Travel hopes 2021

Manufacturer and lot number were handwritten on my card.

I took photos and also typed in all the info from the card. It was reasonably legible but I wanted to get it all down.

Yeah only handwritten stuff on my first shot.

I took a picture of it.

Supposedly at least some states have registries and this info gets entered by health care providers to update the data.

But sometimes doctors ask you when is the last time you had a tetanus injection. So they're obviously not looking it up and that info may or may not be in the health records that one practice keeps.

However people are obviously getting vaccinations at pharmacies.

So I've saved a note on my recent vaccinations, Shingrix, Tdap.

Yeah only handwritten stuff on my first shot.

I took a picture of it.

Supposedly at least some states have registries and this info gets entered by health care providers to update the data.

But sometimes doctors ask you when is the last time you had a tetanus injection. So they're obviously not looking it up and that info may or may not be in the health records that one practice keeps.

However people are obviously getting vaccinations at pharmacies.

So I've saved a note on my recent vaccinations, Shingrix, Tdap.

When I got my shot, the paperwork I received included a QR code to register with the CDC via mobile phone. My record of vaccination is registered with:
vsafe.cdc.gov (after vaccination health checker)
I assume that they will eventually turn this data into vaccine passports or at least a mechanism for verification of vaccination without your card.

When I got my shot, the paperwork I received included a QR code to register with the CDC via mobile phone. My record of vaccination is registered with:
vsafe.cdc.gov (after vaccination health checker)
I assume that they will eventually turn this data into vaccine passports or at least a mechanism for verification of vaccination without your card.

I got the same thing and registered with vsafe, but I thought the purpose of vsafe was to report side effects.

Yes, v-safe only asked me for my vaccine type and dates. Then had me check in many times to report side effects. They didn’t take lot numbers or location and little personal info.

Perhaps, but this would be too hard to prove and really unenforceable.

My SIL had a legitimate vaccine but they were out of the card stock version so it was simply a printed version of it. Also many of the mass vaccine clinics haven't been "taking names", especially since our state is now open to anyone and everyone over the age of 16. So, there is absolutely NO LEGITIMATE record of thousands (if not millions) of vaccinations.

While it seems like the "vaccinated only" travel/flights seems OK on paper, in theory I don't think it would ever happen, at least not this go around.

Um. No. I have been working vaccine PODs ("points of distribution") in your state (Oklahoma) for the last three months. Everyone who gets a vaccine has completed paperwork which includes name, address, date of birth, demographic information, AND a consent to receive the vaccine. Noone gets stuck until they (or their guardian if under 18) sign the consent. There is no willy-nilly "sticking" in Oklahoma, and all of the info is transferred to the online vaccination information maintained by the Oklahoma Department of Health (OSIIS).

My KF94 leaves no marks on my face even after I wore it 12 hours in the hospital. The brand name is BOTN, made in Korea. I got them from Amazon. I got the large white and it has adjustable ear loops. The ones I got are individually packaged. I find white masks to be cooler than black.

We got the same ones in black & were surprised how comfy they are (tho I went with black for fashion reasons...:LOL:)

We got the same ones in black & were surprised how comfy they are (tho I went with black for fashion reasons...:LOL:)

Ha ha! True that!

I wanted the white ones since the OP said they were cooler, but the reviews on the Amazon white ones had a few people saying they were counterfeit. Didn't see that on the reviews for the black ones (although I didn't dig extensively, I admit). So, I went with those. Many more reviews. Who knows, lol.

Ha ha! True that!

I wanted the white ones since the OP said they were cooler, but the reviews on the Amazon white ones had a few people saying they were counterfeit. Didn't see that on the reviews for the black ones (although I didn't dig extensively, I admit). So, I went with those. Many more reviews. Who knows, lol.

According to my research--it has to have the "Certified by the S. Korean Board of Ministry" (I THINK that's it...I might be off on exact wording in this moment) on the package. So the black ones seemed to be legit.

They are definitely thicker than other masks & more comfortable than N95s. My students asked if I was wearing 2 masks when I started wearing it due to the design. Also the design allows for adjustment--to make it snug to your face.

The only issue is the BOTN emblem is embossed...I have had it eventually pop thru part of the mask which would certainly affect effecacy.

Luckily we are both fully vaccinated (and past our 2 weeks)--these actually are still our "go to" masks, but as the weather warms the medical masks will probably be my go to. They were the only ones I could tolerate in the heat last summer.

According to my research--it has to have the "Certified by the S. Korean Board of Ministry" (I THINK that's it...I might be off on exact wording in this moment) on the package. So the black ones seemed to be legit.

They are definitely thicker than other masks & more comfortable than N95s. My students asked if I was wearing 2 masks when I started wearing it due to the design. Also the design allows for adjustment--to make it snug to your face.

The only issue is the BOTN emblem is embossed...I have had it eventually pop thru part of the mask which would certainly affect effecacy.

Luckily we are both fully vaccinated (and past our 2 weeks)--these actually are still our "go to" masks, but as the weather warms the medical masks will probably be my go to. They were the only ones I could tolerate in the heat last summer.

All good info - thanks!

I only plan to wear these for air travel - will wear regular masks for all other indoor daily activities. We are fully vaccinated, too - so I'm sure a regular mask would suffice on the airplane, but I'm having a bit of a hard time re-integrating without feeling anxious, so this will help me mentally with getting back to traveling. :)

DH said he intends to wear a mask on planes for good.
As s a teacher, I appreciated not getting sick this year! No colds, flu, NOTHING!
I must admit I am getting mask fatigue--it's getting to me; the warmer weather certainly isn't helping.
We did fly to Vegas in June, Oct & Mar--we were diligent about masks & hand washing as well as social distancing as much as possible. We spent lots of time outdoors (including most meals), rented cars. In June & Oct. middle seats were not being used (which is awesome)--but even in March 1 flight wasn't full & we managed to sit in back so no one in the middle seat.

Even my 76YO DM went with us in Oct. Glad she did--she was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in Feb. She has just begun chemo & immunotherapy so we are praying daily. We know 3 people who are on Keytruda (the immunotherapy) & the results are astounding. Praying she is as lucky. But she said she wants to go to Vegas again--so we booked it for the end of May. She will have had 2 rounds of chemo so everything is day to day regarding how she feels & her white count. Her 1st round was yesterday & she was surprised she felt fine. Again, one day at a time. (she inquired about traveling to her oncologist; doc said fine if she is up to it & her white count is fine. DD is walking TCU graduation in 2 weeks so that is our 1st goal)

I like my KF94 masks so much that I plan to make them a permanent part of my life. Going forward I plan to wear them forever to crowded indoor events (especially during flu season)even if there is no Covid concern. I had the flu three years ago and it was AWFUL, sick for over a month, and DH lost his hearing and it has never been right since. I have really liked not having any flu, cold, stomach virus, etc this past year.

Read that the mask mandate will expire on May 11.

Flight attendants are asking for it to be extended.

So what happens if a US-vaccinated tourist plans to travel to the EU or anywhere, for that matter, if his/her vaccination occurred early on and may "expire" around the time of their trip plans? My second dose Moderna was 2/16/21, and my husband's second dose Moderna was 3/22/21.

So what happens if a US-vaccinated tourist plans to travel to the EU or anywhere, for that matter, if his/her vaccination occurred early on and may "expire" around the time of their trip plans? My second dose Moderna was 2/16/21, and my husband's second dose Moderna was 3/22/21.
Not worried at all. I don’t imagine it’s a problem for this year.

For 2022 on, we don’t know the answers yet. Boosters, if needed, should be readily available.

Very good news. Hope they get it clarified quickly.

I hope so also but realistically they have to get control of the pandemic and open up restaurants and activities. My FIL and MIL are anxious for us to return to Switzerland. Last year was the first year during the past 28 years that they did not see their daughter (my wife). I believe the UK will probably open up first. Also if they mandate vaccinations for travel, I'm sure the anti-vaxxer crowd will complain. As for EU countries, Greece and Portugal look like the best bests to open. We are not booking anything until the pandemic stabilizes in the EU. It took me 4 months and a lot of effort last year to get my $4978 for two return tickets to Switzerland refunded. We are scheduled to fly to Florida in May and those flights have been changed by the airline already two times since booking.

The expiration date refers to how long doctors have to get the shot in your arm before it goes bad- not how long you are protected from the coronavirus. In other words, from the time the vaccine is created and bottled up, the shot needs to go into an arm before the EXP date on the card.

It's an unknown how long the vaccine will protect a person from the coronavirus.

I hope so also but realistically they have to get control of the pandemic and open up restaurants and activities. My FIL and MIL are anxious for us to return to Switzerland. Last year was the first year during the past 28 years that they did not see their daughter (my wife). I believe the UK will probably open up first. Also if they mandate vaccinations for travel, I'm sure the anti-vaxxer crowd will complain. As for EU countries, Greece and Portugal look like the best bests to open. We are not booking anything until the pandemic stabilizes in the EU. It took me 4 months and a lot of effort last year to get my $4978 for two return tickets to Switzerland refunded. We are scheduled to fly to Florida in May and those flights have been changed by the airline already two times since booking.

Our flights to Las Vegas in May have also been changed twice already. We will be OK since it is a direct flight.

Our flights to Las Vegas in May have also been changed twice already. We will be OK since it is a direct flight.

We have direct flights also but when they change flights to and put you on one that leave two hours later and cancel the flight you were booked on originally it starts to impact ground transportation arrangements.

I just got one of those situations. Coming back home from Alaska in June, Delta canceled our afternoon flight from Seattle and changed it to an early morning flight. But we won't get into Seattle on Alaska Air until nearly noon, so that won't work. Had to change the Delta leg back to afternoon, but that wasn't hard. When looking for possibilities, I saw quite a number of flights that had been canceled for that day, so obviously the airlines are still scrambling.

I think a lot of people are sticking closer to home. Hard to find cabins for rent in the Mendocino -> Arcadia coast. Might just staycation for 1 trip

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable going to Europe this year, still hoping for Australia December 2021

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom