Travel right now: FAIR WARNING!

I can vouch for this. I have a pair with me that I haven’t worn yet, even though there was a day or two where it was cold enough.

Instead, I stick with shorts or light-weight travel pants. The latter are great, especially for flights, etc.

In general, any clothing that dries quickly is preferable. I find that most of my clothes dry overnight.

I bring lightweight warm underwear like the 32 Degree stuff from Costco. If I run into colder weather, these garments under my lighter clothes do a good job of keeping me warm assuming I am not visiting Frozen Nose, Alaska. If the day warms up, I can pay a visit to the men's room, remove the items, and they easily stuff into my daypack or even the pockets in cargo shorts.

One thing Rick Steve says and it’s good advice is don’t bring jeans in the summer. Too hot. Plus takes longer to wash and dry.
I generally appreciate a lot of his insight BUT I only own jeans, either as 4 blue jeans, 8 color jeans (4 summer colors / 4 winter colors), and 2 cutoffs. That's what I was raised on. Heck I even have 2 jean skirts. If it gets hot I just wear sandals. If really hot, I make more cutoffs

Really hot over there right now so will figure out how to add a jean skirt. Would rather not cutoff jeans for just a few days although I've done that before.

Sticking to cotton so it won't stick to me if hot.

Last edited:
One suggestion is wool or wool blend clothing because they don’t get as smelly as fast as cotton.

One suggestion is wool or wool blend clothing because they don’t get as smelly as fast as cotton.

Nylon clothing! I don’t travel anywhere where I can wear wool. I don’t wear jeans either - too hot at home except for a very few cold days.

"... And of course you don't see the undergarments I am having on right now". :cool:

I read about discarding old clothes on trips and bringing new ones back, but have yet to practice it.

First of all, I am not a shopper. Secondly, for me it would mean bringing shirts with holes and paint stains, and bringing back new shirts. :LOL:

Yeah, I always worry about being hauled to he hospital wearing my religious (holy) underwear.

Regarding replacing clothing in Paris or elsewhere in Europe: Do they have resale shops there?? :facepalm:

I've know a few people, mostly ladies, who will bring some well used clothing to an overseas trip. Then they wear and replace one item here and another item there until they have a a very fashionable collection of souvenirs.

Imagine going to party and being complemented on your style. "Well, I got the top in Paris, the shoes in Rome and the skirt from a bazaar in Bozkir, Turkey."
'
probably won't bring back that well worn denim skirt & sandals. Will need that suitcase space for bringing gifts back

I had a flight scheduled in September, internal within the UK, and BA just cancelled it. Tried to contact them to reschedule, but their phone lines are swamped and said to try again next week.

After nearly a week, I finally was granted the privilege of being placed on hold today.

Only 38 minutes later a person answered the phone and I was able to cancel the entire booking. I'm feeling really sympathetic to airline reservation agents these days.

Very disappointed about having to postpone my UK trip again, but it will still be there next year.

I will admit that I have not read most of the 382 posts in this thread, but I agree with Sojourner's initial posting. Our last few trips (several via airline from May though a couple of weeks ago) were fraught with issues. I could spend 1,000,000 characters expounding on it, but I will only say that I WILL NOT travel by air until 2023 at the very least.

We are VERY fortunate to be very flexible in our travel, but it is very exasperating to try and travel "on the fly" when you have to deal with so many variables. I have quite a few airline pilots friends and they don't see any relief in sight...especially with so many union/employment contracts that are in the negotiation phase and it will be like that for quite a while in their opinions. As my Dad used to say (a former Eastern Airlines pilot), "If you have time to spare, go by air."

My wanderlust has been quashed.

As my Dad used to say (a former Eastern Airlines pilot), "If you have time to spare, go by air."

I'd only heard that expression used in connection with private aviation, usually in conjunction with either weather or something breaking that needs unobtainium to fix. So now it's true of commercial as well. Consider my bubble busted.

I'd only heard that expression used in connection with private aviation, usually in conjunction with either weather or something breaking that needs unobtainium to fix. So now it's true of commercial as well. Consider my bubble busted.

Well, commercial aviation has come a VERY long way since the day he flew so the adage was true back then. Until recently, commercial flying was a great was to travel. This was the last large airplane he flew:

Attachments

• EAL.jpg
    EAL.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 41
After nearly a week, I finally was granted the privilege of being placed on hold today.

Only 38 minutes later a person answered the phone and I was able to cancel the entire booking. I'm feeling really sympathetic to airline reservation agents these days.

Very disappointed about having to postpone my UK trip again, but it will still be there next year.

Did they refund or just give you credit to use in the future?

So far I’ve been lucky as have my friends. No big airline issues. Still, it’s not as comfortable feeling as it should be.

Last edited:
This summer on our Western trip we had to do laundry 3 times, but at 2 of the laundamats they had a lady on duty and we could have left it for her to do and picked it up later. We were talking about that later with another couple and they said they did that a lot. They google where the think they would need the service for laundamats and then clla to make sure. Then when the arrive they drop off and pick back up later in day or next day. It might work on your Yellowstone trip as well, Ronstar.

Last edited:
Confused. If driving then why wouldn't someone taking enough clothes to avoid laundromats?

If you are on a driving trip that will last several weeks or a month you will need to do laundry at some point.

If you are on a driving trip that will last several weeks or a month you will need to do laundry at some point.

Very true. On our 32 day cruise, we took a little more than a week's worth of clothes because we got free laundry on the ship:D

Very true. On our 32 day cruise, we took a little more than a week's worth of clothes because we got free laundry on the ship:D

This is our practice. We pack for 6 or 7 days no matter how long we are gone for . Seven days or seven weeks.

When we took the car or motor home we took enough clothes for a month and never did laundry. If I fly I take enough for 2 weeks. The last thing I wanted to do was laundry on vacation:)).

When we took the car or motor home we took enough clothes for a month and never did laundry. If I fly I take enough for 2 weeks. The last thing I wanted to do was laundry on vacation:)).

I don't even own enough clothes to go 30 days without doing laundry! I think I own 10 pairs of underwear and about the same number of socks.

This is our practice. We pack for 6 or 7 days no matter how long we are gone for . Seven days or seven weeks.

Same here. We're going on an 11 day road trip in an F-150 with a covered lockable bed. We could easily bring all of our clothes, but we're going with 6 days worth, then laundry at a hotel, then make it home before we need to do laundry again.

But road trips in my truck allow me to bring multiple backpacks, multiple pairs of hiking shoes, more camera gear and other stuff that would be next to impossible to bring on a plane.

I don't even own enough clothes to go 30 days without doing laundry! I think I own 10 pairs of underwear and about the same number of socks.

Women have an advantage. They can wear men's shirts, men's jeans, men's socks, men's hats, etc. etc. etc. Therefore their male companions might come up short, but the gals have no problem. Honey where's my Lone Possum State Park t-shirt. I'm using it for my nighty dear. Oh! :(

I will admit that I have not read most of the 382 posts in this thread, but I agree with Sojourner's initial posting. Our last few trips (several via airline from May though a couple of weeks ago) were fraught with issues. I could spend 1,000,000 characters expounding on it, but I will only say that I WILL NOT travel by air until 2023 at the very least.

We are VERY fortunate to be very flexible in our travel, but it is very exasperating to try and travel "on the fly" when you have to deal with so many variables. I have quite a few airline pilots friends and they don't see any relief in sight...especially with so many union/employment contracts that are in the negotiation phase and it will be like that for quite a while in their opinions. As my Dad used to say (a former Eastern Airlines pilot), "If you have time to spare, go by air."

My wanderlust has been quashed.

Wish I could drive home to the Islands.:(

Back when we actually traveled (you know, using hotels and rental cars) I would use that time to ditch my old underwear as I used it and buy new.

On long car trips, the bigger hotels have facilities.

Back
Top Bottom