Trying New LPR (Silent Reflux) Treatment

After a few weeks, I can't say for sure whether the Gaviscon works. I know that it doesn't totally eliminate all coughing/throat clearing.

I'm 40% through the two-bottle supply. I will probably buy it again when I run out.

After a few weeks, I can't say for sure whether the Gaviscon works. I know that it doesn't totally eliminate all coughing/throat clearing.

I'm 40% through the two-bottle supply. I will probably buy it again when I run out.

TromboneAl, having just endured an INTENSE round of h pylori can confirm that the liquid stuff containing simethicone gave me relief. Gaviscon is, as they say, for punks. I haven't read your entire chat content, but suggest picking up the cheapest housebrand antacid liquid containing simethicone. couple bucks at wallyworld. Well worth the experiment.

TromboneAl, having just endured an INTENSE round of h pylori can confirm that the liquid stuff containing simethicone gave me relief. Gaviscon is, as they say, for punks. I haven't read your entire chat content, but suggest picking up the cheapest housebrand antacid liquid containing simethicone. couple bucks at wallyworld. Well worth the experiment.

That's a great idea, actually. I've often found that after a good burp, the coughing goes away (or gets better). I should have thought of simethicone sooner. Thanks.

Years ago I discovered that when I slept on my back I might wake up with acid (and other stomach contents) in my throat. The experience was extremely unpleasant with burning, choking, and coughing. I was afraid that I would aspirate and get pneumonia. For years I avoided sleeping on my back. (I don't think this is what you are experiencing, Al.) What I had was positional sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is often most severe when sleeping on the back and can even occur only when sleeping on the back.

Eventually, I developed sleep apnea in all positions. CPAP has relieved the sleep apnea and I can sleep on my back now with no reflux and no snoring.

I bring this up because sleep apnea or simple snoring can contribute to esophageal reflux. Think of the esophagus as a straw between the throat and the stomach. When we struggle to inhale, as with snoring, we create a negative pressure in the chest and this can contribute to sucking up acid from the stomach into the esophagus, especially when the gastroesophageal sphincter is weak. (Obesity, over-eating, and substances that relax the sphincter are other factors. Obesity and over-eating tend to push food and acid up into the esophagus.)

I bring this up to point out that snoring and sleep apnea are under appreciated conditions that contribute to esophageal reflux. CPAP can be very helpful when this happens. I suspect that CPAP may also reduce reflux even in the absence of snoring or sleep apnea just by increasing pressure in the chest. (There is some research suggesting that this is true. Google "CPAP for esophageal reflux.")

Back
Top Bottom