Treasury vs annuity

51togo

Recycles dryer sheets
My short term T note $150k@ 5% is due next week. My Chase bank broker suggests rates are dropping so a 3 years annuity at 5.5% or 5 years at 6% is better. I won’t be using this IRA fund as part of my 401 where transferred out from Fidelity. What kind of questions should I ask ie company ratings AAA etc? Not understanding and also not comfortable with annuity, I prefer a lower T note rate at 4.5%, my 401 are mixed with large cap, target 2030, income fund at 3%, company stock, and international funds at $250k each. Like to hear your comments and thanks!

Annuity’s are not guaranteed by the Federal government, but a state guarantee association for between 100K and 250K - varies by state.

Rather than buying one big one, why not buy more than one with different well-rated companies in different states? Still not quite the same as FDIC but that should improve your odds.

Rather than buying one big one, why not buy more than one with different well-rated companies in different states? Still not quite the same as FDIC but that should improve your odds.

That is exactly what we are doing, we have 3 all in excess of 5% at the maximum guaranteed level for our state. I consider $250k a big one.

Back
Top Bottom