Turkey on the menu?

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
For those who are planning on having a turkey this month, what's your source?

We've tried just about everything from getting a turkey ready-cooked from the store to eating out at a restaurant to smoking it myself, deep-frying it, baking it the traditional way, you name it.

Every method has been good, with the nod probably going to the years I deep-fried it, but I've never done anything but the standard frozen-like-a-rock turkey from the supermarket.

I've always wanted to try something "better" so this year I bit the bullet and ordered one from D'Artagnan. Heard lots of good things about that place, so hoping it's as good as they say. It will be done on the rotisserie inside my Big Green Egg.

If you're having turkey, where is it coming from?

We'll buy an organic turkey from either Costco or Trader Joes. We'll roast it in the oven, stuffing inside. (Don't worry - we use a thermometer to make sure the stuffing and turkey are done enough not to get food poison.)

Turkey on the menu? Yes, always. Along with chicken, beef, pork, etc..., that family members bring as side dishes.

This year, my brother's hosting, so the turkey is his duty. SIL usually gets a non-frozen turkey, but I do not know where she buys it.

Always, a tradition. TG will be at girlfriend's parents house, but I do them here all the time. Brined overnight and smoked in the egg.

I usually get an ordinary grocery store turkey and they are usually free as a promo if you buy $100 of food.

I just get a couple of cheap crappy frozen ones and deep fry them

I will spatchcock my turkey again this year. I've use this method for the last two years in a row at Thanksgiving. It came out really well. Google it for details.

Since it's just the three of us, I'll buy two breasts and drumsticks from our local butcher. I'm going to try sous vide then a quick sear. It was my son's suggestion. Weather permitting, I may be able to do a quick grill outside.

I will spatchcock my turkey again this year. I've use this method for the last two years in a row at Thanksgiving. It came out really well. Google it for details.

I convinced DW to try that with chicken recently, and I really liked it. I think it makes the meat more 'roasted' tasting, more os exposed to direct heat, rather than having it steamed on the inside.

Cooks quicker, probably more even. Might try it on the big bird this year.

The standard frozen seems to work just fine for us.

-ERD50

I'll get a frozen one from the grocery, let it thaw in brine, and Alton Brown that sucker up in the oven.

I used to hate turkey. Dry, chewy, unpleasant all around compared to ham. Now after figuring out turkey can be delicious, I'm the one buying and making it every year.

We don't plan to get together with family this year, barring the unexpected. I suppose we could split a roasted turkey pita that is offered at a familiar inexpensive restaurant. We really aren't interested in the gigantic "Thanksgiving turkey dinner" with all the trimmings, that is offered at hugely inflated prices at some local restaurants.

I don't recall preparing a turkey and stuffing at home, for at least 20 years. Such is the life of an older introvert, especially now that almost all of my own family is deceased. The silver lining to that is that my holidays are much less work and less stressful as well.

Thanks, EastWestGal. That's the best carving demo I've seen.

We always roast it at home, with a fresh bird seeming better than a frozen one.

I've been spatchcocking chickens for years, so I know it's a great method.

But this year I got a new gadget, a rotisserie that fits in a Big Green Egg. So I get all the benefits of the BGE (smoke, great control over temperature, etc.) plus the benefits of a rotisserie (self-basting, even cooking, etc.).

Since I started using it for chicken, I'll never go back to spatchcock. This way is so much better -- best chicken I've ever had. Can't wait to try it on a turkey.

I know we have some BGE owners here, so if you're interested, I would encourage you to look into it. Although it's made by a competing kamado manufacturer, it fits perfectly in a Large BGE.

Joetisserie

Off brand frozen bird from Wegmans. 49 to 69 cents a pound. Biggest one I can get. Stuffed and oven roasted. If I have enough guests coming I will also do a 12-15 pounder over charcoal with mesquite chips. Also do some pork ribs with apple or cherry chips.
I've tried fresh from a local turkey ranch, but it wasn't worth the time and expense.
BTW, my ideal contract job would be to be the guy at the FDA / Ag Dept. that tells everyone to not roast their turkeys stuffed every year. Certain Death, (though no ones gotten I'll on my birds yet.)

We've bought other things from D'Artagnan and always been pleased.

Some of DW's family will be with us, they have never seen a traditional US Thanksgiving, so we will have turkey with all the trimmings. In the past DW bought Amish organic turkey, always delicious.

Carving is always a challenge for me, I'm going to check the video link EWG shared.

Edit - EastWest Gal, thanks for that link. Very instructive - that is what I'll try this year.

Last edited:
This year is an experiment for us. SIL & BIL are hosting and she's a big fan of Honeybaked Ham at Christmas so we ordered a ham and cooked turkey from them. It's downstairs in the freezer now.

Normally we bring something else like the homemade mashed potatoes or something and SIL cooks the turkey. Always lots of food and lots of people, a good time.

BTW I learned a great way to carve a turkey last year. Check out this video:

http://andrewzimmern.com/2015/11/24/turkey-carving-demo/

It really works well!

Thanks. I stumbled into this technique over the past few years (but I don't use my fingers). It makes it impossible for me to avoid being picked to carve. A crowd gathers while I'm working and usually at least one guest will challenge my skills until they see the result. Everyone eats more turkey because the presentation is so appealing. If there are any leftovers it is much easier to store them. I did learn a few tips from the video and I'll be looking for a pair of those shears.

We usually have a frozen butterball roasted in the oven and sometimes a 2ndary bird deep fried.

DW and I prefer 'mini-turkeys' i.e rock cornish game hens. We inject them with brandy and herbal butter. yumm-yumm:dance:

We haven't done turkey in years. When we did, it was brine and roast.

It's just the two of us since family & friends are nearly all dead. We used to do a country ham for the holidays but no more since the oven is on the fritz.

Thanksgiving, Christmas, it's just another day to us. Maybe we'll try to take advantage of any sales and buy a spiral ham or something like that.

Turkey on the grill sounds interesting though. I bet that takes a lot of attention and fuel.

_B

BTW I learned a great way to carve a turkey last year. Check out this video:

How to Carve a Turkey - Andrew ZimmernAndrew Zimmern

It really works well!

Having just finished watching the video, I have just one criticism.

That turkey is small!

As mentioned, my brother as the host this year gets to make the turkey (and keeps the leftover plus the carcass to make soup). No matter who is hosting, we always have a lot of leftover of everything, because people all bring a lot of other meats and food. It's a real smorgasbord, particularly as my grown children and married nieces are separate households and are expected to bring something.

We usually do not roast one at home for ourselves when not hosting. I will ask my wife to see if we want to do one this year.

Last edited:
The last few years we have been going to a Thanksgiving buffet at a waterfront restaurant but this year I may cook . I haven't decided . If I do it will be a baked turkey . We have had smoked and fried but baked is my favorite.

One of my nephew's is in the bbq restaurant business and he is responsible for the turkey. We all gather at his hunting camp as he likes to hunt for a couple of days around Thanksgiving.

I will be eating lite the next couple of weeks so I can pig out on the big day.

Our DD & SIL have convinced us to consider the food we are eating. We've made a conscious change over the last 3 years to eat healthy and well presented meals. I am sure we could still do better but I know we are eating much healthier than just a few years ago. While I do not know for sure it has made a difference in our health, I am positive that the flavor of the food has been greatly improved. Some is due to the time or preparation which has increase and the other is the food quality/presentation. Much in the French tradition.

Following this concept, we found a local farm and purchased our turkeys. They are smaller and we will need 2 since our TG dinner group grew bigger than we expected. But, this farm provided great turkeys last year so we are hoping to keep that part of the tradition.

Traditional baked turkey with a few extra legs baked seperately. Bought frozen, then thawed. All cooked weds , deboned then in fridge overnight, then put in crock pot with turkey juice for several hrs thanksgiving morning. Will be ready for 1pm dinner.

Back
Top Bottom