Transportation in London

PERSonalTime

Recycles dryer sheets
What is the best way to get around town in the city of London? I understand they have a transportation system similar to a Subway called the tube. How much does it cost and what's the most economical way of paying for transportation on this system?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Be sure to "Mind the Gap..." Sorry - couldn't resist.

Do not know how much it costs toady, but if you can buy a week pass... you can get on and off as much as you want and also ride the buses...

When people would come over to visit, I would get on a double decker bus with them and just ride it around town looking at all the sites.... get up front if you can...

Edit.... looked it up.... here is the info...

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/adult-fares.pdf

WOW... it has gone up for the single fare.... buy the all day if you do not want to buy the 7 day as that is basically two fares but you can use it all day....

Last edited:
Get an Oyster Card. It ends up being about half-price compared to single tickets. It works for tube as well as surface transportation (buses and even riverboats).
There are some multi-day passes available too that may fit your needs (really depends on how long your stay is and how much and where you travel), but I have always found the Oyster card to be the most flexible (you can re-charge it as you go, if you need more than you expected).
Not sure what the policy is for posting links here, but here is one that explains it better.
https://www.visitbritainshop.com/us...on_transport&gclid=CODS_Pbno84CFVg9gQodDuUN-w

You can also buy these ahead of your trip - they'll ship it to your home. Or buy one when you arrive at the airport.

I understand they have a transportation system similar to a Subway called the tube.

I guess, since it was the first in the world, the others are similar to it. ;)

Euro,
You hit it right! That is the site I went to for Oyster cards, jet boat down the Thames, London Eye, Tower of London and other sites in and around London
PERS, if you have time, go to Camden Locks and take a canal boat ride.

Last time I was in London I walked everywhere. Yes, the Tube and buses work well, but it is a very walkable city.

Yes it's a great city to walk in. And the Tube and the train system are great for longer trips.

Great to walk in for sure. Pay attention to crossing streets! Sounds simple right? Pay attention, them crazy Brits go round the wrong way.:eek:

My first day by myself I missed looking the wrong way, almost run over. So I figured I'm not going to be the first person through the intersection(pretty smart huh).;) Till a gaggle of us were in the middle of an intersection and someone going the wrong way almost took the gaggle out.

The London Tube is excellent as it's pretty extensive, gets you (close) to all the key tourist sites, and avoids traffic congestion. It's our primary transportation when in London other than hoofing it.
The only problem is that you're obviously travelling underground and missing travelling through and seeing neighbourhoods above ground.

What:confused:

When the subway car door opens, there is a small gap (a couple inches) between the car and the station platform. If you are not paying attention, you can easily trip. So "mind the gap".

Among other, (totally unrelated, but sometimes far more interesting), things, this could refer to the space between the edge of the platform and the train carriage.

What:confused:

The gap is the space between the platform and the floor of the train. In some cases, the station is on a curve, which increases the gap
330px-Cmglee_Bank_Underground_platform.jpg

Euro,
You hit it right! That is the site I went to for Oyster cards, jet boat down the Thames, London Eye, Tower of London and other sites in and around London
PERS, if you have time, go to Camden Locks and take a canal boat ride.

Thanks Souschief! I'll definitely check it out.

The gap is the space between the platform and the floor of the train. In some cases, the station is on a curve, which increases the gap

Ooooooh! Thanks for the education 😉

Among other, (totally unrelated, but sometimes far more interesting), things, this could refer to the space between the edge of the platform and the train carriage.

One of the more interesting things

Attachments

• mind the gap.jpg
    mind the gap.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 14
Get an Oyster Card. It ends up being about half-price compared to single tickets. It works for tube as well as surface transportation (buses and even riverboats).
There are some multi-day passes available too that may fit your needs (really depends on how long your stay is and how much and where you travel), but I have always found the Oyster card to be the most flexible (you can re-charge it as you go, if you need more than you expected).
Not sure what the policy is for posting links here, but here is one that explains it better.
https://www.visitbritainshop.com/us...on_transport&gclid=CODS_Pbno84CFVg9gQodDuUN-w

You can also buy these ahead of your trip - they'll ship it to your home. Or buy one when you arrive at the airport.

Excellent! Just the information I needed.😃

BTW, the gap is a real hazard...

There was more than one time someone fell into the gap and we had to push the button so the train would not go...

I remember the first time since the driver got out and was cursing out the people for hitting the button as he had to come to each car that was pushed and do something to reset it....

Just and FYI, but I did see a gap map on the tube site... it shows the various gaps that are at each station since people using wheelchairs need to know what they are facing...

For my 7 day trip with family, I think a travel card will be the way to go. We are staying at a property very close to a riverboat stop and travel card gives you a 30% discount on boat rides compared to 10% with an Oyster Card. The 7 day card is a great value.

European subway systems are fantastic. Used them extensively in London, Rome, and Paris.

Don't forget to use the commuter rail as well - your pass is good for the central section and sometimes it is faster if you are traveling across town

Also get the iPhone App - London Tube App - great to plan trips

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

"Mind the Gap"

I was also referencing the often repeated phrase/warning heard on the station PA system when a train is loading/unloading.

For my 7 day trip with family, I think a travel card will be the way to go. We are staying at a property very close to a riverboat stop and travel card gives you a 30% discount on boat rides compared to 10% with an Oyster Card. The 7 day card is a great value.

The family and I spent a week in London the past summer (2015) (me + DW + 5 kids (tweens thru teenagers).

I did a bit a research on transit cards and for us, the 7-day London TravelCard worked out best. Get a 7 day pass from a National Rail Station, and you get 2 for 1 discounts on a number of sites (You have to purchase from a National Rail Site - getting from a Tube station will NOT work to get the 2 for 1 deals). The downside is that you have to physically buy it at a National Rail Site. You cannot purchase ahead of time or over the internet. We felt it was better than the Oyster card, and we didn't want to get locked in by purchasing one of the all access passes. We definitely got our monies worth on the transit part - took buses/tube everywhere. Used the 2 for 1 a couple of times which helped a few bucks (or pounds as the case may be). Another note that if you do purchase this type of TravelCard, you will need a passport sized photo as they give you a card with your picture on it as well as your travel card. The picture card was used on buses, etc..

If you have a smart phone, there is a great London transit app. I believe it was free. We stayed by King Cross station and could put in our location and destination and it would let us know which bus, tube, etc. to take and the location of the bus stop. Could watch on the map in real time where you were going.

Back
Top Bottom