Vanguard Flagship

If Vanguard was serious about costs, they would have only one status level and get rid of the different share classes of their mutual funds, so that only Admiral was left. How much do all those differences cost Vanguard because of extra content in prospectuses, web site links, confusion to clients, etc.? Dispense with all that crap and just have one set for everybody and save a ton of costs.

Aren't they moving this way with lower admiral minimums and ETFs?

I think the different statuses are a holdover from when they had paper mailings. It seemed like the stuff they used to send me killed several tree a year. Last year I had 32 statements (maybe on average 10 pages each) plus confirmations, tax forms, and prospectuses for 20+ funds.

So my account balances at Vanguard have been in the "two comma club" for some time now, and I noticed that my account was still classified as "Voyager".

I sent a message to them last Friday, asking why my account was not Flagship status.

Today, I get a response from them with the following statement (below).

Seriously? I have to point it out to them and then it takes them "a few weeks" to confirm it?

"Since you indicated that you meet the criteria for becoming a Flagship
client, we have forwarded your request to Flagship's Enrollment Team. If
enrolled, you will be contacted in a few weeks by the Flagship
representative assigned to you."

If I were you, I would call the general 800 number and ask whoever answered why you don't have Flagship status and that you are mighty unhappy about it. I bet you will be upgraded pretty quickly.

When we started with Vanguard back in 2008, rolling still-working DH's 401(k) of just over $1million over when he reached 59.5, we called the general number on a late Saturday afternoon. When the rep asked the balance, he said to hold on and in a few seconds a Flagship person took over. We felt very important even though we have used only the free Turbotax benefit since then.

If I were you, I would call the general 800 number and ask whoever answered why you don't have Flagship status and that you are mighty unhappy about it. I bet you will be upgraded pretty quickly

:)

In a moment of complete indiscretion, I responded to their message with "Are you kidding me? I have to point it out to YOU and then it takes you a few weeks to confirm it when I can go online and do so in 10 seconds? That's utterly ridiculous."

We'll see what happens.

:)

In a moment of complete indiscretion, I responded to their message with "Are you kidding me? I have to point it out to YOU and then it takes you a few weeks to confirm it when I can go online and do so in 10 seconds? That's utterly ridiculous."

We'll see what happens.

Your email exchange is probably just floating around. A phone call from you might garner much more attention.

Your email exchange is probably just floating around. A phone call from you might garner much more attention.
End of year work could be heavy at Vanguard. You are just getting automated messages because the system is pretty fully loaded. Don't forget they have thousands of clients.

I agree with Bestwifeever, just give them a call with the facts you've mentioned here and put your mind at ease.

The fund industry's peak volumes are December through April. Given your doing business via email and it's a non-financial transaction it could be a lower priority piece of work to them. Believe it or not sometimes emails (and faxes) do really get lost!

I'd give them a call and speak with a representative or their supervisor. That way you can casually mention other fund provider's and their elite level benefits.

I had to do this with a different organization once, they removed my options trading privileges. I just casually mentioned my AUM with them and what my expectation of great customer service was. It was fixed that day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom