Travel hopes 2021

Further to post #24.....there are so many 'Ex Eastern Bloc' towns with interesting, (to us), things to see, and although one does encounter European tourists, often from adjacent countries, the huge influx of North American/Brit visitors, (Covid notwithstanding), hadn't yet hit on our last trips to Bulgaria, and afterward, Romania.

Standing in line at the Tour Eiffel it ain't, (or at least wasn't), and we enjoy that.

A friend and I are hoping for a farm stay in Scotland in mid-April, just in time for lambing season.

I was hoping to do machu picchu/galapagos with OAT in Sept. 2021 to celebrate my 60th birthday. No bookings on this till we see where covid goes, what the travel restrictions are in other countries, etc.

May do some camping in national parks to stem the wanderlust in the meantime. Already have plans for death valley camping right before christmas.

We are not rebooking our month trip to Europe until we see what happens.

We are going to wait and see what happens also. We were going to go to Australia when DH retired this year (now postponed, the retirement) and Africa next year for my retirement. Still waiting to cancel the Australia tickets for a refund. Not even bothering to book Africa until we know their borders are open for travel. Thinking 2022 is going to be a very, very busy travel year for us to catch up - hopefully.

The original plan for this year was to make a long RV trip to the Great Lakes region. It does not look like we will be going anywhere this year.

I have been alternating between long RV trips and long European trips. Next year is supposed to be back to Europe for a 6 to 8-week trip. It may not be possible, but I will keep my eyes and ears open. If Europe is not reopened to Americans, then I will do the Great Lakes RV trip next year.

Sorry? There's a 'warm' time of year in Scotland? :D

Sounds like Newfoundland, where I believe summer was August 17th this year.

Our 2020 trip to Easterrn Europe was cancelled of course. I'm hoping that it will be do-able .come May of 2021, but it's just hope. I think I'll be thrilled if we can just go to our favorite hotel in Fort Lauderdale next year.

That would be a cold time of the year. Does sound intriguing though.

I live in SoCal. I get plenty of warmth most of the year.

Besides, I will enjoy wearing sweaters and suede jackets and boots I haven’t seen for a while—since my last trip over to the Scottish Highlands.

I don’t go to Scotland for the weather. I go for the people and the beauty.

Last edited:
We are not making plans until the pandemic is in the rear view mirror, but hope to see the British Isles (many things on that bucket list). I’d like to visit Hawaii and Iceland again.

Next September my niece is getting married, in Washington state. I’m thinking a long driving trip if we aren’t successfully vaccinated by then. There is a lot of country to see.

We have no intention of putting down a dime to secure future travel.

Our plan is to buy a week or so prior to departure for air. Even less for accommodation.

Making tentative plans for a week in Riviera Maya Mexico late January or February 2021. It’ll be a foursome with rookie international travelers kid brother and SIL. Will be staying at the adults-only Barcelo resort again.

I'm hoping Novovax comes out with their vaccine soon. Seems like the real deal among all vaccines. Then, we go to Europe next summer.

Playing around....looking at Fall 2021 (if I'm still around I'll be 79, but hey....)

'Plan' is in reverse order, written very lightly in pencil, (based on ship arrival date, (IF ship travel is viable by that time)), so start date (Toronto to Warsaw) is as yet 'undetermined':

Fall 2021 - reverse order:

Arrive Baltimore 8am on Sun Nov 14
Lufthansa or Alaskan $100 Departs at 5:15pm non-stop to Toronto (Nov 2020 price)

-Sunday, October 31 - departs Barcelona 05:00 p.m. Fast Deal #11899 Barcelona to Baltimore $903 Cdn p.p. (Aug 23/20) Carnival 'Legend'

- October 30 Warsaw to Barcelona fly

- Przemysl to Warsaw approx 6 1/2 hours

- Lviv to Przemysl (bus) overnight or two nights

- stay in Lviv - numerous day/overnight trips (Mukacheve, Chernivtsi, Ivano-Frankivsk, Drohobych, Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

- Vilnius to Lviv

- Stay in Vilnius (day/overnight trips, Kaunas, etc)

- Fly Warsaw to Vilnius

- Day/overnight trip(s) (Lidzbark, etc) from Warsaw

- Fly TAP Toronto to Warsaw

I know all about Vilnius and especially the art museums there. PM me with any questions you might have.

We rebooked out trip to Tuscany (originally supposed to be this April) for spring 2021, plus I have a trip to an art/music residency (campfr.com) for May, again delayed by a year.

I know all about Vilnius and especially the art museums there. PM me with any questions you might have.

Thank you. Appreciate the offer and may take you up on it down the road...early days yet though.

Our usual Modus (in)operandi is to wander back streets & alleys aimlessly until a town/city feels like 'ours'...(or at least until we can find our way back to where we began :LOL:).

Thanks again.

Sounds like a great trip Nemo. Poland is one of my favorites and I hope to go back again soon.

I’m tentatively hoping that I can attend international hockey next May in Belarus, even though due to CV and political unrest, it might be better to wait until 2022 when it’ll be in Finland.

If does happen, I’ll probably go on a train/road trip from Belarus, maybe to the Baltic countries/Poland, working my west, but staying in former Eastern European countries. If this works out, then DD will come with me and we’ll end with visiting family.

It’s one of my favorite parts of the world to visit, but I am a tad bit biased.

I am anxious as others are to 'getta traveling but am worried that with all the pent up demand, 2021 and 2022 is going to be absolute madness. There will be such a huge demand that prices will be through the roof and getting away from crowds will be next to impossible. Add in the fact that some places may continue reduced crowd levels for the foreseeable future, I can only imagine how expense it might become. Thankfully, I am often wrong, so hopefully that's the case for me!

My DW has a family member that is doing a destination wedding to Mexico next March that we would like to attend but I am leery as to what travel will be like in 6 short months.

. Poland is one of my favorites

Although nothing is of course finalized/guaranteed, we've just added another step:

- Przemysl to Lublin followed by Lublin to Warsaw, to replace Przemysl to Warsaw direct.

A few years ago we had a brief chat with a young couple from Belarus, aboard a now unfortunately defunct Spanish cruise ship, so Belarus is on the wish list too!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom