US Credit Card for UK Rental Car Insurance

captain3d

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hi All

Are there any US credit cards that will cover the insurance for a rental car in the UK? I know many cover rentals in the US but want one for foreign rentals.

No idea on which credit cards, but keep in mind that most CC coverage is secondary and your personal auto insurance is probably not effective out of the country. The few times we've had a car in the Caribbean we've gone ahead and paid the daily rate for insurance.

If you find a primary coverage credit card that works out of the country I would love to know too.

Turns out our Chase Freedom card does cover this. In the US it will cover after your personal insurance but abroad it becomes the primary. Unfortunately it is limited to a 31 day rental and we are staying longer. Now I am wondering if I can split the rental or adjust our plan to fit.

"Additional Benefit Information

Provides reimbursement for damage due to collision or theft for most rental vehicles when traveling within the U.S. and abroad.
Within your country of residence coverage is secondary when renting for personal reasons and supplements any valid and collectible insurance or reimbursement from any source. Outside your country of residence you do not have to claim payment from any other source of insurance before receiving coverage under this benefit"

Last edited:
Chase United Club card offers primary insurance even overseas except for certain high end luxury brands or non-standard vehicles. Probably Chase Sapphire does too.

I know Chase Sapphire Reserve offers primary coverage. I had to file a claim a few times in 2021/22 and had no issues getting reimbursed.

No credit card gives you the full coverage you need, even while renting in the US. The vast majority of these companies lead people to believe it's all you need to protect yourself. Not even close although it can work in conjunction with your personal policy.

Also, make sure you get the tire and wheel coverage. Almost every American hit's the curb with the front left tire because of driving on the opposite side of the road. Without this extra insurance your on the tab for a new wheel and maybe tire. It's the first thing that look at when you return the car.

No credit card gives you the full coverage you need, even while renting in the US. The vast majority of these companies lead people to believe it's all you need to protect yourself. Not even close although it can work in conjunction with your personal policy.

Also, make sure you get the tire and wheel coverage. Almost every American hit's the curb with the front left tire because of driving on the opposite side of the road. Without this extra insurance your on the tab for a new wheel and maybe tire. It's the first thing that look at when you return the car.

What is the full cover you need that the card does not cover?

Many cards offer CDW (collision damage waiver) insurance and most extend this coverage overseas - always check your card benefits detail to ensure the coverage exists. The coverage is generally primary overseas (because your domestic coverage does not extend beyond borders).
Note that this is CDW only - it covers damage/theft on the vehicle you are renting not anything else. However the UK, like many countries, makes third party liability mandatory so it is included in the cost of your rental (you don't have a choice).
We've rented many times overseas using credit card for CDW - had a couple of claims (paid without issue).
31 day limit seems pretty standard. If you plan on longer just do 2 separate rentals (preferably from different locations).
Make sure to use a credit card that has no foreign transaction fees (Freedom will charge you 3% for example).
As a Chase customer look at the Sapphire Preferred card - $95 annual fee but the introductory bonus will more than cover that. It offers a range of travel insurance in addition to CDW. (If you are a frequent traveler the Sapphire Reserve, with a much higher fee, may be better - just do the math).
Barclay and Bank of America also have attractive cards. AMEX offers good coverage but limited acceptance overseas.

Ours excludes certain 'dangerous countries'. You never know how good the insurance is until you make a claim.

We have rented cars throughout Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, South and Central America. Never an issue. Our cards, three of them, specifically indicate that we do not buy the rental agency insurance.

A very few countries are not covered. A number of vehicle types are also not covered.

Last edited:
I used to use my Amex Blue Cash for additional car insurance when renting overseas including England. Haven’t had to use it since 2016 but I don’t expect much has changed.

Ah ok. Not too bad then

Just a quick FYI - visa signature (and infinite) cover tire/wheels. That was actually one of my claims they paid after I ripped open a tire on barbed wire on a narrow country road in the UK.

Just a quick FYI - visa signature (and infinite) cover tire/wheels. That was actually one of my claims they paid after I ripped open a tire on barbed wire on a narrow country road in the UK.

Good to know. VISA Signature underlies a lot of higher end credit cards.

ETA: my United Club card was upgraded to infinite in 2031, so it looks like we should have this type of coverage.

Last edited:
Chase Sapphire Reserve reimbursed me for two tires without any problems. Both were due to nails and on the same car. Unlucky on my part, but worked out fine. This was in the US.

The other claim I had was for a broken car window in Europe.

Between the first class and economy seats on a flight to another country, I would pay the insurance provided by the rental company in a foreign country, regardless of the credit card coverage.

Between the first class and economy seats on a flight to another country, I would pay the insurance provided by the rental company in a foreign country, regardless of the credit card coverage.

I plan to do that the first time I rent a car in Europe. Too many details/new things.

I’m hoping that with hybrids more common I can more easily rent an automatic shift car.

Paying the insurance at the rental desk will more or less double the cost. It can be quite shocking.

Paying the insurance at the rental desk will more or less double the cost. It can be quite shocking.
I believe when I arranged the rental online it already included the insurance. We ended up having to cancel that part of the trip for other reasons. Prepaid but completely refunded.

Often the booking includes the minimum legal requirements. Then you arrive to pick up and have your bill doubled if you want collision cover.

Often the booking includes the minimum legal requirements. Then you arrive to pick up and have your bill doubled if you want collision cover.
What I saw quoted looked like it did cover the full insurance minus some deductible.

Without having been there I didn’t see the final result.

However, I am not particularly price sensitive on travel expenses. I wouldn’t sweat higher car rental costs because it would be for a short time and low compared to the overall cost of a European trip. Once I felt like I understood how things worked, then I might look for less expensive alternatives.

Back
Top Bottom