Unclaimed.org - hat tip to Nords

dadu007

Recycles dryer sheets
So I read Doug Nordman's excellent recent post:

https://the-military-guide.com/lessons-learned-settling-my-fathers-estate/

Near the end he mentions the site https://www.unclaimed.org/

I went to the site and searched several states for myself, DW, and some deceased parents and in-laws.
The result was that I found about $3500 that either my wife or I can claim.

The downside is that, depending on the state, the documentation requirements for a claim might be tough (e.g., birth certificate of a deceased grandparent...)

Worth checking out and searching though!

Thanks! Looked up my surname in TX, and found that my grandfather has four unclaimed properties (refunds) worth about $300. Forwarded to my dad!

Our experience was pretty terrific. Claim showed we were owed about $91, which must have been the original amount, absent whatever interest had been accruing in the interim, because the check we received was for $700 and change.

Hopefully some of you will be as fortunate.

Nords, you are like the gift that keeps on giving! Just looked up my surname in my state...found out my DM has over 1k of Divvies unclaimed at FIDO. Time to make her day lol. My question is, since it was disclosed FIDO held the dividends, would I want to contact them...and the state...or just claim the property from the state...or contact both probably?

Last edited:
Our experience was pretty terrific. Claim showed we were owed about $91, which must have been the original amount, absent whatever interest had been accruing in the interim, because the check we received was for $700 and change.

Hopefully some of you will be as fortunate.

Wow!

Just to keep it real, I just searched several names of departed and couple states and nothing. Guess my family is too tight to let it go unclaimed :LOL:

Just to keep it real, I just searched several names of departed and couple states and nothing. Guess my family is too tight to let it go unclaimed :LOL:

Same here. :LOL:

Nords, you are like the gift that keeps on giving! Just looked up my surname in my state...found out my DM has over 1k of Divvies unclaimed at FIDO. Time to make her day lol. My question is, since it was disclosed FIDO held the dividends, would I want to contact them...and the state...or just claim the property from the state...or contact both probably?

You go through the website which provided the info to you - the state. There should be info right on the page which displayed it to you for what to do to claim it. It's indicating that Fidelity is where the unclaimed funds are from, not where they currently are.

So I read Doug Nordman's excellent recent post:

https://the-military-guide.com/lessons-learned-settling-my-fathers-estate/

Near the end he mentions the site https://www.unclaimed.org/

I went to the site and searched several states for myself, DW, and some deceased parents and in-laws.
The result was that I found about $3500 that either my wife or I can claim.

The downside is that, depending on the state, the documentation requirements for a claim might be tough (e.g., birth certificate of a deceased grandparent...)

Worth checking out and searching though!

Thanks! Looked up my surname in TX, and found that my grandfather has four unclaimed properties (refunds) worth about $300. Forwarded to my dad!

Wow! Thanks, everyone, I'm glad that site is helping. J. Money talks about this search all the time over at BudgetsAreSexy.

I got a lot of keyboard therapy out of that post, and it's good to see the karma spreading.

Same here. :LOL:
I ended up doing several multi-generational searches of our family tree just so I could tell our daughter that she didn't have to worry about those branches...

I will likewise add kudos.

1. Found $235 unclaimed by sister from a credit union account from 20 years ago.

2. Found three unclaimed items for one close friend, and one for another - those state websites don't indicate the amounts, but they've each been notified and are filing claims.

thanks, checked and found several insurance type items listed under my name as unclaimed, sent in form to the state today.

I came up empty but I found my brother listed and he got over $500.

OP here...I ended up recovering about $500...from two old saving accounts shared by my wife and deceased MIL. Unfortunately, the big one, about $3000, belonged to my deceased MIL and her mother (wife's grandmother)...This is in Illinois, dating from the 80s; we sent in some paperwork that actually showed addresses matching the funds' location and origin, but IL wants a copy of the death certificate of deceased grandmother, and to get that we need her SS#. No clue or record on that one! All other relatives are deceased. Oh well...so the money will languish.

I have never found anything for myself, but I did find for several family members (siblings, in-laws, nieces, nephews). In one case it was over $2000.

OP here...I ended up recovering about $500...from two old saving accounts shared by my wife and deceased MIL. Unfortunately, the big one, about $3000, belonged to my deceased MIL and her mother (wife's grandmother)...This is in Illinois, dating from the 80s; we sent in some paperwork that actually showed addresses matching the funds' location and origin, but IL wants a copy of the death certificate of deceased grandmother, and to get that we need her SS#. No clue or record on that one! All other relatives are deceased. Oh well...so the money will languish.

IIRC, Social Security keeps death records online...perhaps those may list the SS#?

omni

You should log on to Ancestry.com. There you can do a family tree search, and Social Security numbers are part of the tools. Gives names that one may have used if married several times. Some death certificates are available, also, but may not be in time window for release. The SS info will give a date of death and some obituary columns are available. Good luck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom