TT Deluxe FREE for military

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Ran across this TT info @ USAA web site. Pass on to any active duty or reserve military members that you know .

<H4>Special and Limited Time Offer: Free TurboTax Deluxe Federal
USAA active-duty military and reservists can get TurboTax Deluxe Online Federal at no charge. It includes specific guidance for military situations, live help and more.
</H4>

The frustrating part is that I can file Federal for free, but I have to download TT anyway to do my state taxes since wife and I file in different states. I guess I could do it by hand, but to me, I'd rather pay $50 or whatever it is for the convenience than deal with pencils and tax forms. The whole thing is a hassle, but it saves a huge chunk on state taxes each year.

The frustrating part is that I can file Federal for free, but I have to download TT anyway to do my state taxes since wife and I file in different states. I guess I could do it by hand, but to me, I'd rather pay $50 or whatever it is for the convenience than deal with pencils and tax forms. The whole thing is a hassle, but it saves a huge chunk on state taxes each year.

Nash, curious about you and DW filing in different states. The law changed a few years ago. Military spouses can now file state of record just like active duty. Prior to that non military spouses had to get driver license (ie file taxes) in the new state their active duty member spouse (and family) moved to while the active duty member could always just stay with their origional home of record.

Nash, curious about you and DW filing in different states. The law changed a few years ago. Military spouses can now file state of record just like active duty. Prior to that non military spouses had to get driver license (ie file taxes) in the new state their active duty member spouse (and family) moved to while the active duty member could always just stay with their origional home of record.

The spouse has to have lived in the state where the service member claims residence. I have no information about Nash's situation (other than his profile says he lives in the same town as me), but if he happens to be from someplace with a very low state tax rate and met and married his wife after coming to CA, it's almost certainly better for him to file in his home state and for her to file in CA.

The spouse has to have lived in the state where the service member claims residence. I have no information about Nash's situation (other than his profile says he lives in the same town as me), but if he happens to be from someplace with a very low state tax rate and met and married his wife after coming to CA, it's almost certainly better for him to file in his home state and for her to file in CA.

residency for active military and their spouses can get complicated. I enlisted from Minnesota. Gave up my apt to join. No family there. My license expired while deployed to Okinawa. Automatic extension until you go back to MN. But, if I went back to MN (no reason too) what would I put as an address? So when I got back from Japan I got an Arkansas license (mom and step dad lived there-I never did). Shortly there after I married DW (active duty from VT) and acquired a VT driver's license (her state). From that day forward until I retired I was a VT resident. 15 days after retirement from active duty I got my MD driver's license (after living here for 4 yrs).

Up until I wanna say 2007 or so military spouses had to get residency in the state they lived in with their active duty spouses. Sometimes this had fairly large tax consequences for working non military spouses. I don't know Nash's specific situation with his spouse but obviously if she was a California resident prior to their marriage and has never left the state it would be difficult to justify a driver's license (residency) from a different state.

Back
Top Bottom