Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance for multiple back-to-back tours overseas

Thanks much to everyone for the details and recommendations. I’ll make some calls while I plan our trip.

I’m not sure if any policies cover illnesses for either of you with no preexisting conditions excluded. People could book trips knowing there was a high risk of cancellation due to their preexisting condition, cancel, and get reimbursed.

I’m not sure if any policies cover illnesses for either of you with no preexisting conditions excluded. People could book trips knowing there was a high risk of cancellation due to their preexisting condition, cancel, and get reimbursed.

My understanding is that as long as you buy the insurance within a certain narrow window of the initial purchase of the trip they are covered.

No, actually, I’m not looking for cancel for any reason coverage. I’m only looking to cover specific events normally covered. Illness for either of us with no prexisting conditions excluded, illness or death of an immediate family member requiring us to return or stay home, maybe weather disruptions/delays would be nice if normally included.

The bar for passing pre-existing conditions was pretty low. I needed to have my doctor note in his records that I was clear to travel on the day I purchased the policy. I did not dig into what all the insurance was using pre-existing conditions to limit. I expect at least medical and trip cancellation. It's just like the requirements for payment in given time frames.. legal hurtles.

We did 3 weeks of mountain hiking in New Zealand with full packs.

If you purchase within 10 to 14 days of placing the first deposit (exact time varies by policy) and you are able to travel on the day that you purchase the insurance, then most policies waive the pre-existing conditions clause.

You do have to read the policy to make sure the waiver also applies to elderly relatives at home, otherwise you could find your claim denied if someone who was already ill takes a turn for the worse and you need to cut your trip short.

I had to cancel two trips and leave one to fly home because my elderly Mom took a turn . Every claim was paid with few questions .

Mostly travel guard but I usually just pick the one that looks good on "Insure My Trip " .I have had eight claims with travel insurance and except for the last I never had any problems . The last claim was for the flu last year . I was hospitalized . The travel insurance kept on asking for more info until I went on their facebook page and complained. They paid soon after that .

Last edited:
Mostly travel guard but I usually just pick the one that looks good on "Insure My Trip " .I have had eight claims with travel insurance and except for the last I never had any problems . The last claim was for the flu last year . I was hospitalized . The travel insurance kept on asking for more info until I went on their facebook page and complained. They paid soon after that .

I don't think I would have thought of the FB tactic. Good thinking.

However, to save you, we pay $200/yr to cover 2 people for up to 70 days per trip, multiple trips. However, it only covers health and evac up to about $100K. To reimburse for canceling a trip due to parent/certain relatives, getting sick/death, it is a lot more, usually about 6%-10% of the trip cost. We don't get this coverage.

That is what I am finding as well -- that annual policies have very minimal cancellation and interruption insurance like $1,000 or so. With DW and I now retired and taking multiple trips annually, I thought an annual policy would be more convenient than buying insurance for each and every trip.

We are mostly interested in the cancellation/interruption portion of the coverage, such as for unexpected illness to us or family members. Our pre-Medicare health insurance covers us medically overseas, and our credit card (Costco Visa) just eliminated its travel insurance last month :(.

I am going to call insuremytrip.com and get more information.

^^^ I'm going to check this Costco Visa eliminating coverage on travel, as that is really big news....
I was planning to pay about 5K on a trip with it, but that is a question mark now.

So I checked, and sure enough at the bottom of my July statement is:
"... Effective September 22, 2019, Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection and Citi Price Rewind will be discontinued and will no longer be provided for purchases made on or after that date. Coverage for purchases made before that date will continue to be available, and you may continue to file for benefits in accordance with the current benefit terms. We are making these changes so that we can continue providing the key benefits that our customers use and value most at no additional cost. This change requires no action on your part.....
"

Of course I have partially paid for a cruise before July, and the remainder is due next year..
I phoned them and nobody seems to know how it will be treated.

I'll probably just switch the cruise to another CC that has coverage and forgo the 2% Costco earnings on the $5K final payment.

Back
Top Bottom