Trying to eliminate Acid Reflux naturally

Katydid

Dryer sheet wannabe
I went to and ENT was scoped and told I have acid reflux.. I was given a prescription of Pantoprazole that I took for 3 months then stopped due to what I read about side affects:( I am not a pill taker anyways..

I have read up on the foods not to eat and have quit coffee, alcohol, carbonated beverages, milk, egg yolks, spice, tomatoes, garlic to name a few.. And I also got a wedge pillow to sleep on grate ginger in hot water to drink and have licorice root tea only every now and again as it can elevate blood pressure.

I can tell a wee bit of difference but still have that feeling in my throat at times and voice hoarseness...

I have tested the "forbidden" foods now and again to see what would happen
and did have slight burning

Does anyone else have or had this?

My wife suffers with acid reflux. Unfortunately, she hasn't had much luck controlling it. She takes over the counter Omeprezole every day, which seems to help but doesn't eliminate it.

Changing eating or drinking habits can help a little, but it's generally not sustainable for her.

Honestly, most of her acid reflux seems to be caused by stress. When she has time off work or can just relax for a few days, she doesn't seem to be bothered with acid reflux even if she doesn't take the medicine.

The crazy "fix" that worked for me is daily apple cider vinegar. The counter intuitive solution is that you need your stomach to be MORE acid.

A wheat-free, low carb diet can work wonders for acid reflux. If you try it, commit to at least 2 weeks to see the impact.

I used to have acid reflux and went through all the food changes, but what did the trick was losing 35 pounds.
Hands down that was the reason, as for example at the lower weight, I felt nothing when eating tomato sauce, chocolate, etc.

Katydid, it's best to quote another post when you reply to it so that others can see what you're replying to.

Click the Quote button in the post you want to reply to, and edit out the irrelevant parts.

This stuff is explained here:
Quoting other members

I had acid reflux for about a year - took a Pepcid AC every day to control it. I tried giving up different foods to see if any made a difference, but no luck. Then one day I didn’t take the Pepcid and didn’t have a problem. After a few weeks I just didn’t have it anymore. No idea what caused it or why it stopped, but glad it did.

Stopped eating tomato based foods for dinner. That was the big thing. Eating a grapefruit definitely helps, as it is basic (not acidic).

I stopped eating food and snacks after 10:00PM. I don't know if my acid reflux is getting better. I have some fluid around my throat, but I don't feel heart burn.

The side effect is that I lost about 6 ponds since last year.

I have been taking Pantoprazal for years. It has definitely helped me. I know when I travel I may forget to take a pill for a day or two and the gerd comes right back. Not sure what the side effects are, but it is the one pill I know works... for me.

What helped me a lot was to loose a fair amount of weight. Basically stop being “fat”. That help fix myriad problems.

Also, don’t eat for four hours before bedtime.

Everything suggested helps. Losing weight, avoid alcohol, not eating at least 2 hours before bed, are probably the biggest factors. Lots of resources say "fatty meats" and high fat foods are a culprit, but they show french fries and hamburgers as examples, which are also high in carbohydrates. I found the keto diet with weight loss, avoiding alcohol, and not eating late in the day (usually after 6-8 pm) more helpful than anything else. The specific foods listed by others occasionally cause problems.

I have a hiatal hernia. My Gastro Doc. recommends I take Omeprazole (Generic for Prilosec). I used to have to have a Upper GI procedure every 18 months to expand things, but since taking the acid blocker, my hernia has actually reduced in size as a result, and I have not had to have a procedure for 3 years with no adverse side effects.

It is Zero cost to me under my cheapo Part D plan. Win Win All the way.

My wife suffers with acid reflux. Unfortunately, she hasn't had much luck controlling it. She takes over the counter Omeprezole every day, which seems to help but doesn't eliminate it.

Changing eating or drinking habits can help a little, but it's generally not sustainable for her.

Honestly, most of her acid reflux seems to be caused by stress. When she has time off work or can just relax for a few days, she doesn't seem to be bothered with acid reflux even if she doesn't take the medicine.

Thanks so much.. Not sure mine is stress.. I really have no clue. I would say that this has been coming on for a wee bit as I kept thinking it was post nasal drainage or something..

A wheat-free, low carb diet can work wonders for acid reflux. If you try it, commit to at least 2 weeks to see the impact.

I know some people are allergic to wheat and I can say that I may have had reactions to it myself.. Thanks

I used to have acid reflux and went through all the food changes, but what did the trick was losing 35 pounds.
Hands down that was the reason, as for example at the lower weight, I felt nothing when eating tomato sauce, chocolate, etc.

This is key.. I have been walking every day as I know weight can be an issue so I am working on that. If all else fails, then I need to get checked for a hiatal hernia...
Thanks

Acid reflux is really something that you want to control well. Over time it can cause damage to the esophagus lining that can turn cancerous. Silent reflux is when folks don't have the painful heartburn that lets you know something is wrong; instead the symptoms are more subtle (https://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/guide/laryngopharyngeal-reflux-silent-reflux) but should be taken just as seriously.

I had acid reflux for about a year - took a Pepcid AC every day to control it. I tried giving up different foods to see if any made a difference, but no luck. Then one day I didn’t take the Pepcid and didn’t have a problem. After a few weeks I just didn’t have it anymore. No idea what caused it or why it stopped, but glad it did.

I am glad it stopped for you as well... Not fun. Thanks

I stopped eating food and snacks after 10:00PM. I don't know if my acid reflux is getting better. I have some fluid around my throat, but I don't feel heart burn.

The side effect is that I lost about 6 ponds since last year.

Yes, I also try not to have anything past dinner time. Same here, fluid or something that causes me to sound hoarse but no burn. It is a work n progress!:( Thanks

I've had a little acid reflux over the years, but not enough to be very knowledgeable about it.

No snacking before bedtime, which is the most obvious thing, helped me. We also bought an adjustable bed, which makes it simple to keep your head elevated. (but DW is a side-sleeper", so we don't tilt it as much as I'd like)

Something that hasn't been mentioned that I think is often overlooked is taking Probiotics to improve digestion and general "gut health". (Note: the best brands require refrigeration. I have the Jarrow brand & the container says each capsule contains 3.4 billion live bacteria! )

that's my 2 cents,

I have been taking Pantoprazal for years. It has definitely helped me. I know when I travel I may forget to take a pill for a day or two and the gerd comes right back. Not sure what the side effects are, but it is the one pill I know works... for me.

Oh I am glad it works for you!!!! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom