TRICARE PRIME medical "SUPPLEMENT"

TomandFlora

Confused about dryer sheets
Question for those retired Military out there. The wife and I both 59 yrs old recently retired. I am retired Mil and Gov contractor. Currently we have tricare supplements and life insurance with Military Benefits Association (MBA). Our financial advisor suggested when my wife turns 60 we should discontinue our rather expensive life insurance since our investments (1.3 mil) is enough, so insurance is unnecessary. I can't remember what the age of 60 had to do with it.

Anyways getting to my question: Does anyone have recommendations on good Tricare supplement companies? We have had MBA for over 10 years and never used them to date.

Our retirement plans beginning this Nov is to spend 6 months at an overseas location and 6 months back in the States.

We have 6 years before Tricare for life kicks in

I don't know what the Tricare supplement is. With Tricare, our catastrophic cap is $3K annually. Why supplement?

Hi Tom. Fellow military retiree here. I’m going naked (without a supplement) for now since I am close to a military installation that will see us. I’m told MOAA has a good plan that some active duty members take advantage of to get off post care. Urgent care met most of our needs for a low out of pocket cost.

As for the insurance, it sounds like you have term coverage that may go up at the sixth decade. If you have a whole life policy you might want to seek a second (financial) opinion. If not, it sounds like you might be able to get by without her income. Good luck and let us know what TRICARE Supp you pick.

I don't know what the Tricare supplement is. With Tricare, our catastrophic cap is $3K annually. Why supplement?

That's my question. Why would you need such a thing? Is it offered though an outfit like First Command Financial or heaven forbid Pioneer Military Lending? Sounds like something they would come up with...

Hmm. Interesting. Here is brochure on the product the OP is talking about. It's legit...although I am still not sure why most folks would pay for this.

https://www.militarybenefit.org/app/uploads/2018/02/Hartford-Brochure-01-18.pdf

Last edited:
I'm retired 21 years, been on Tricare Prime going to the local MTF for general care. I also have medical with my employer, so most costs are covered. Vision and hearing required some expenditure, but all else sorts 100% into the various insurance pots. Employer offered a Tricare supplement for a couple of years, but discontinued it when (I think) few to none of us took it - seemed like a lot to pay when not much coverage was required.

In retirement, we intend to continue with Prime at the MTF until we get kicked to the Medicare curb. We're taking care of some things now, while we have all the insurance, but a subsequent supplement doesn't seem necessary.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom