Use a Password Mgr? Which One? Like It?

1Password Family edition. $48.00 yearly.

I use a very high tech system called a sheet of paper. Figure it's very unlikely to get "hacked". Even if house was broken into, highly unlikely it would be found where I keep it.

I use KeePassXC on various operating systems. Works on Linux and Windows and others.

I can simply copy the encrypted database to a thumb drive and take it with me on travel. My laptop has the software to open the database.

No cloud server sitting there waiting for smart teams of hackers to attack.

I like the password generator, the categories of sites I can create, ease of use.

I have approximately 200 different sites saved, each with their own unique random long password.

If I was going to use a spreadsheet, I'd encrypt the spreadsheet with veracrypt.

If you’re in the Apple ecosystem, you can use the built-in password manager. It securely shares passwords across your various Apple devices (iPhone, Mac, iPad, Apple TV).

Works great if you only use Apple devices...
+1. I keep my very sensitive passwords on a USB drive (paper backup in safe), it’s uncommon but commercial password managers have been hacked. But all the rest are managed by Apple. Apple also generates “strong” 16 character passwords - so my passwords are much stronger than in my PC days.

Last edited:
+1. I keep my very sensitive passwords on a USB drive (paper backup in safe), it’s uncommon but commercial password managers have been hacked. But all the rest are managed by Apple. Apple also generates “strong” 16 character passwords - so my passwords are much stronger than in my PC days.

is that a limitation by Apple ?

One of my password sites allows 50 character passwords, so mine is a random 49 character password :dance:

Conversely I have a bank that limits passwords to 6 characters :facepalm:

16 characters is still pretty good.

Attachments

• password crack time.jpg
    password crack time.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 46
DW and I use Lastpass. She is not a computer nerd but has gotten used to it. Every once in awhile I quiz her on the Lastpass password. :)

Paying for this is reasonable because it gives me a warm feeling that they will do everything in their power to keep it secure. Money is a great motivator.

KeePass. Open-source. No cloud. There's a port for Android. I sync the database manually along with other things I keep in sync, so no big deal.

I use KeePassXC on various operating systems. Works on Linux and Windows and others.

I can simply copy the encrypted database to a thumb drive and take it with me on travel. My laptop has the software to open the database.

No cloud server sitting there waiting for smart teams of hackers to attack.

I like the password generator, the categories of sites I can create, ease of use....
I bailed on LastPass and sneaky DashLane tried to weasel a subscription fee out of me, then settled on KeePass-XC and KeePass-XC-browser.

And another open source tool: SyncThing. So the KeePass file seamlessly keeps updated in my Android and Windows devices.

1. Do you use a password manager?
Yes. For many years now. I use lengthy, random character passwords. no way can i remember them.

2. Which One?
Roboform Everywhere. works everywhere....Our windows computers, iPhones, iPad and interfaces with the major browsers. https://www.roboform.com
a US company. https://www.roboform.com/about

3. Do you like it?
Love it.

4. (bonus question) Do you pay for it, and how much?
yes, ~$23 p/y. well worth it. there is a free version for trial.

I use free KeePass on my Windows devices and free KeePassium on iOS. They share the same database which I store on free Dropbox. The database and Dropbox are protected with very strong and unique passwords. I occasionally backup the database to a local removable drive and to OneDrive.

I don't know that this is the best practice but I've been doing it for a long time. Free Dropbox is no longer available to setup for more than 2 devices but I'm grandfathered for more.

I've used Lastpass for a couple of years. Works well for me and can be used across multiple devices.

is that a limitation by Apple ?

One of my password sites allows 50 character passwords, so mine is a random 49 character password :dance:

Conversely I have a bank that limits passwords to 6 characters :facepalm:
Not sure, one (2014) source stated 31 characters, another stated 250 characters? I’m good with 16 for now. :dance:

Last edited:
I use LastPass. It works great for me across all devices that I use. The $36/year that I pay for it is barely a blip on the radar. And I'm confident in the security model it uses.

I use LastPass. Some reviews have begun rating other password managers higher, but I'm used to LastPass, and I like its features - the vault, the notes, the emergency access. It works well across devices. I actually just recently printed out a paper copy of all my passwords, dated it, and put it with my important documents. The talk of cyber war potential motivated me.

Another nice thing about Lastpass is their emergency access feature. You can designate trusted people (who have to be on lasspass also) that can request your passwords after a set waiting period. For my sons, the waiting period is 7 days. During that time I can deny or approve the request. If nothing is done then after the waiting period they have a new folder in their LP with my passwords. Since they are single, they have the same setup with me. Speeds up access in a worse case scenario.

I was just thinking about asking this forum about password managers. We are up to a 5-page excel spreadsheet which will only get more cumbersome as we age. I watched a YouTube video describing 1Password and like the features. Now I just need to get past inertia and make the move! Maybe tomorrow.

Lastpass allows you to export your information + passwords to a file which I do about once per year. I put this on a memory stick which is stored away.

A few days ago DW accidentally overwrote one of my passwords. I was able to get the old one back easily by referring to the saved file.

Lastpass allows you to export your information + passwords to a file which I do about once per year. I put this on a memory stick which is stored away.

A few days ago DW accidentally overwrote one of my passwords. I was able to get the old one back easily by referring to the saved file.

LastPass lets you see your past passwords - to the right of the "Site Password" is an icon of a clock with a counter clockwise arrow. This will show all your old passwords for that site.

LastPass lets you see your past passwords - to the right of the "Site Password" is an icon of a clock with a counter clockwise arrow. This will show all your old passwords for that site.

Thanks, I didn't know that existed. But when I tried it just now on the password that I had to correct, it came up with "no history available". So I will continue to export and save for peace of mind.

Don't know why this happened. I verified that the feature worked on another password so it's a handy thing to remember.

I've been using PasswordSafe since about 2004. It's not one that shows up if you Google "top 10 password managers for 2022." And I kinda like that. It's a bit of a techie, enthusiast app, that seems less likely to draw the attention of serious hackers.

It's free, easy to use, and highly customizable. Passwords are only stored locally, which I like. Downside is I also run the Android version on my phone. So periodically I have to copy the database file from my PC to the phone.

In general, I can't imagine NOT using a password database. Most of my userIDs and passwords are 25 characters long, like: pv+{@R(K6Nm|cML04}Xe6)t95. So... nearly impossible to brute-force hack but also impossible to remember. Thus the need for a password manager, which makes it simple to use. I also use random passwords as answers to security questions.

The master password is 19 characters and also quite complex, yet fairly easy for both of us to remember and type quickly, even on a phone. The only written copy of the master password is in a secure place, known only by us and our two adult kids.

I also use a smartphone app called VIP Access for 2FA on most financial sites like Fidelity, as well as sites like Amazon and eBay that store a bunch of CC info. I prefer not to let sites email or text a 2FA code unless there's no other option. VIP Access seems to be gaining in popularity on tons of websites.

I've been using the free version of LastPass for the past several years. It's OK, but has some quirks (or else I'm doing something wrong) and I've been considering a switch to a different product. I'm looking at either purchasing LastPass or moving on and purchasing 1Password.

For those of you that have used both LastPass premium and 1Password premium, which one do you like better and why?

For those of you that narrowed your choice to either LastPass or 1Password, which did you end up choosing and why?

For those that tried LastPass free version and then upgraded to LastPass paid, is the upgrade worth it?

Well so far it seems about equal split among favorites between lastpass, 1password, and keepass. Then a smaller fraction of users for others.

Thanks for the information, I'm still deciding which to go with.

Well so far it seems about equal split among favorites between lastpass, 1password, and keepass. Then a smaller fraction of users for others.

Thanks for the information, I'm still deciding which to go with.

As you noted, there are several good choices available. The important thing is to pick one and use it. A good password manager is not just about security; it's just as much about convenience.

For those that tried LastPass free version and then upgraded to LastPass paid, is the upgrade worth it?

I believe the free version is for just 1 device. We use it on 2 PC's, 2 iPhones, and 2 iPads. Worth it for us, especially in sharing 1 Lastpass as I can help DW manage through any tech details.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom