USPS Informed Delivery rarely shows anything lately

I’m using the USPS Mobile app (residence and P.O. Box) and it works well. I plan to turn off the email notifications.

Mail has been light here in western Colorado. I thought had to do with I-70 being closed for the past two weeks because of serious mudslides. Can't move anything though ten feet of mud and boulders. The highway is open for now but could shut down again any minute.

I don't usually get much mail anyhow, except uninteresting mail order catalogs that the previous homeowners got.

I’m using the USPS Mobile app (residence and P.O. Box) and it works well. I plan to turn off the email notifications.

You might want to hold off on that - they sent an email out recently saying they are discontinuing the mobile app:

"In Summer 2021, USPS is discontinuing the Informed Delivery standalone mobile application. This application will no longer be available for download on your mobile device."

You might want to hold off on that - they sent an email out recently saying they are discontinuing the mobile app:

"In Summer 2021, USPS is discontinuing the Informed Delivery standalone mobile application. This application will no longer be available for download on your mobile device."

Yes. I think it has been replaced by USPS Mobile which offers informed delivery and other things.

Yes. I think it has been replaced by USPS Mobile which offers informed delivery and other things.

Aha, thanks! I just assumed because the post office was on hard times, they weren't supporting any mobile app anymore. Didn't realize it was just switching to another. Maybe I'll give that a try.

I'm still irked that they discontinued the Informed Delivery app. It was easy to use and convenient. The USPS Mobile app is really just a portal to the web page and I have to sign in every time so I just rely on the email now.

I'm still irked that they discontinued the Informed Delivery app. It was easy to use and convenient. The USPS Mobile app is really just a portal to the web page and I have to sign in every time so I just rely on the email now.

It doesn’t bother me. I just use a password manager (one for home, another for box). I like to trim email traffic.

I've been signed up for Informed Delivery for a few years, I think. I'd get a daily email showing all or at least most of what I'd be getting in the mail that day, or the next day at the latest. My mail box is in a kiosk two miles away from me, though pretty much on the way when I'm driving home, so it was helpful to know when it probably wasn't worth stopping.

Now, I rarely even get an email, and it almost always shows no mail coming. Are others enrolled in Informed Delivery seeing the same? Heard any news about it?

I think it started around the time when mail delivery got very unreliable, probably because the USPS didn't want to show mail that might not show up for a few more days. And maybe so it wouldn't slow down the sorting process.

our mail is always light as most important stuff is done via e-mail but what we do get matches up with our daily Informed Delivery.

I don’t find USPS Informed Delivery to be very helpful. We signed up for it to monitor mail while we were away for two months. The vast majority of mail pieces did not have a scanned image. Next time we go away for an extended time, we will go back to VTG service we previously used. Far superior to USPS Informed Delivery in many ways.

https://www.virtualpostmail.com

+1. Have to watch it, though, because "official" things still come in snail mail.

The package announcements are cryptic. If I'm expecting several packages, there's no way to know which one is being announced. One exception was some recycled sari silk from Australia, clearly labeled "Australia Post." No mistaking that one.

Fairly accurate.
Mostly junk mail.

+1. Have to watch it, though, because "official" things still come in snail mail.

The package announcements are cryptic. If I'm expecting several packages, there's no way to know which one is being announced. One exception was some recycled sari silk from Australia, clearly labeled "Australia Post." No mistaking that one.

I am waiting for my new Citi Custom Cash credit card.

Today, for example, USPS ID email says 5 pieces of mail.
All of them were junk mail.
We made the mistake of donating to a Native American charity; I forget which one.
Now we get a letter a week from the same two Catholic charities (one in NM and one in SD) serving Native Americans.
Because they are religious entities, they do not file Form 990 so you can't tell how much money they spend on fundraising.
I would imagine 20%+.

I don’t find USPS Informed Delivery to be very helpful. We signed up for it to monitor mail while we were away for two months. The vast majority of mail pieces did not have a scanned image. Next time we go away for an extended time, we will go back to VTG service we previously used. Far superior to USPS Informed Delivery in many ways.

https://www.virtualpostmail.com

But I think informed delivery will say "There is a piece that was not scanned", which at least gives you a clue.

I agree it is of somewhat marginal use, since some (larger and ?) do not get scanned. I still find it useful.

-ERD50

I find that, at least in my case, USPS Informed delivery is convenient to get a peek at what mail may be sitting in the mailbox. But nothing like actually physically checking.

As an example, recently I got a piece of mail that didn't show up on USPS Informed delivery. It was a jury summons :blush:.

Yep. Nothing like checking physically to be sure :popcorn:.

I find that, at least in my case, USPS Informed delivery is convenient to get a peek at what mail may be sitting in the mailbox. But nothing like actually physically checking.

As an example, recently I got a piece of mail that didn't show up on USPS Informed delivery. It was a jury summons :blush:.

Yep. Nothing like checking physically to be sure :popcorn:.
Sure, I still check every few days. Informed Delivery just told me whether it was ok to wait or if I should get it that day.

Once in awhile it could be more stressful to see the mail images. I got an image of a letter from the IRS once. I had the same spike of anxiety as I would get when I opened the box and saw the IRS envelope, but it lasted for a longer time until I got to the box and opened it. In this case it turned out to be something benign

Sure, I still check every few days. Informed Delivery just told me whether it was ok to wait or if I should get it that day.

Once in awhile it could be more stressful to see the mail images. I got an image of a letter from the IRS once. I had the same spike of anxiety as I would get when I opened the box and saw the IRS envelope, but it lasted for a longer time until I got to the box and opened it. In this case it turned out to be something benign

Oh yes mine was notification of my Covid stimulus payment. But I google the IRA office if came from and figured it out before the mail person came.

In our neighborhood, it's business as usual for the P.O. and it's getting worse as time goes on. And the Postmaster won't do anything about the pi$$ poor service after several folks have met with him.
+1

Getting a lot more of misdelivered mail recently.... I'll drop any misdelivered mail back in the outgoing mail box "the first time".... The second time I'll hand it to someone at the post office and "complain"... That seems to help for that one piece of mail. I'm not sure what they do with it but I don't get it a third time.

Email arriving later but still accurate.

Concerning to me was the fact even though o did a change of address o continued to get photographs of the mail going to my former house. All the new tenants mail. Alarming.

For us, Informed Delivery does not show the junk mail flyers, and magazines.

Maybe it only does First Class mailings ?

The ones we have gotten aren't necessarily first class. Most are pre-sorted rates. I think it has to do with the size of the mailer as well as the scanning equipment at your scanning location.

When Informed Deliver first started a few years ago it was accurate and I found it helpful. Now in my area it is pretty much worthless. Many days I do not get the Informed Delivery email but still get mail. Many days the email just says there is mail with no image. Sometime I get notice that mail is coming and it never shows up. I would give you my opinion of my local post office but I don't use that kind of language.

But I think informed delivery will say "There is a piece that was not scanned", which at least gives you a clue.

I agree it is of somewhat marginal use, since some (larger and ?) do not get scanned. I still find it useful.

-ERD50

I’m curious how you find it useful to know that a piece of mail came in that wasn’t scanned? I found that very frustrating when we were traveling as I thought the entire goal was to stay informed about the mail that was coming in.

Virtual Post Mail and other similar services scan the outside of EVERY piece of first class mail. You sign into their website and review the scanned envelope. You can direct them to shred it without opening it, forward it to you, or open it and scan and email the contents to you. I found that significantly more useful. While not free, it was a good value and we will use them again.

Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
I’m curious how you find it useful to know that a piece of mail came in that wasn’t scanned? I found that very frustrating when we were traveling as I thought the entire goal was to stay informed about the mail that was coming in.

Virtual Post Mail and other similar services scan the outside of EVERY piece of first class mail. You sign into their website and review the scanned envelope. You can direct them to shred it without opening it, forward it to you, or open it and scan and email the contents to you. I found that significantly more useful. While not free, it was a good value and we will use them again.

I qualified that by saying "of somewhat marginal use". For example, I'm expecting mail that I know comes in an oversize envelope. Those don't seem to get scanned. But if I get that note that I got mail that wasn't scanned, there's a good chance that's it.

It's better than nothing in that case, that's all. And I'm paying nothing for it, so I'm getting more than my money's worth.

Sure, if it was important to me, especially while traveling, I might want to pay for a service. But this is offered for free, so it's a plus to get any info at all.

Comparing a service you pay for to one that is offered by the provider at no charge is apples-oranges.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom