Twenty Somethings

I actually very strongly respect 20 somethings. I know quite a few through my kids, and they are excellent, hard working and interesting people.

Ha

Thanks for saying that, I thought I was alone. Most of the 'kids' I come in contact with are fine people. Goal oriented, focused, smart, and take some time out to have fun too. What's not to like?

-ERD50

Some more or less random thoughts and obervaions on this general subject:

Younger DD reminded DW and me to be nice to her. She will most likely choose our nursing home.

Older DD's mouth dropped open some years back (maybe when she was 19) when I initiated an intelligent conversation about Lenny Kravitz.

Friends of our generation often complimented us on our kids outstanding manners and behavior. We didn't dare ask if they might be mistakenly talking about someone else.

I recall my eyes glazing over when my dad pointed out that he'd been around the block a couple of more times than I had. Son's eyes looked similarly glazed when I pointed out my experience level 40 years later.

It's true that youth is wasted on the young and experience is wasted on the old. The real problem is that the young become old a lot faster than anyone ever imagined.

Returning you now...

Many wise words spoken here. Never heard "experience is wasted on the old". Thought that experience was my ace-in-the-hole, oh well ...

Ah, how about..........green hair, tattoos, body piercings, loud car radios......... :D

Ahh, ya just gotta go with the flow ;)

Yep, there are some things that 'bug' me. But I know my generation did things to bug the elders, it's just a part of growing up.

-ERD50

Last summer (2009), I hosted a group of 19-year old midshipmen from the U.S. Naval Academy for the July 4th weekend. They had sailed up here from Annapolis on their summer cruise. I enjoyed their company quite a bit. At times, I found myself just listening to them talk to each other and thinking that they sounded exactly like I did when I was in their shoes. They talked about exactly the same things in exactly the same way.

When I think about it, I would say that my own youth was so much easier than today. These young people have many more challenges, but they seem to be rising to the occasion. After having spent time with them, I feel much more confident about the future of our country.

When I was in my 20s, I offended plenty of people in their 50s and 60s. Sometimes I just blurted out insensitive things without even thinking that how they would make people feel. Afterwards I would regret it but didn't know what to say to make it up, so I never said anything.

Since I believe in karma, I am fully prepared for some young'un to make fun of my "oldness" once I hit 50.

But this goes both ways. I have not been 20 something for a good while, but it has been plainly obvious to me for a long time that my career would have been significantly advanced if only I had some gray hair and wrinkles. You can be better than 99% of the 50-somethings when you are 30 and in most places nobody will give you the time of day.

But this goes both ways. I have not been 20 something for a good while, but it has been plainly obvious to me for a long time that my career would have been significantly advanced if only I had some gray hair and wrinkles. You can be better than 99% of the 50-somethings when you are 30 and in most places nobody will give you the time of day.

In my case, at least, the gray hair and wrinkles didn't help...

Ah, how about..........green hair, tattoos, body piercings, loud car radios......... :D

One wise mother I read about applied what she called the "ten year rule" to weird behavior like green hair. As in "Will this matter in ten years?"

If not, then she didn't worry about it.

One wise mother I read about applied what she called the "ten year rule" to weird behavior like green hair. As in "Will this matter in ten years?"

My question is-"Does this even matter now?"

How could it? It is a hair style, like short, or long, or buzzed or styled, or straight or curled.

If that is a hang up for older people, then they need to get a life.

Ha

My daughter was never a rebel, and never did anything like that as a teenager. But in 2009 (at age 31) she put some pink color in her hair - - underneath, so it only showed when her (brown) hair moved. Normally I don't like weird hair colors but surprisingly, I thought this really looked great.

She removed it for her wedding a year ago, and I kind of miss it. Who would have guessed?

I think those tramp stamps are going to look pretty foolish in a few years as they migrate south. :whistle:

I think those tramp stamps are going to look pretty foolish in a few years as they migrate south. :whistle:

Most of the tramp stamps that I have seen have been on a person who can best be described as a 'blimp'.... (in size, not floating).... they kind of look foolish right now.... :whistle:

I usually get the last laugh when they come crawling to me to remove the latest virus from their laptop.

Encounter many 20 somethings in a cafe I occasionally stop in. Most of them are huddled around textbooks in study groups. Mostly pretty neat bunch.

OTOH there are plenty of 40 and 50 somethings loudly yapping on their cellphones, while holding a supposed conversation with someone next to them.

With the young ones, they don't pretend to ask for advice, nor do I pretend to give any. They learn better from their own mistakes.

With the A$$holes on the cellphone if they are loud enough, I'll walk up real close and butt into their conversation by asking some question relevant to their discussion. They usually cut the telecon short or pipe down.

With the A$$holes on the cellphone if they are loud enough, I'll walk up real close and butt into their conversation by asking some question relevant to their discussion. They usually cut the telecon short or pipe down.

HEYYYYY.... now that is a great idea.....

Carry a pocketfull of rubber bands. When the cellphone screamers deserve it I just shoot a rubber band or two at their face. When they complain, just say something like "Oh was that bothering you ?"

Rinse and repeat as needed

Carry a pocketfull of rubber bands. When the cellphone screamers deserve it I just shoot a rubber band or two at their face. When they complain, just say something like "Oh was that bothering you ?"

Rinse and repeat as needed

You must not have the same CCW laws that we have. :cool:

It hit me this week. A young manager in my company let know another manager had given up and left the company. I replyed that a young manager leaving was quite a loss. He simply stated - "what are you talking about, he was almost 40 " What can I say.

Encounter many 20 somethings in a cafe I occasionally stop in. Most of them are huddled around textbooks in study groups. Mostly pretty neat bunch.

OTOH there are plenty of 40 and 50 somethings loudly yapping on their cellphones, while holding a supposed conversation with someone next to them.

With the young ones, they don't pretend to ask for advice, nor do I pretend to give any. They learn better from their own mistakes.

YouTube - Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - Jammin' Me

I love interacting with the younger folks in my hoop group. I did have a rather fuddy-duddy friend point out to me last night that wasn't I the oldest person at my hoop recital this week? I thought about it, and had to concede that I was. But I guess I just don't feel that much older than them, even though I've got 16 years on a couple of them. They are interesting, fun, and have an enthusiasm that very few folks in our age range can muster.

As my dad always said, getting old isn't optional, but acting old is. Even though he's not taking his own advice right now, it still works.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom