Travel right now: FAIR WARNING!

I will never check a bag again!!

I returned July 3 from a 16 day trip to Europe, arriving at London's Heathrow and departing from Amsterdam's Schiphol. No problems departing U.S. or arriving at Heathrow despite large crowds. Big crowds pretty much everywhere, but not big enough to take the pleasure out of anything we did.

We arrived at Schiphol for our departing flight and were completely taken aback by the utter chaos we walked into! The biggest debacle was the delay in checking luggage. The lines were 4-5 hours long, and that was before the security line.

THANKFULLY we only had carry-on bags and small backpacks. We checked in the night before and downloaded our boarding passes, or we may have missed our flight even without having to check a bag. In fact, 30 people actually did miss our flight back to the U.S., which left right on time.

If you have plans to travel internationally I would advise you to get to the airport AT LEAST 4 hours early, DO NOT CHECK A BAG, and set a reminder to check in for your flight 24 hours before scheduled departure and download your boarding pass so you can go right to the security line.

Attachments

• Carry on.jpg
    Carry on.jpg
    702.5 KB · Views: 48
We seriously enjoy the high speed European trains, particularly TGV and Thalys.

Instead of taking a plane from Bordeaux to Paris and then US, we opted for the high speed train the Charles DeGaulle airport and a good overnight rest.

+1 for European trains. We were way up in the Bernese Alps and had to get to Monte Carlo.
I set it up to have half hour between trains and First Class because of our luggage. (We were going on a 14 day river cruise).
We left at 8:30 AM and were in our hotel at 8:30 PM with absolutely no stress. We felt sorry for the other passengers who just flew in from the States.
FYI here is our route, mostly on Swissrail
Wengen to Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken
Interlaken to Basel
Basel to Geneva
Geneva to Nice (TGV)
Nice to Monte Carlo.
For those planning to take a train to Monte Carlo, The station is at the bottom of the mountain. It takes 2 elevators an an escalator to get up to the taxi rank!

We arrived at Schiphol for our departing flight and were completely taken aback by the utter chaos we walked into! The biggest debacle was the delay in checking luggage. The lines were 4-5 hours long, and that was before the security line.

If you have plans to travel internationally I would advise you to get to the airport AT LEAST 4 hours early, DO NOT CHECK A BAG, and set a reminder to check in for your flight 24 hours before scheduled departure and download your boarding pass so you can go right to the security line.
Schiphol was scary, overbooked, and chaotic enough pre-pandemic!

This just sounds insane.

I returned July 3 from a 16 day trip to Europe, arriving at London's Heathrow and departing from Amsterdam's Schiphol. No problems departing U.S. or arriving at Heathrow despite large crowds. Big crowds pretty much everywhere, but not big enough to take the pleasure out of anything we did.

THANKFULLY we only had carry-on bags and small backpacks. We checked in the night before and downloaded our boarding passes, or we may have missed our flight even without having to check a bag. In fact, 30 people actually did miss our flight back to the U.S., which left right on time.

Well you probably didn't know this would happen pre trip but I have to ask why anybody reading this would think booking an overseas trip would be a good idea!

Well you probably didn't know this would happen pre trip but I have to ask why anybody reading this would think booking an overseas trip would be a good idea!

Friends currently in Europe are having a great time. And the Euro has fallen a good bit compared to the dollar so things are cheaper. They are visiting places and having experiences that they have longed for. I guess that's why they booked the trip. I suppose they could find things messed up on their return to the USA, but I seriously doubt they would regret the trip because of that.

So I'm thinking about speeding things up at Heathrow by only taking a carryon & purse (think sm beach bag). Packing 2 jeans, 5 tops, 1 dress, 2 wraps, 1 sweater, underwear in carryon; 2 pr shoes, bose headphones, toiletries, regular purse in over-sized purse

Anyone else concerned about lost luggage?? I know that they'll cover up to 3k if it's lost over 21 days but by then I'll be home & won't care. It's those 20 days I'm concerned about

As long as you are not traveling for business (thus, needing business attire) I wouldn't worry too much about lost luggage. Suitable clothes can be bought just about anywhere as long a you have some time. YMMV

As long as you are not traveling for business (thus, needing business attire) I wouldn't worry too much about lost luggage. Suitable clothes can be bought just about anywhere as long a you have some time. YMMV

I've know a few people, mostly ladies, who will bring some well used clothing to an overseas trip. Then they wear and replace one item here and another item there until they have a a very fashionable collection of souvenirs.

Imagine going to party and being complemented on your style. "Well, I got the top in Paris, the shoes in Rome and the skirt from a bazaar in Bozkir, Turkey."
'

Last edited:
I've know a few people, mostly ladies, who will bring some well used clothing to an overseas trip. Then then wear and replace one item here and another item there until they have a a very fashionable collection of souvenirs.

Imagine going to party and being complemented on your style. "Well, I got the top in Paris, the shoes in Rome and the skirt from a bazaar in Bozkir, Turkey."
'

"... And of course you don't see the undergarments I am having on right now". :cool:

I read about discarding old clothes on trips and bringing new ones back, but have yet to practice it.

First of all, I am not a shopper. Secondly, for me it would mean bringing shirts with holes and paint stains, and bringing back new shirts. :LOL:

Chuckanut

My comment didn't mean you shouldn't travel BOTOH my thinking I'd wait until things get better might be naive ...maybe these conditions are the new normal. Let's hope not..

I've know a few people, mostly ladies, who will bring some well used clothing to an overseas trip. Then then wear and replace one item here and another item there until they have a a very fashionable collection of souvenirs.

'

"... And of course you don't see the undergarments I am having on right now". :cool:

I read about discarding old clothes on trips and bringing new ones back, but have yet to practice it.

First of all, I am not a shopper. Secondly, for me it would mean bringing shirts with holes and paint stains, and bringing back new shirts. :LOL:

Clothes shopping while on an overseas trip seems like a waste of time. IMO, it would be best to buy new clothes at home before the trip and spend as much time as possible during the trip on attractions.

That said, DW had to visit Harrod's while in London. We spent several hours there that could have been spent doing something else.

Last edited:

1. I'm tired of waiting.
2. I'm not getting any younger.
3. I've never regretted making a trip- even the ones when things went wrong.
4. I might get lucky. :D

THANKFULLY we only had carry-on bags and small backpacks. ..., DO NOT CHECK A BAG, and set a reminder to check in for your flight 24 hours before scheduled departure and download your boarding pass so you can go right to the security line.View attachment 42951
Everything I'm taking (with Rick Steves list) fits in these. Decided against bringing formal wear which means 1 less pair of shoes too. Honestly, I'd only wear it for 2 hrs 3 times. Not worth it. Bringing semi-formal wearing regular shoes (cruising). As to clothes shopping abroad, never have never will. I like to take them home, mull it over, and usually return 1/2. I usually just buy mundane things: coasters, trivets, wine, beer steins

Everyone talks about issues at LHR. No one talks about problems at all the other airports but I now know its everywhere. 20220715_170855.jpg

Last edited:
1. I'm tired of waiting.

That's the Spirt :flowers:

I booked my tour 8 months in advance so had no idea that it would be such a crazy time to travel to Europe and none of us are getting younger:)).

I booked my tour 8 months in advance so had no idea that it would be such a crazy time to travel to Europe and none of us are getting younger:)).

If I wait 2 years to travel that could be 3 trips I'll miss ouut on. I'll deal with whatever comes up. It'll make a good story & laugh sometime in the future.

I'm still trying to get back to Paris. 2020....Covid 2021 France closed the border to England one day before we were to depart from London. 2022....booked a flight on SAS to Paris. A few weeks after SAS pilots went on strike & SAS declared bankruptcy. LOL....I think I'm cursed

Clothes shopping while on an overseas trip seems like a waste of time. IMO, it would be best to buy new clothes at home before the trip and spend as much time as possible during the trip on attractions.

That said, DW had to visit Harrod's while in London. We spent several hours there that could have been spent doing something else.

For some the shops ARE some of the attractions.

DM took me to Greece most summers as a child. I remember her jumping off the plane and tearing through the plaka like a bolt of lightening. Clothes, leather sandals, dresses, gold jewelry . . . I learned to haggle before age 10:LOL: Now that I think of it, that was a skill which came in useful later in my career (although in a business setting it was referred to as negotiating :angel:).

Yes, we made some time to go to the beaches and see the sights as well.

If I wait 2 years to travel that could be 3 trips I'll miss ouut on. I'll deal with whatever comes up. It'll make a good story & laugh sometime in the future.

I'm still trying to get back to Paris. 2020....Covid 2021 France closed the border to England one day before we were to depart from London. 2022....booked a flight on SAS to Paris. A few weeks after SAS pilots went on strike & SAS declared bankruptcy. LOL....I think I'm cursed

So I guess you can't say "we'll always have Paris". Maybe the next trip will be the lucky charm. Did you go out of pocket on any of these missed trips?

Clothes shopping while on an overseas trip seems like a waste of time. .

I have not done it myself, except for one time when I realized I had not brought any short sleeved shirts with me and it was already getting warm. I went to Mono Prix (a French version of Target from what I can tell) and got a short sleeved shirt. And then a hat. I had my oldest with me, so I bought her a hat also. Fun!

But, if one is into dressing interestingly why not bring back a genuine French or Italian item? We all don't think the same. One of the best tips I ever got was this: While in Paris forget about waiting in long lines to get to the top of the Eiffel Tower. Instead go to a certain department store that has a roof top cafeteria. Buy a nice lunch and enjoy a view of Paris that includes the Eiffel Tower. To each his/her own.

Last edited:
1. I'm tired of waiting.

Good list. We would be in Croatia now if DH hadn’t had a heart attack. Our friends are there and are having a great time. They didn’t check any bags.

I don’t want to shop in Europe as I would much rather be seeing the sights. I am a lover of history, architecture , ruins, old churches, etc.

I’m not a fan of clothes shopping and wouldn’t feel comfortable counting on being able to find clothes with a flattering fit. Maybe women who are thin and average to tall height could do it, but I’m short & curvy.

So I guess you can't say "we'll always have Paris". Maybe the next trip will be the lucky charm. Did you go out of pocket on any of these missed trips?

Not too much....yet? 2020 it was far enough into the pandemic that I think I got everything back. I took a voucher for Virgin Atlantic. Then used it in 2021...when we got bumped & got another voucher! They still got us there (London) but we had to fly from LAX instead of SFO. I had a Rick Steves tour booked in 2020 & they refunded right away

In 2021 I got dinged 1 night in Strasbourg because it was so close. I don't rember anything else

When SAS pilots struck I waited to see if it was going to be a 1 day strike or whatever. SAS is still flying but 75% of their flights are not. I booked a refundable flight on Delta a couple days ago. There will probably be some fees from Delta to cancel. Likely in the hundreds. So one way or another I'm going to get there dammit. I'll probably cry in CDG when I get boots on the tarmac

On the other hand we had a great time in England/Scotland in lieu of Paris.

I once got rid of every single item of clothing (except for what I was wearing) in Berlin, and replaced them with new German clothes.

But it was not voluntary. It was 1972. We drove the "Transit Highway" from West Germany to West Berlin. However, my father was sick of driving, and inexplicably took an exit in East Germany. We were met with guards bearing machine guns. I have many siblings, and the guards did not believe that one of my sisters was the girl in the passport picture. (She was too pretty for the picture, they thought.) They thought we were trying to smuggle a child (although why we would be smuggling a child into East Germany wasn't clear.) They held us at gunpoint for many hours while they consulted with each other and the authorities. Eventually, they (correctly) concluded that we were just stupid American tourists and let us go.

We drove the rest of the way to West Berlin, arriving much later than planned, and so went to a Wiener Wald restauarant (kind of like a Pizza Hut, but for sausages) for a late dinner. Halfway through the meal, the waiter came to ask if there was a member of our party in our van? No, it was a thief who stole every single item from our van, down to all the food in the cooler.

We went to an American army base, and threw ourselves on their mercy. (My dad was a vet.) They wanted to help us, but there was red tape to sort out. I remember sitting on one of those ubiquitous grey metal folding chairs for MANY hours while they sorted out our situation. Thankfully, they eventually ignored the rules and found us some rooms in the barracks, and we gratefully slept 3 to a single bed. Later, we replaced some of our clothes in West Germany. I recall the dye in my (new) pants bled onto my socks when it got wet in the morning dew. For some years later, my brother and I still had some pairs of what we called "European underwear," which had a very peculiar waistband.

So, yes, it is possible to abandon your clothes and buy new! :)

Last edited:
Just looked online and Virgin Atlantic has the 2 nonstop SFO -> LHR canceled next week. There's a flight thru LAX 3 hrs earlier. Would you ask Princess Cruises to shift you? My trip isn't until 8/30 so I'm wondering if I'm worried for nothing.

I don’t want to shop in Europe as I would much rather be seeing the sights. I am a lover of history, architecture , ruins, old churches, etc.

In general I agree with you but sometimes it's fun to pick up distinctive clothing from the area. I have a few salwar kameezes from India (the tunic outfits) and a wonderful hand-woven poncho that I bought in Bolivia from the woman who made it.

Back
Top Bottom