Travel right now: FAIR WARNING!

Women have an advantage. They can wear men's shirts, men's jeans, men's socks, men's hats, etc. etc. etc. Therefore their male companions might come up short, but the gals have no problem. Honey where's my Lone Possum State Park t-shirt. I'm using it for my nighty dear. Oh! :(

Not so much, I’m 5’2” and DH is 6’. I can wear his baseball caps but definitely not his pants, socks, or shorts. Maybe a shirt of his would work as a dress for me. [emoji23]

I don't even own enough clothes to go 30 days without doing laundry! I think I own 10 pairs of underwear and about the same number of socks.

I definitely have 30 days of T-shirts- got them from corporate and athletic events over many years- but I'm not going to take that many with me. My plan on my upcoming trip is to do carry-on, which will be a challenge for 26 days even though it's warm weather, hand-wash the items that dry quickly and use the laundry facilities or services in a couple of the major cities for socks, T-shirts and heavier items.

I figure I've hedged my bets as best as I can- vaccinated, double-boosted, tour group (limited to 14) REQUIRES proof of vaccination, a stash of N95 masks, overnights in London both ways, COVID tests with me, arriving at initial city a day early, insurance covering quarantine costs, and duplicate flight arrangements back to London from Ljublana. I'd originally booked Air France through Paris arriving in London around 9 PM. I shelled out another $500 for a BA nonstop that leaves the day before (wasn't available the day I wanted)- I'll miss a bit of Ljublana but will take it if the airlines and airports are still messed up. And yes, I have the earlier night in London booked, too.

Crazy times but the more I read about the area and its convoluted history ("Balkan Ghosts", "Black Lamb, Grey Falcon"), the more excited I am about visiting.

And you can't get there on a road trip.:D

Women have an advantage. They can wear men's ...jeans,([/I]

Srsly? I have yet to be close enough to a man that he'd let me wear his clothes, and who also wore jeans small enough that they wouldn't fall off me. That would be a skinny guy.

Mr. A. was 6 feet 2.5" - 7 inches taller than me, and it was all leg. His 36/34 jeans would make me look like a little kid wearing dad's clothes.

His T-shirts would make nighties - if I wore a nightie.

With size 13 feet, his socks are so long on me that the heel comes up over my ankle.

I only wish I could wear his beautiful shirts.

Not so much, I’m 5’2” and DH is 6’. I can wear his baseball caps but definitely not his pants, socks, or shorts. Maybe a shirt of his would work as a dress for me. [emoji23]

I am the rare woman that can wear her husband's clothes. They are a little big for me but in a pinch I have worn them. But I am an unusual size--DH and I are both about 6 feet tall, but he is about 25 pounds heavier.

Women have an advantage. They can wear men's shirts, men's jeans, men's socks, men's hats, etc. etc. etc. Therefore their male companions might come up short, but the gals have no problem. Honey where's my Lone Possum State Park t-shirt. I'm using it for my nighty dear. Oh! :(

I love my DW, but no way is she wearing my clothes :LOL:. I might be "gallant" and lend her my sweater or jacket if she is chilly, but that is about it.

One word....kilts!! Share & share alike

ON a recent trip, I stayed in vacation rentals which had at least washers.

So I did laundry a few times, like 3 or 4 days apart.

Just as well, the days were hot so being outside for a few hours resulted in clothes which needed laundering.

Clean clothes are easier to roll up and pack than dirty laundry so it was good for changing bases once or twice a week.

We find out how well a business is run when things go wrong. The good ones work to limit the damage to their themselves and their customers -Win/Win. The poor ones are at best Win/Lose, and some are so bad it's Lose/Lose.

This is the second time in the last two years when parts of the travel industry have had to put up with a tough situation. Apparently, and sadly for TT, some of the Win/Lose outfits still need to be wrung out of the system.

20+ years ago I knew a pilot who flew for America West. He said the CEO routinely stated unapologetically that "Americans breed faster than we can tick them off." When your problem is too many customers It is difficult to even recognize there is a problem or to do anything to improve.

It is not just in travel. Almost every company is short-handed right now and that is leading to service and quality suffereing. It makes me want to become part of the problem and retire a little earlier than planned.

I find that the laundromat isn’t that bad. I try to find one that is in a location with cafes, etc, around, so I can hang-out while the laundry is getting done. Gives me a chance to catch-up on e-mails, planning, reading, etc.

I can confirm that even the Champs Elysee in Paris has a convenient laundromat just around the corner! There are certain needs all humans share.

We have been doing extended trips for years. Independent travel with cruises mixed in. Europe every year for up to two months. SE Asia/Australia for 8-9 weeks. Plus trips to Central and South America, and Africa.

My pension provided out of country medical/evac covers us for 60 day day out our country with no limit on the number of trips each year. Any longer and we buy extra insurance.

We both travel with carry on only. On international size carry on roller. We have never had a challenge finding a way to have our clothes cleaned-anywhere. Laudromats, washing services, etc. They are there if you look for them. On our last trip our Palermo B&B host said there we no laundromats near by. Did a google and found a wash and fold place less than 1 KM away. Owned by a guy from Boston!

We have been doing extended trips for years. Independent travel with cruises mixed in. Europe every year for up to two months. SE Asia/Australia for 8-9 weeks. Plus trips to Central and South America, and Africa.

My pension provided out of country medical/evac covers us for 60 day day out our country with no limit on the number of trips each year. Any longer and we buy extra insurance.

We both travel with carry on only. On international size carry on roller. We have never had a challenge finding a way to have our clothes cleaned-anywhere. Laudromats, washing services, etc. They are there if you look for them. On our last trip our Palermo B&B host said there we no laundromats near by. Did a google and found a wash and fold place less than 1 KM away. Owned by a guy from Boston!

When you travel as much as you do, I'm guessing there are very few things you can't figure out how to do while traveling.

When you travel as much as you do, I'm guessing there are very few things you can't figure out how to do while traveling.

The more you do it, the easier it gets. Just be flexible and have fun. To be cliche, it’s not the destination, it’s the journey.

I’ve done eight weeks so far this year and have two more coming up in August. Maybe someday it’ll get old, but hasn’t happened yet.

My 2 cents for travel this month.
DD flew from DAL to OMA 2 on the 8th. Her 1st leg was delayed so much she wasn't going to make her connection. Gate agents were great, got her on another that got her to OMA just 20 min. after her original arrival time. Luggage not so lucky. Thank goodness she did get her luggage the next day.

DH & I flew OMA to FLL for cruise 7/8. No issues.
Did book AM flight with long layover & multiple flights to FLL later in day.
DH flew home 7/16 no issues.
I flew home yesterday no issues.
SWA planes were mostly to fully full.

Unfortunately I noticed cold symptoms while on my first flight. Nothing much, some sniffles, a little drainage. I take a daily allergy pill so I thought perhaps since I had not taken it that was all. Luckily I mask when flying.

DF has cancer so figured I should take a COVID test just to be sure before seeing him.

YEP. COVID.
I had it in January & was in bed for 5 days with insidious headache, brain fog & exhaustion.
Right now I feel like I have a mild cold--tho I do have the brain fog.
In "normal" times I would have gone to work feeling this way.
I am set to cruise again 3 weeks from yesterday, so hopefully no issues.
I know folks who tested negative in 5 days, others 2 weeks.

It's the risk we take right now.
Fully vaxxed & boosted so not too worried.

When asked, our advice to others who travel is fairly simple.

Go with the flow...don't sweat the small stuff. Things happen, figure it out and move forward. It is not all about you so leave any sense of entitlement at home.

Don't fool yourself by thinking that you can 'dress like the locals' to 'blend' in. You can't.

If you expect everywhere to be the same as home...food, customs,etc. then you should really stay home or travel within your own environment. Just because it is different does not mean that it is not as good as home. Sometimes it is much better.

Never assume that the laws in your country are the same, or should be the same, as the laws and regs in a foreign country in which you are simply a guest.

Last edited:

Go with the flow...don't sweat the small stuff. Things happen, figure it out and move forward. It is not all about you so leave any sense of entitlement at home.

Don't fool yourself by thinking that you can 'dress like the locals' to 'blend' in. You can't.

If you expect everywhere to be the same as home...food, customs,etc. then you should really stay home or travel within your own environment. Just because it is different does not mean that it is not as good as home. Sometimes it is much better.

Never assume that the laws in your country are the same, or should be the same, as the laws and regs in a foreign country in which you are simply a guest.
Great advice, thanks!

Really hot over there right now so will figure out how to add a jean skirt. Would rather not cutoff jeans for just a few days although I've done that before.

The authorities will now allow me to wear a jean skirt or any type of skirt. Something about my knees and legs being considered an act of terrorism. :(

So this weekends up 21 hours delays at the eurotunnel which got progressively worse , is that small stuff or big stuff:dance:....... I guess on a busy summer weekend the French has less then half of the entry points opened for business.

Flew home from Heathrow. Lots of people, security took a solid hour to get through, but otherwise no major issues. Plane was full and arrived back a bit early.

So this weekends up 21 hours delays at the eurotunnel which got progressively worse , is that small stuff or big stuff:dance:....... I guess on a busy summer weekend the French has less then half of the entry points opened for business.

For us it would be small stuff. Even if we had planned to go we would have simply stayed in the UK and gone a few days later after the crush. The thing is we would have the awareness and done the research to understand what can occur on UK holiday periods in airports, borders, etc. Nor would be be driving. Train. Or gone to the continent via the Dover/Ostend route which we have done before.

We had ferry tickets from Ancona to Split. As it happens there was actually no ferry that day for whatever reason. Simply changed our plans and delayed going to Croatia for a day.

Our trips are typically extended trips. We tend not to travel on days or holidays that we know to be busy. As an example, if we go to Thailand in the winter we pay attention to the Lunar New Year week. We ensure that we have accommodation and we avoid public transport on some routes that we know to be popular.

We were in the Philippines on one trip at It was a zoo on the island where were were. Neither of us liked it compared to Thailand or Vietnam. We cut our two week trip short and flew to Thailand. Re arranged our flights. That is one reason why have become spontaneous travelers. Why stay someone for an extra week or 10 days if we are not having an enjoyable time

We are thinking of going to Greece/Cyprus in the fall. We would typically fly via London or Paris. These airports are great for Europe flights and we never know where we will end up. This time we will probably fly directly to and from Athens.....if the airport mess in London is not resolved by that time. We will not buy mid Sept. flights until the end of August. If things have improved we will go through London. If not....direct or some other gateway. We have to change planes once. We can do it NA or in Europe

Last edited:
My summer travel has been a 3 hour car trip to my cabin in the mountains of NC. A great trip, I am here most of the summer. Wonderful weather (highs in the 70s), great hiking and golf, nice restaurants with outside seating, good friends, meeting new people, great music in outside venues, scenery on Blue Ridge Parkway. No hassles with flying and lost luggage. Close enough to our primary residence that if we get sick we can easily get home. Friends and family come to visit. And this year nothing is crowded. Ideal.

Heathrow supposedly has 15k job openings.

Some large European airports or airlines apparently offered early retirement to a lot of their employees during the pandemic, with the condition that if they took the deal they could never come back and apply for those jobs again.

The other issue is that firms with airport employees who have access to restricted areas do not simply get hired and start the next day.

They typically go through a security check. That can take time. Not to mention the safety training that certain occupations need to go through after a security check and prior to starting working shifts.

Brett, I am curious do you buy open airline tickets so you can change your flights at the last minute and are they expensive?

We paid a premium on going and on the return flight (different airlines, separate ticketing )coming home. Both included extras that we did not want/need such as checked baggage and some priority this or that. Usual bundling.

The draw for us was better seating and the cancel option. As I recall it was up to 24 hours on one. I believe the return was less.

The premium....40 percent on one, 35 percent on another. Reasonable considering the much better seating options.

In order to board the outbound flight we were required to show proof of vaccination and a negative antigen test within 24 hours of boarding the aircraft.

This caused us to spend an extra day at the departure city for this flight.

Just to be safe we both did self tests 48 hours prior to leaving home. And 24 hours before our return flight.

DW is a retired health professional. That means I follow the rules and the recommendations of our health authority or I face the instant wrath of she who must be obeyed. Besides...it is the right thing to do.

IF we go to Greece in the Sept/Oct we will do the same.

We are sitting with a credit on a domestic flight to a wedding that we canceled because of covid. We have another year to use it so we should be OK

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom