updating stock price on Excel spreadsheet

Nothing is going backwards. Just have to put in time to understand the tech.
Anything displayed on a webpage can be imported to Excel. The problem you'll run into is that the page design will change, and your "programming" will need to adapt.
It does seem that going through extra steps is a waste of time. That's why I've let go of Excel for this portion of tracking.

Since google sheets does this, I rely on a tracker there if I want to see prices update, etc. What could be simpler than, "=GoogleFinance(GOOG, "price")" ?

I've mentioned this before but I use MarketXLS for stock market data population into Excel. It has way more capabilities than I'm using and they seem to add additional functions every quarter or so. Not sure what the current cost would be as I bought into it a few years ago and the cost was nominal at that time.

Don't know if this will help anybody, but....

Since I only have five Vanguard mutual funds to update, and no individual stocks, I just use Vanguard's Watch List each day to find the share prices. Using a cookie, it saves the funds I need after I edit it once to remove the example funds and enter mine instead. So, all I have to do is click on the link (on my link bar) and bingo, the five numbers that I need are there.

Then I type the five numbers into my spreadsheet. For me, and probably for many of us, this takes no more time than it would take to just read them.

I wrote an excel macro to do this. It worked as recently as last month. I'll try it tomorrow from a computer and try to post it here (or update that it didn't work).

Back
Top Bottom