Trip to Niagara Falls

I recall now driving a rental car from Canada side into the US on Thousand Island Bridge at the other end of Lake Ontario. This must be around the late 90s, because we had our children with us on that trip and I could picture them and their age then.

The female border guard was about to wave us through, and when she saw us having our passports ready said "OK, as you have them out, I might as well look at them". As casual as that! Maybe she was joking.

Things have changed significantly since 9/11.

Things have dramatically changed. We used to ride our bikes and walk back and forth to Niagara Falls, NY over the bridges with no ID at all. At age 15!! I also used to walk and ride across the Bluewater bridge from Sarnia to Pt Huron, Michigan as a teen. The good old days!

Fifty posts and no one can say anything about Scranton?

It's only about 220 miles to go before you reach Belleville?

The falls themselves are pretty majestic: power of nature, etc, etc. Definitely wirth seeing IMHO, especially the tunnel behind the falls and getting drenched on the Maid of the Mist. Just ignore all that other touristy crap and go see a play at Niagara on the Lake.

+1

It is awesome to see one great lake empty into another.

Buffalo is near by. I hear they have some good buffalo wings.
Might I recomend Duffs.

We visited the Niagara Falls area many times, since we traveled from Detroit to Boston to visit family. I agree with all the posts including Watkins Glen and the Finger Lakes.
If you are on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls, I recommend stopping into Greaves Jams in Niagara on the Lake. They have some delicious nonstandard varieties of jams and jellies. Nice for gifts or yourself.

As awesome as Niagara Falls are, some of the water was already diverted for hydro power generation. Imagine what the full flow would be.

Now, how about the falls running dry? That would be a sight too, no?

That happened before, when necessitated by a construction project.

article-1338793-0C7DB7DE000005DC-707_634x417.jpg

Last edited:
Hit the Finger Lakes area vineyards. Beautiful.
The Canadian side is way nicer and safer.
The Maid of the Mist is an awesome experience. I didn't care for the other touristy attractions like Cave of the Winds or the Spanish Car.

am from the area, sorta (Rochester). when I take newbies to see the falls, I try to include a trip to the Welland Canal locks to see a ship pass thru wellandcanal.com It's maybe 20mi farther west

The Flight Locks in Thorold, Ontario are 14 km (9 miles) from the Falls and are worth a look if you are interested. We used to go there to wave at the ships from around the world as they passed through. The sailors used to throw coins down to us. This is a cool video of a ship passing downbound on the canal. Best bit is from 3.00 to 6.30 in the video.

Great place. I was there in 1973, I think, and saw a bunch of bands, I'm pretty sure. Things are a little fuzzy from that weekend.:D

My future wife was there. Her experience was much like yours.

My cousin who lives in Watkins Glen dumped his motorcycle that weekend. Unconscious he wasn't able to explain there was Nothing in his system. Took quite a while to find him and get the hospital to believe that they could administer medication to a non-intoxicated person.

Back
Top Bottom