Vanguard Portfolio Analysis tool

Fedup

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So yesterday this tool shows I was in 75% in stocks and zero in cash which is not the case. What could possibly cause this tool to be out of whack. I didn't know it has a problem because I rely on this to tell me my AA. What are your thoughts on this?

You should be able to drill down to see exactly how the Vanguard classifies each of your assets as well as the percentage of each individual holding. Do you have everything in your AA loaded into the tool?

I didn't know I have to load the AA tool. I thought it's smart enough to tell except for cash covered puts.

It should recognize and categorize everything you have at Vanguard. You have to load in anything held by another financial institution.

I also find Vanguard quote system has quirks.

I hold shares of a very thinly traded stock - it trades maybe 6 times a year - yes, no kidding - and a few months ago Vanguard took my stock value down to $0 from $20K.

Called Vanguard, they explained that if a stock has not traded for a long time, it is assigned a zero value until such time as a trade occurs again.

Might this be something that you have experienced? If you hold only active issues in the account, then it would not apply.

Thought I'd throw it out, just in case.

It should recognize and categorize everything you have at Vanguard. You have to load in anything held by another financial institution.
I'm just asking about what I have at Vanguard only. Even what I have doesn't reflect correctly on the analysis tool.

I'm just asking about what I have at Vanguard only. Even what I have doesn't reflect correctly on the analysis tool.

Vanguard now has a pretty good explanation of how the tool works and how the tool doesn't work. Did you click on that and read it?

I am surprised that it would misidentify cash....

However, I have bought a good number of preferred and think of them as bonds but Vanguard thinks of them as stocks... so, I just do a ball park... accuracy on the AA is not high on my list of things to worry about...

Vanguard's tool works well for my portfolio... you can drill down to see how it is classifying certain things.

Vanguard now has a pretty good explanation of how the tool works and how the tool doesn't work. Did you click on that and read it?

I need to reread it again but when I first read it was not obvious.

I am surprised that it would misidentify cash....

However, I have bought a good number of preferred and think of them as bonds but Vanguard thinks of them as stocks... so, I just do a ball park... accuracy on the AA is not high on my list of things to worry about...
This could be a problem. I have VCSH and I trade in and out to take advantage of the price swing. Maybe this is where I need to dig deeper. But the zero percentage of cash is a mistery.

So I spent a bit of time looking at the accounts not. I think the Portfolio analysis doesn't reflect current account but also the ETF settlement date as well, kind of like a delay effect. Maybe I did have zero cash or close to zero cash for a day. But I sold some VCSH immediately the following day when the bond market popped briefly. I often put in a low bid of the day to see if I can buy lower and put in a higher bid of the day to see if I can sell higher. So the effect with zero cash sometime.

It works fine for me. I have ETFs and mutual funds at Vanguard, and cash and CDs outside of Vanguard.

I made sure to categorize all my non-Vanguard holdings properly. It's not difficult at all.

I have noticed that VG classifies certain Exchange Traded Notes as equities rather than bonds, e.g., ISM.

Back
Top Bottom