TurboTax: Deluxe vs Premier

CardsFan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I started using Premier several years back, when I had stock options, and have continued.

Now that I am FIRE'd, I just need a program to handle mutual funds and other investments in the taxable account, as well as IRA distributions and Roth Rollovers. No individual stocks, at this time.

Can Deluxe handle this? Or should I stay with Premier?

In my experience, Deluxe does just as good a job as Premier for the vast majority of us. It's certainly good enough for me.

In my experience, Deluxe does just as good a job as Premier for the vast majority of us. It's certainly good enough for me.

So, no issues with downloading the brokerage statement, and getting all the boxes filled in?

Sounds like it should be OK. I only went to premier for the stock options, since Deluxe could not handle that.

I have not checked, but I "assume" I can always upgrade on line, if needed.

FYI Deluxe download is currently available at amazon for $49.86.

Yes, you can upgrade online. IIRC it will ask you and pressure you to do that at some point.

I used Basic for years, and then started using Deluxe when Amazon started cutting back on the capabilities of different levels of TurboTax. I have never used Premier. I don't do anything very complicated, though.

I am going to wait until January to get mine from Amazon, hoping that the prices might drop a little.

Last edited:
no issues with downloading from Schwab/Vanguard. I had to go with Premier as well for non qualified stock options after the IRS changed how the brokers reported the 1099's. Now that era is behind me, Deluxe works just fine.

You will get lots of "opportunites" to upgrade, but should be fine with Deluxe

Mike

I have not checked, but I "assume" I can always upgrade on line, if needed.
Yes, you can upgrade, as W2R points out, you'll be pestered to do so throughout the return prep. It's an expensive option, though, you will pay the difference between the 2 list prices - no discount. Waiting for a sale price in January seems like a good move.

I am going to wait until January to get mine from Amazon, hoping that the prices might drop a little.

I waiting til an end of year type sale last year at Amazon at got a CD version of deluxe for $39.99 before tax. Will wait for hopefully something similar this year.

Wonder is there really any benefit in holding out any longer, say til end of Jan or Feb? Maybe by then, prices start to climb up for those folks feeling a bit desperate :(.

Back
Top Bottom