Votes: 29 34.5%
  • $5,000 to $10,000

Votes: 39 46.4%
  • $10,000 to $20,000

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • Greater than $20,000

Votes: 4 4.8%

• Total voters
MJ, have you ever read the book "Tales of a Female Nomad" by Rita Golden Gelman? I read it a while back and it made me really want to get out there and go. (she travels alone, so does the guy who wrote Vagabonding)

My budgeted travel money is kind of high, I suspect this could be lower with longer term travel. I just always like to know that if I "need" a night or two of air conditioning or really want to go to spend more on an activity or meal that I don't have to worry about it.

SteveR said:
Having someone else on the trip does increase expenses
SteveR,
can you give some examples?
When I travel with my wife it costs less per person than if I was doing it alone.
You can share hotel room, meals, taxi rides etc.

sailor said:
When I travel with my wife it costs less per person than if I was doing it alone.
Hey, when I travel with my wife it costs a "lot" more, at least if there are any shops around. She says shes saving money, but it doesn't look like that to me. Of course, traveling her is "worth it".

sailor said:
SteveR,
can you give some examples?
You can share hotel room, meals, taxi rides etc.

Airfare is twice as much with two people.
Two people sharing a room requires a "doubles" rate vs one person as a "single".
Two people going to an attraction costs twice as much as one.
Food expenses are higher than with one.
Clothes cleaning costs are higher with two unless you can convince the little lady to bang them on a rock next to a stream.
Trinket costs are much higher (at least with my wife) if I were alone...cost is zero.

I think our disagreement comes from the different cost perception.
I'm comparing cost per person - you are comparing the total cost of the group.
Your cost would be higher of course if you paid for the whole group :D
But you used "someone else" as the description of your traveling companion, so I didn't think you need to pay for "someone else".

As to your examples:

SteveR said:
Not necessary - ever heard about companion fares?
Two people sharing a room requires a "doubles" rate vs one person as a "single".
Still cheaper per person in most places.

As far as trinkets it helps that DW is beyond the trinket phase in her life - although we seem to amass large amounts of toddlers toys lately ;)

sailor said:
I think our disagreement comes from the different cost perception.
I'm comparing cost per person - you are comparing the total cost of the group.
Your cost would be higher of course if you paid for the whole group :D
But you used "someone else" as the description of your traveling companion, so I didn't think you need to pay for "someone else".

As to your examples:
Not necessary - ever heard about companion fares?Still cheaper per person in most places.

As far as trinkets it helps that DW is beyond the trinket phase in her life - although we seem to amass large amounts of toddlers toys lately ;)

I was not aware we were disagreeing. :confused:
It looks to me like an open discussion of opinions.

You are looking at a per person cost with various exceptions to the general costs associated with two or more people traveling together. I am talking about the total cost of travel that I would need to reserve as a budget item for both my wife and myself to travel together. My budget is on the conservative side since I can't always plan on special rates or companion fares. I will burn through my 500,000 Frequent Flier miles before I have to buy a real ticket once we retire so that will be my major travel cost avoidance for a while.

I had a revelation about vacation trips. This is what I discovered, for me at least:

It's all about the food.

TromboneAl said:
I had a revelation about vacation trips.  This is what I discovered, for me at least:

It's all about the food.

Interesting! For me, it's never about the food. OTOH, DW says I am a
billy goat (referring to my eating habits) :)

JG

SteveR said:
Two people going to an attraction costs twice as much as one.
Food expenses are higher than with one. 
Clothes cleaning costs are higher with two unless you can convince the little lady to bang them on a rock next to a stream.
Trinket costs are much higher (at least with my wife) if I were alone...cost is zero.

None of this could possibly cost more than my divorce would should I try to travel alone for months at a time. :'(

TromboneAl said:
Frequent flyer miles??

Well I use my points stash from when I was a working stiff when I have to but have actually been doing most of my flying on bump tickets for the last few years....who knew you could keep getting bumped over and over again if you know when to book your next bump ticket for...

Please tell us more about exploiting bumping.

When bumping first started, the airlines would give you cash to voluntarily get off a flight. I made $250 on one trip when I was a starving grad student (1977). In today's dollars that's $810!

TromboneAl said:

Most airlines give you money vouchers ("Delta Dollars").
The amount depends on much overbooked the flight is and how important (First Class/Business Class/Elite status) people are booked for the flight but don't have seats.
I've been given several $400 and few $250. They are good for a year from the date of issue.
If you are into frequent flying "flyer talk" forums are excellent resource ( http://www.flyertalk.com/ )

...Yrs to go said:
Okay.  Clearly I need travel saving tips.  $50 / day seems really lean for traveling in any 1st world country.  I'm a bit too old and too comfortable for the backpacking / hostel thing.

I didn't vote on the poll either, since we are PT's -- not sure how it would fit our situation, since we are, by definition always traveling. I think that is part of the difference between a "vacation" and a "lifestyle." When on vacation one has to fit everything into a defined time period. We don't put that kind of pressure on ourselves.  ;)  With our lifestyle of PT, we see all these places and eat in these countries every day.

With the $50 day idea in 1st world countries - you see we do that for months at a time, then balance it out with a country that doesn't impact our dollar as much. So we keep an average. It's not just "for these 2 weeks."  :D

That being said, we try to have one meal in our room which saves considerably on food cost. However, you can find hotels which include breakfast or buffets in the cost of your stay. Then you are not paying extra for that meal.

Especially in 1st world countries, we eat our main meal at lunch. Restaurants often offer lunch specials, set price lunches or buffets at a great price in order to increase their business.

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Billy said:
That being said, we try to have one meal in our room which saves considerably on food cost. However, you can find hotels which include breakfast or buffets in the cost of your stay. Then you are not paying extra for that meal.

Florence & Venice.  Two weeks.  10K.  Breakfast included.   :eek: :eek: :eek:

Florence & Venice.  Two weeks.  10K.  Breakfast included.     
:eek: :eek: :eek:

That has to be SOME breakfast!  :LOL: :LOL:

While in Kata Beach, we paid less than $50 USD a night in a 5 star hotel, breakfast buffet included. We were in the honeymoon suite (yup, our marriage is still like a honeymoon! 8)) with a 35-40 foot picture window with ocean view. The staff offered us free fruit drinks, and 1/2 pineapples filled with fruit. Since we had a refrigerator, we would also buy some things from town, and keep it for later.  This, however, is on the "high end" of our spending for lodging.

In Australia, we rented an apartment instead of staying in a hotel, ($25-30 USD night?) and bought local lamb, cheeses, wine, and beautiful vegetables. We had a view of the Sydney Harbor from the bedroom windows, the kitchen windows, and the living room windows.

Gosh, guys $10 K for 2 weeks! You need to go to the Kaderli's School for Travel Maintenance:LOL: :LOL:

With a little practice...

Akaisha
Author, THE ADVENTURER'S GUIDE TO EARLY RETIREMENT

MJ said:
That's cheap.  :crazy: :crazy:

Figured that'd get a rise out of some folks. The trip was for our 10th anniversary, we flew first class and stayed in nice (but not 5-star) places. Had a great time and don't regret a dime spent.

We didn't need to spend as much as we did but I'll throw down the guantlet and say that Venice & Florence can't be done on $50 / day unless you sit in your hostel and eat the Ramen noodles you brought with you - not my idea of a good time.

Here's your Venice budget:

Hostel - USD 34 / night
Admission to Peggy Guggenheim museum - USD 24 (20 Euro)
$50 budget - busted!

TromboneAl said:

My best bumping day was in 2001 from Chicago to Colorado Springs the day the new class of cadets at USAFA had to report, 3 tickets, twice for a total of $4350. 

First flight was oversold by 25 and they offered $600 per ticket. We volunteered but I told them I wanted $800 per seat.  Guy blew a gasket.  I told him that he had to do something the cadets on govt tickets had to get to the Springs. Folks in line behind me overheard and he had to give them all $800. 

Later in the day we decided we would just stay the night so we volunteered again.  Didn't need our seats but gave us $50 per ticket as a thank you.  Got on the plane called us off and gave us $600 more per ticket. 

Then I asked if they would put us up at the hotel at the airport since my luggage was gone and the car seats for the kids were checked baggage.  They did and when we got there no more standard rooms so we got a suite.  Of course we also had lunch, dinner, etc.

Shortly after this United filed for Chapter 11.  Hope it wasn't because of me ;)

JDW

. . . Yrs to Go said:
The trip was for our 10th anniversary
At this rate you won't be able to afford your 25th anniversary...

. . . Yrs to Go said:
I'll throw down the guantlet and say that Venice & Florence can't be done on $50 / day unless you sit in your hostel and eat the Ramen noodles you brought with you - not my idea of a good time.

YtG, I don't believe that you're reading the thread carefully. So let's try it one more time. The $50 is an daily average for a year. If you averaged $110 a day in Europe for 3 month and $30 a day in SE Asia for 9 months, your daily average would be approx. $50.38.

Again, I emphasize that this is not limited vacationing (1 to 3 weeks) but perpetual travelling.

MJ (a future perpetual traveller) :)

Nords said:
At this rate you won't be able to afford your 25th anniversary...

Got that covered - don't worry about me ;)

MJ said:
YtG, I don't believe that you're reading the thread carefully. So let's try it one more time. The $50 is an daily average for a year. If you averaged $110 a day in Europe for 3 month and $30 a day in SE Asia for 9 months, your daily average would be approx. $50.38.

Again, I emphasize that this is not limited vacationing (1 to 3 weeks) but perpetual travelling.

MJ (a future perpetual traveller) :)

Not only did I read it, but I understood it too. :)

I'm not a big fan of traveling in 3rd world countries (for a lot of reasons) so the $30 / day portion of the trip probably isn't going to suit me. Maybe after I've seen everything else there is to see I'll change my mind but I still have a lot of ground to cover before I get to that point.

I'm also not going to be staying in hostels or camp grounds, I want my own room and shower. In the countryside you can get B&B's sub $100 a night or rent out an apartment cheaply but in the cities that gets a bit tougher.

Obviously it's all about the budget.
If you had for example, $9k to spend annually, you can average,
$50 a day for 180 days
$100 a day for 90 days
$200 a day for 45 days
$643 a day for 14 days

Your choice. Any way, happy travelling

MJ :D

What about transportation? You can rent an apartment in Tuscany relatively cheaply, but renting a car is still pretty expensive. You can take a train, but then what do you do once you get to the train station? Walk? Hitchhike?

I'm having a hard time imagining getting by in Europe on even the $110 / day mentioned earlier.

MJ said:

MJ (a future perpetual traveller)  :)

I tend to somewhat agree although with alot of restrictions. Airfares must be keep to a minimun. Travel from the US to Asia must be at least $800 probably more. So you need to stay in Asia for quite a while. If after a couple of months you fly to Europe of Africa or the Phillipines it will cost. Averaging in airfares for a perputual traveler can reduce that $50 to $43 if $2500 a year is spend on air.

What does someone traveling alone do with his/her time? Excluding lodging, food, transportation there will be other costs.

Entertainment costs money. Traveling means doing things, I am sure there are many low cost things to do but many cost money too. Especially for someone traveling alone.
What about the premiums on your health insurance?

I have to think $50 a day would be a challenge for me.

. . . Yrs to Go said:
I'm having a hard time imagining getting by in Europe on even the $110 / day mentioned earlier.

Me too, but then I would mostly travel to see and do things. Some travel more to hang out in a cheap place. Hippies used to live in Goa on $3/day.

What I found in the 3rd world is that I got tired of getting weird diseases. I managed to get some that never really went away, in spite of some rather unpleasant work-ups.

On the topic of budgets in general, I find many of the budgets talked about here are pretty well beyond my comprehension. I don't live fancy at all, but I gaze in awe at some of the low cost lifestyles mentioned on this board.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom