Travel hopes 2021

I am so sad.....canceling our August trip to London today. Maybe next year.....Now we are considering Oregon and Washington State. Not a horrible tradeoff....

The difficulty in knowing what the rules will be in a month or two, helped me decide to pass on any multi-country long distance trip until next year.

It's about as bad as weather forecasting. Stay tune for the change to the change to the change. All I know is that there is NO WAY I would book/pay for anything travel related without knowing that I could get my money back.

I’m kinda the opposite. Haven’t decided for sure yet. But I think we’re just gonna go for it on our late July trip.
I know I’m ready. I know these countries people are ready. Even if the governments are slow to realize it.
We’re in the final countdown. 10, 9, 8, 7…….

We have tickets for Amsterdam the first of August and follow ( The Dutch News ) in English .
They have found out because of computer problems that 1.8 million. People who have received the jab have not been documented because of IT problems . There are also lots of people who received the shots from family doctors who did not get recorded . They are in a scramble because European holiday time begins in July . But assured everyone by July 1 they will be in control .......everyone has problems .

Interesting!

My Amsterdam family tells me that they are extending the time between jabs for the two dose vaccines in NL.

Dutch news is saying there are only 573 in hospitals in the Netherlands and hospitals are returning to normal. Fingers crossed for early August. 13 million have been fully vaccinated .
I am being positive I think it is looking good.

We will decide on a mid Sept trip to Greece in late Aug/early Sept.

Do not see much point in worrying about it or planning until such time as we are at the date and can determine what the situation is. We tend to be very spontaneous travelers so it is not an issue. We have a plan B and a plan C just in case.

We just flew back from FLL to LAX Monday night. Food service was still a boxed meal but they offered beer, wine, spirits, and soft drinks throughout the flight in our cabin. The guy behind us was coughing profusely throughout the flight and we couldn't understand why he was allowed to board. He kept his mask on though. A woman sitting in the same row across the aisle was taking off her mask and the flight attendants kept warning her. She got into a loud verbal exchange with two flight attendants after we landed at LAX. I guess she won't be flying on American anytime soon. I can only imagine what a 12-14 hour flight with unruly passengers would be like.

We just flew back from FLL to LAX Monday night. Food service was still a boxed meal but they offered beer, wine, spirits, and soft drinks throughout the flight in our cabin. The guy behind us was coughing profusely throughout the flight and we couldn't understand why he was allowed to board. He kept his mask on though. A woman sitting in the same row across the aisle was taking off her mask and the flight attendants kept warning her. She got into a loud verbal exchange with two flight attendants after we landed at LAX. I guess she won't be flying on American anytime soon. I can only imagine what a 12-14 hour flight with unruly passengers would be like.

You know...there are a LOT of ailments that cause coughing, not just COVID. :blush: I tend to cough a lot on longer flights, mostly because of the incredibly dry cabin air.

You know...there are a LOT of ailments that cause coughing, not just COVID. :blush: I tend to cough a lot on longer flights, mostly because of the incredibly dry cabin air.

Have you noticed that people start to flee when you cough in public?

Last edited:
France just put USA on their Green list. That means from last week where only vaccinated American tourist with negative tests could visit, now vaccinated Americans don’t need a test and unvaccinated can visit with negative test.

Germany and Switzerland said to be opening up before end of month.

Last edited:
France just put Us on Rene list. That means from last week where only vaccinated American tourist with negative tests could visit, now vaccinated Americans don’t need a test and unvaccinated can visit with negative test.

Hmmmm. "Rene" sounds pretty good compared to what they called Americans last time I was there, ca. 1964. And there wasn't even something "going around" like Covid. I just figured maybe they had short memories.

Still, I enjoyed the food and fabulous architecture. Too bad about Notre Dame - it was truly amazing. I hope they can restore it to its previous grandeur.

I had hoped maybe I could take DW to the Continent one day, but I think the time has passed us by. Just doing the slog to the mainland is quite the effort - but I'll blame that on Covid and the isolated and sedentary lifestyle we've been exiled to of late. Couldn't be that we're pushing 75 so YMMV.

I'm another waiting for the final EU decisions to be made. I have our last years canceled trip rescheduled for mid September to both Switzerland and Italy. My big issue is what they plan to do regarding having people get a negative covid test before entering the county.

I have no problem getting tested 72 hours before flying to Switzerland from home but what happens when I need to take the train to Italy? Finding another test while in some smaller village in Switzerland won't be easy. I'm hoping one test is all they will require for travel between EU countries.

At this point I half wish I had kept our trip to one country only. Would be much easier I'm guessing.

We are leaving early tomorrow for our many times cancelled dive trip to Bonaire. This is our 4th attempt in the past year and everything has finally fallen into place. It will be three weeks of diving and catching up with friends. Took a NAAT/PCR Covid test Wednesday with results received about midnight the same day and took a NAAT Covid rapid test today (Abbott Lab's ID Now) with results emailed back to us in under 30 minutes. That one allows us to bypass testing upon arrival in Bonaire. We are fully vaccinated but it doesn't mean much for our destination. We will still need to test prior to returning to the U.S. but the resort will make all those arrangements for us. It has been a long drought and we are just so happy to be on the road again.

I'm another waiting for the final EU decisions to be made. I have our last years canceled trip rescheduled for mid September to both Switzerland and Italy. My big issue is what they plan to do regarding having people get a negative covid test before entering the county.

I have no problem getting tested 72 hours before flying to Switzerland from home but what happens when I need to take the train to Italy? Finding another test while in some smaller village in Switzerland won't be easy. I'm hoping one test is all they will require for travel between EU countries.

At this point I half wish I had kept our trip to one country only. Would be much easier I'm guessing.

We're expected to get news on Switzerland this upcoming week. June 23 they make some decision.

There are also reports that Italy will also open up. May hear from them as well this week.

My SIL (in Switzerland) said that Switzerland will open to vaccinated visitors from the U.S. starting the 28th of June. It was reported on the news over there this evening. It will be announced on the 23rd of June. However, the mask mandate remains in effect for all public transportation (planes, trains, trams, buses). My wife wants to wait until next spring to go. She doesn't want to pay for business class and wear a mask for 12-14 hours and eat a boxed meal with dry sandwiches.

My SIL (in Switzerland) said that Switzerland will open to vaccinated visitors from the U.S. starting the 28th of June. It was reported on the news over there this evening. It will be announced on the 23rd of June. However, the mask mandate remains in effect for all public transportation (planes, trains, trams, buses). My wife wants to wait until next spring to go. She doesn't want to pay for business class and wear a mask for 12-14 hours and eat a boxed meal with dry sandwiches.

Well I'll find out what meals are like on Monday, flying Lufthansa business class to Frankfurt.

I'll wear the masks, on the plane, on the ground, wherever it's required.

No guarantee next spring or summer will be different.

Because these European countries have an "emergency brake" mechanism to shut down travel if there's another wave.

Well I'll find out what meals are like on Monday, flying Lufthansa business class to Frankfurt.

I'll wear the masks, on the plane, on the ground, wherever it's required.

No guarantee next spring or summer will be different.

Because these European countries have an "emergency brake" mechanism to shut down travel if there's another wave.

You might do better with Lufthansa than we did with American Airlines. They use to serve hot meals on transcontinental flights in business/first class but the last two trips (October 2020, May-June 2021) it's been boxed meals and packaged snacks.

Well, I’ve checked and France, Switzerland, Italy, and Germany all are now open to Americans with proof of vaccination. Austria still isn’t, but I suspect that’ll change any moment. No negative tests or quarantine required.

So, I’m making final payments and moving forward with my July trip. Boy, it came down to the wire, but sanity prevailed. I’m very excited.

Well, I’ve checked and France, Switzerland, Italy, and Germany all are now open to Americans with proof of vaccination. Austria still isn’t, but I suspect that’ll change any moment. No negative tests or quarantine required.

Although I'm sure there'll all reopening soon, I'd love to see a link to that info. I just read this morning that Switzerland is coming out with their final announcement on June 23rd. So many various Europe reopening comments I really don't know what to believe.

Also, will the US require us to have a negative covid test in order to return to the US? That's another one of my concern's, last thing I want to do is run around Italy someplace trying to find a test. Still keeping my fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom