Vanguard is going downhill

Somehow that doesn't surprise me. Seems apps are the trend these days.

Who wants to view financial information on a large computer screen when you have the privilege to swipe back and forth on a smartphone, hunched and squinting along the way? :(

+1

I rarely use the apps by my brokers. I have not even installed the VG app.

I don't have the need to make a trade when I am standing in line at Costco, or while waiting at a dentist office. Occasionally, I may be curious about how my stocks are doing intraday, and take a peek on my phone when I am not doing anything else.

+1

I rarely use the apps by my brokers. I have not even installed the VG app.

I don't have the need to make a trade when I am standing in line at Costco, or while waiting at a dentist office. Occasionally, I may be curious about how my stocks are doing intraday, and take a peek on my phone when I am not doing anything else.

I don’t used the mini phone version, I used the iPad version, at home.
Some apps are terrible and just display web pages. VG has both.
Just now, I got the system unavailable message when I attempted to try to login via website, but with the app, I got in and was still able to access the web pages.

One good thing about the new layout is that my Relationship Manager is attractive and is on the front page.
You guys must be rich. My relationship manager is a phone pool number.

I thought they did that to everyone?

I used to have a guy that looked just like Charles Payne. I liked him. Then they pooled me.

You guys must be rich. My relationship manager is a phone pool number.

I thought they did that to everyone?

I used to have a guy that looked just like Charles Payne. I liked him. Then they pooled me.

I also lost mine long ago, though I never used her so no big loss. In fact at the time I looked her up on the FINRA website and she had a previous conviction for check kiting. :facepalm: I thought that was odd.

If it makes you feel better I have not yet talked to my new, attractive relationship manager yet. I talked to her predecessors perhaps once a year unless I needed help with a transaction.

And even though I have a relationship manager it seems that whenever I call I get thrown into the pool anyway. The only way I can talk with my relationship manager is to make an appointment.

I feel better. I think. Check kiting and they still work in finance? Whuut?

... The only way I can talk with my relationship manager is to make an appointment.

Maybe VG's plan is to pick your pocket by pairing you up with an attractive relationship manager. Soon, you may be setting up an appointment whether you need any help at all :cool:.

Maybe VG's plan is to pick your pocket by pairing you up with an attractive relationship manager.

Vanguard purchased a history of PB4's social media activity from a third-party vendor. After reviewing his data, VG decided that the probability of retaining PB4 as a client would be maximized by presenting a hot babe as his relationship manager. PB4's VG RM is actually a decrepit old guy. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(

Now that there are no fees on trading I guess it doesn’t really matter who your broker is. I recently opened a Chase You Invest Account for the $1,000 bonus. I kinda like it so am keeping it for now. My cash I keep in VMMXX and I have some individuals stocks. All with Chase. Also wire transfers in and out are free and ATM fees are reimbursed.

Now we have a picture of our Flagship rep and his phone #.

One good thing about the new layout is that my Relationship Manager is attractive and is on the front page.

How have you managed to keep your own rep? As someone else mentioned, I thought they had eliminated their individually assigned reps and switched to a Flagship team system.

It was my recent experience with this team that convinced me to start moving funds out of Vanguard after being a loyal client for many years. To get a simple transaction done (not possible online), I had to talk for a good hour to a half dozen inexperienced reps who contradicted each other. I've let them know through several channels about my terrible experience, told them they could contact me, and ... crickets.

I've dipped my toe in at Fidelity by transferring my HSA over to them. (Vanguard not offering HSA services is another issue for me.) Their customer service has been noticeably better. I expect to transfer my IRA funds to them in the future.

Last edited:
How have you managed to keep your own rep? As someone else mentioned, I thought they had eliminated their individually assigned reps and switched to a Flagship team system.
Read around on their pages, I think I decoded the matrix here.

If you have over $5M AUM, I think you still get assigned a personal rep because you are Flagship Select.

I apologize about the "rich" joke earlier. I didn't know they had more levels after $1M. Anyone in any Flagship level is in darn good shape compared to most.

Essentially, they moved the goalposts for a personal advisor instead of just moving the whole Flagship class requirement to a higher number.

Last edited:
My recent interaction with Vanguard has also been negative. Had some questions about RMD and QCD and wanted to speak to a rep. Tried to make an appointment and was told it would be almost two weeks to speak to someone. Sent a secure message to Vanguard, and got a note back saying they were sorry but my rep was on vacation...I am a Flagship customer, and I was under the impression it meant something.

I am a Flagship customer, and I was under the impression it meant something.
At one time it did. But with that surge of popularity they got starting about 10 years ago, looks like they now have too many Flagship customers.

From what we're reading, people with personal reps still have issues scheduling meetings anyway. That's disappointing!

I always had a personal rep with Vanguard until recently. [edit: I just looked and I have a personal rep] As others noted, they raised the AUM threshold for “personal reps.” Just a cost saving measure now that VG has competition and to induce more PAS subscriptions.

But IMO you’re not missing anything without a “personal rep.” 15-20 years ago they were more competent professionals, but for years now the personal reps didn’t know much beyond absolute basics and they’d have to “get back to you” for most answers. So it’s been a team effort for a long time. I rarely have a question but when I do I email knowing the answer will take a team effort. I quit actually calling years ago - no point.

Vanguard is not a hand-holding company, never has been. Low cost and full retail service don’t go together.

But it is reasonable to expect accurate accounting and transactions.

And I looked at the new format for the first time just now. The differences are pretty subtle from what I noticed, no big deal...

Last edited:
I have been with Vanguard since about 1984. I have always viewed them as simply a mutual find company with a large stable of decent performing, no load, low cost funds. I gradually put money in their funds while working and now intend to gradually take money out while retired. They have easily met my needs in that regard. At one time, I did more actively trade individual stocks and ETFs with a portion of our money, but I did all that through my TD Ameritrade account. I would never expect to do that through Vanguard.

I try to pick the right tool for my particular need and recognize that firms who try to move beyond their core competencies are often unsuccessful. For the same reason, I'm happy to use USAA for insurance, but I would not turn to them for banking or investment services.

I have been with Vanguard since about 1984. I have always viewed them as simply a mutual find company with a large stable of decent performing, no load, low cost funds. I gradually put money in their funds while working and now intend to gradually take money out while retired. They have easily met my needs in that regard. At one time, I did more actively trade individual stocks and ETFs with a portion of our money, but I did all that through my TD Ameritrade account. I would never expect to do that through Vanguard.

I try to pick the right tool for my particular need and recognize that firms who try to move beyond their core competencies are often unsuccessful. For the same reason, I'm happy to use USAA for insurance, but I would not turn to them for banking or investment services.

That's exactly how I feel about Vanguard, and exactly how my father thought about Vanguard 40 years ago. A lot of fluff has evolved over the last 40 years, and that fluff is not part of their core competency. I own specific funds within the Vanguard family that are in my opinion superior to competing products. I would not own or trade individual stocks there nor would I put them in charge of important things like RMD's.

Just got off the phone with Vanguard CSR. When ever, I call, they are all polite and patient.
And can walk me thru the process.

My complaint, is "navigating ", Vanguard's website is not intuitive/logical. Which is why,
I have to call.

Wish, Vanguard's IT department would get it's act together!

My complaint, is "navigating ", Vanguard's website is not intuitive/logical. Which is why,
I have to call.

Wish, Vanguard's IT department would get it's act together!

For years, I've had to go outside of Vanguard's site to search for anything because I get "not found" notices.

I get that they are a low cost company, but come on... fix your site!

I’m usually able to find what I’m looking for on the VG website pretty easily, and I’ve never gotten a “not found” screen. I only use the website, not the mobile app. Wish I could help but I just tried a bunch of links on the website and all came back as expected. Any examples?

Last edited:
I’m usually able to find what I’m looking for on the VG website pretty easily, and I’ve never gotten a “not found” screen.

There is a screen where you are supposed to be able to set a new "target" asset allocation. The flash based tool lets you pick your desired allocation, but when you submit it returns the not found error. It has been broken for at least the last several months.

I've been a VG customer for twenty years plus. Recently moved a small IRA (<$100K) from VG to FIDO in nine business days. Did everything on line without dealing with any humans. I have no problems with VG or their site.

I have always viewed them as simply a mutual find company with a large stable of decent performing, no load, low cost funds. I gradually put money in their funds while working and now intend to gradually take money out while retired. They have easily met my needs in that regard.

I largely viewed them the same way until recently. If I had been able to continue to do everything online, I would probably have remained satisfied with Vanguard -- although I still think they need to add now-basic products like HSAs if they want to encourage the centralization of assets with them.

My transaction was not complicated -- it involved converting the Roth portion of my 401k to a Roth IRA -- but once I got to the end of their website process, it told me it wasn't possible to accomplish this online. (I wish it had told me this at the beginning.) After that, about everything they could do wrong, they did, and my interactions with their customer representatives did not inspire confidence.

There is a screen where you are supposed to be able to set a new "target" asset allocation. The flash based tool lets you pick your desired allocation, but when you submit it returns the not found error. It has been broken for at least the last several months.
I stand corrected. I found the new target AA (on the FP now) link and couldn't get it to work either, maybe a flash issue as you note. That isn't at all professional of Vanguard.

I stand corrected. I found the new target AA (on the FP now) link and couldn't get it to work either, maybe a flash issue as you note. That isn't at all professional of Vanguard.

Works for me, using the VG app for the iPad.

Have either of you called or sent VG a note telling them they have a problem?

It could be a flash issue that VG is waiting for a fix?

Works for me, using the VG app for the iPad.

Have either of you called or sent VG a note telling them they have a problem?

It could be a flash issue that VG is waiting for a fix?
+1
No providers know of problems we have with the application unless the issue is reported to them. They may or may not be using the application the same way as us, and their machines are all ghosted from a central config with any 3rd party software bundled in.

The android app also works fine in relation to the AA graph for me.

After 20+ years with them, bailed out 3-4 yrs ago.
No regrets on leaving at all.

Back
Top Bottom