upgrade my golf clubs ??

Go online to Gigagolf which is out of Tampa. They sell custom fit lookalikes which are very reasonable. You give them some measurements. I had an older set of Pings. Bought from Gigagolf a couple years ago. Hit my irons much more consistently now. Very happy with them. My full set of irons cost about $159.00 plus tax two years ago.

Gigagolf looks interesting. What model irons do you have?

Gigagolf looks interesting. What model irons do you have?

TRX. Mine have the red, black and white paint on the back side of the club head. I believe they are Taylor Made lookalikes. By the way, I do not work for them, etc. I live in Illinois.

I have seen some iron sets are single length clubs. Sounds intruiging.
Anyone go with single length irons?

Single length irons have been around since the 1930's. If it was really a great idea, they'd have taken over the market a long time ago. As you probably know the only name player using them is DeChambeau, and he's not a model for anyone else, especially ANY amateur/recreational player. BTW, fitting is even more important with single length irons.

https://www.liveabout.com/what-you-should-know-about-single-length-irons-4146961

Lessons and lots of practice first, then new clubs maybe. No new clubs are going to radically improve your scoring - even though most players want to think so (marketing is powerful).

Some people play better with SL. The concept makes sense one swing with one club should/could lead to better consistency. But most average swing speed golfers have trouble getting the lower lofted irons in the air. So you tend to get loft creep where your 6I doesn't go much beyond your 7I and your 5 barely goes past the 6I etc. And your 4I only goes as far as the 5I. Obviously Bryson doesn't have this issue. I'm a club builder so I got a set of Cobra SL heads cheap and shafted them up. I hit them the same as my regular irons but I didn't give them a long trial, maybe 5 rounds. I had tried SL probably 20 years ago and got the same results.

Some people play better with SL. The concept makes sense one swing with one club should/could lead to better consistency. But most average swing speed golfers have trouble getting the lower lofted irons in the air. So you tend to get loft creep where your 6I doesn't go much beyond your 7I and your 5 barely goes past the 6I etc. And your 4I only goes as far as the 5I. Obviously Bryson doesn't have this issue. I'm a club builder so I got a set of Cobra SL heads cheap and shafted them up. I hit them the same as my regular irons but I didn't give them a long trial, maybe 5 rounds. I had tried SL probably 20 years ago and got the same results.
In addition - hitting wedges with shafts as long as a 6-iron reduces accuracy (no two ways about it) and it feels awkward - though I suppose one could get used to it. Not sure I'd want that.

I had a very good lesson yesterday and have homework on a few things.
My swing mechanics are pretty good and smooth. A few things going on:
* too aggressive on backswing ...too far and fast
* the plane of my swing is too vertical
* need to improve my stance to aid in balance

It's all good and gives me a direction for improvement.

I also borrowed my sons irons ... Calloway X Hots ... and tried those for awhile.
Not high end but, better than mine. Much more forgiving and felt better balanced.
Actually hitting the sweet spot.

Anyway, my research continues. I have talked with a few golf shops and it was suggested I could benefit from going with graphite shafts on my next irons.

Stay tuned ....

albireo, how is your flexibility and core strength? Improving on those might give you some benefits too. Our resort offers a "yoga for golfers" class. I say that, and I could use yoga to help with my running and for every day living, but I haven't done it yet. But I do planks and some stretching pretty regularly.

albireo, how is your flexibility and core strength? Improving on those might give you some benefits too. Our resort offers a "yoga for golfers" class. I say that, and I could use yoga to help with my running and for every day living, but I haven't done it yet. But I do planks and some stretching pretty regularly.

That is a good suggestion. There is a book, "Golf Fitness Over Fifty" that can help anyone with the core strength and flexibility. If you're in a colder climate, now is a great time to work on your golf fitness.

Also if your Pro has Trackman and 3 dimension video that can speed up the learning process and can also be useful when otherwise solid mechanics get a little out of whack.

Back
Top Bottom