Update on journey to full retirement

Bee4

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hi folks. Approaching a year since I discovered you and 10 months since I created my first post. Advice from you all helped me in which part time strategy I brought forth (3/4 time salaried) and taught me I am not alone in the roller coaster when you know (but no one else does) that you have an exit date of 12-18 months. So, for those who in a similar time frame, I have a second step to share that is really great for me and might work for you. I have a "successor" who started with me last summer (he was the only one who knew it then). Recently I said it was time to share this with our senior manager overseeing our practice area since we had a strategic plan showing me with minor responsibility even though up till then I was the practice lead. Well, this has shifted all that attention on running around doing "beck and call" things to my successor and I get to just do the fun stuff. Our senior people still feel that I am needed so they aren't just jettisoning me - some clients will be distressed when they find out I will be gone "sometime in 2022". I call myself the "lame duck" and it really has allowed me to take all the b.s. in stride as the buck doesn't stop with me anymore. The take home is that if you have a situation that allows you to be a lame duck then go for it!

Hi folks. Approaching a year since I discovered you and 10 months since I created my first post. Advice from you all helped me in which part time strategy I brought forth (3/4 time salaried) and taught me I am not alone in the roller coaster when you know (but no one else does) that you have an exit date of 12-18 months. So, for those who in a similar time frame, I have a second step to share that is really great for me and might work for you. I have a "successor" who started with me last summer (he was the only one who knew it then). Recently I said it was time to share this with our senior manager overseeing our practice area since we had a strategic plan showing me with minor responsibility even though up till then I was the practice lead. Well, this has shifted all that attention on running around doing "beck and call" things to my successor and I get to just do the fun stuff. Our senior people still feel that I am needed so they aren't just jettisoning me - some clients will be distressed when they find out I will be gone "sometime in 2022". I call myself the "lame duck" and it really has allowed me to take all the b.s. in stride as the buck doesn't stop with me anymore. The take home is that if you have a situation that allows you to be a lame duck then go for it!

Great post and glad it is working out for you!!!

VW

One of the best parts of being FI and still working is that the BS bucket doesn't seem to get so full. You just don't let things get stuck in that bucket.

Sounds like you have a great exit plan and good way to coast down to retirement.

Glad you have a good exit in place, your final day will arrive faster than you think!

I knew my exit date about 5 years in advance, but no one else did. The BS bucket was still full, but didn't bother me too much. At one year out, it overflowed, but I was able to easily step over it! The closer the date, it is so much easier to ignore.

One of the best parts of being FI and still working is that the BS bucket doesn't seem to get so full. You just don't let things get stuck in that bucket.

Sounds like you have a great exit plan and good way to coast down to retirement.

Yes, Financial Independence is the Bee's Knees!!

-BB

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom