changed the tire and fixed the problem, but it goes to show that a lot of the younger ones depend on the built in technology.

one or some are bad in my prius. I checked the price for replacement and it ended up with a price I was not willing to pay. so I just check my tires like before tpms and let it go at that.
Make sure to cover the light with some electrical tape. :LOL:

I have come along to really like TPMS. It has detected nails I picked up really early. It gives you a chance for a good repair, because if you run the tire really low for a while, you ruin it.

And if you are on the highway at speed and the light comes on, it can help prevent disaster.

I'm an old school guy and used to really watch and monitor this stuff the old way, but TPMS is one area I embrace.

I wasn’t willing to pay the price until we bought new tires for our 13 year old Prius. Dealer said it was the sensor receiver and they would have to remove the dashboard to get to it. Nope.

Costco offered to replace all four sensors when they replaced the tires. $136 parts and labor. Hooray for Costco.

I wasn’t willing to pay the price until we bought new tires for our 13 year old Prius. Dealer said it was the sensor receiver and they would have to remove the dashboard to get to it. Nope.

Costco offered to replace all four sensors when they replaced the tires. $136 parts and labor. Hooray for Costco.

So you are saying the dealer misdiagnosed the issue and went for the expensive repair first?

I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell ya!

My 2012 Altima has served me well. Nothing beyond batteries, oil changes and tires.

I now get a light that says the TPMS has a problem. Google search says probably the batteries are going (they have a 5-10 year life).

If I were keeping this car for a while, I would probably forgo replacement. After all, I survived 35 years of driving without them before they were invented.

However, I am going to buy a new car in a few months, and sell the Altima to a friend's daughter for the granddaughter who turns 16 in April. The car will be sold with a very generous "friends and family" discount.

Has anyone done this? What did it cost? Internet says maybe $250 for all 4. I will get quotes tomorrow, but interested in other's experiences.
I think you are doing the right thing. I don't know what it costs but you clearly do not want anything bad happening to a 16 year old friend.
It's that simple to me.

Thanks all. I will check with Discount tire for a test and quote.

If one is bad, I will replace them all.

Just hope it is not the $500 receiver.
Discount Tries should identify the TPMS problem at no cost. Then offer you options of replacing what has failed. New or rebuilt ones.

Another thought. A common problem is, (even for new cars) TPMS warning lights often come on when the outside air temperatures drop too much. (it gets colder outside). If that's what's causing the light to come on, just make sure your tires are properly inflated and then after driving a few more miles, the light should go out. If the light still stays on, then yes, something has failed.

Last edited:
16 year old's were driving long before TPMS sensors were standard on cars. How about we teach the 16 year old about basic car maintenance including checking tire air pressure periodically, and let them take on some responsibility. Even if the car had all TPMS sensors working as they should, the 16 year old should still be checking the air in the spare tire periodically, so they may as well check the other 4 tires at the same time. In addition, at a bare minimum, they should also be taught how to check oil level and coolant level, especially on an older vehicle.

Last edited:

Just had ours replaced on a 2011 Honda CR-V at Discount tire. Had been sometimes on and sometimes off for the past 5 years or so. Finally was on more than off so I broke down and had all 4 replaced. $270 all in.

I put new tires on the 2009 GMC 3 years ago. The sensors had already died by than. Amazon sold me a set of 4 for $45.17 and WalMart installed for free when they installed my tires.

I love buying tires from Walmart because of there $10 tire replacement guaranty. Once I was buying 4 new tires for the PU the young woman that checked me in gave me a wink and said "Oh your not happy with the tires". Here I will knock $60 off each. Thank you very much.

One of my sensors may have gone bad, I have to check it out. Temperature was 25 this morning and only Ms G drives the truck.

Last edited:
I admire your concern. You are a good person/friend. Selling to a person who is a relative of a friend, I would replace the TPMS, especially knowing that person is a new driver. There is nothing good that can come from not replacing them. You will sleep well at night by doing it. If I were trading in the car, I would not, and have not, spent the time and money to replace the TPMS.

I would get them fixed no matter the cost and bump up the friends and family price to cover it. I’m sure you’ll still be giving them a great deal.

As for fixing them in general, I believe that it’s worth it to fix anything that needs to be fixed. I don’t like having things in disrepair on my vehicles. I want them to work as engineered.

Mine has been on for a few years and I have no intention of fixing it on a 15 year old car. I would add the repair to the price since you are already giving them a good deal.

16 year old's were driving long before TPMS sensors were standard on cars. How about we teach the 16 year old about basic car maintenance including checking tire air pressure periodically, and let them take on some responsibility. Even if the car had all TPMS sensors working as they should, the 16 year old should still be checking the air in the spare tire periodically, so they may as well check the other 4 tires at the same time. In addition, at a bare minimum, they should also be taught how to check oil level and coolant level, especially on an older vehicle.

Although I basically agree with you that 16 year olds would all benefit from learning basic automobile operation and maintenance, I'm afraid the world has moved on.

And we shouldn't all assume we were saints about this. My dad forgot a few basics with my sister and she blew the engine on the '72 Chevelle because she waited until the light came on to check the oil.

I'm sure back in the 30's old timers were dismayed that the new cars didn't require on-the-fly spark advance adjustment like the good old model T did. And I absolutely KNOW that old-timers are dismayed that kids have no concept of how a transmission works. I know because I've seen it on this board. Manual transmission car =equals= theft insurance. :LOL:

Mine was flashing last week and like yours the internet said batteries were probably dead. A week later I brought it in for inspection and the shop just reset it. Hasn’t come back in 6 weeks. Maybe you’ll get lucky too.

It's cheapest to replace the sensors when you get new tires. Since to install the tire needs to be loosened or removed from the wheel. Depends on sensor type. But until then just check air pressure the old fashioned way. That's my recommendation.

Back
Top Bottom